ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Blue shirts

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
pieoftheday
Posts: 1843
Joined: 11 Mar 2010, 16:43
Gender: Male

Re: Blue shirts

Post by pieoftheday »

In the 80s the grey suit looked smart but I could never get the lighter summer trousers for some reason and the heavy grey ones would destroy you in summer, all sweaty and itchy, horrible...
mjd24
Posts: 1409
Joined: 11 May 2008, 18:48

Re: Blue shirts

Post by mjd24 »

SpacePhoenix wrote: ↑
19 Jul 2022, 06:09
Dorset Plodder wrote: ↑
18 Jul 2022, 22:29
postieblueshirt wrote: ↑
18 Jul 2022, 22:08
God this was a shirt n tie job wtf happened.....
Dropping Standards Mate. :sad:

Nowadays these Young Whipper Snappers wouldn't know how to knot a tie, let alone wear one. I remember chatting to the "Old Gits" when I joined (remember Royal Mail used to be a Reserved Occupation for Ex-Servicemen) and they used to talk about actually being INSPECTED before they were allowed out on Delivery! :shock:

As previously mentioned in a few posts, nowadays we look more like a bunch of Tramps, delivering the mail in football strips and tracky bottoms. :no no
And IF you're one of them then you're a Twat! Get a Grip of yourself FFS. :cuppa
In a MC a tie would be an H&S issue, if it got caught up in a machine, same reason that lanyards have to be tucked away (or at least be of the type that quickly pops open if any sort of strain is placed on it)
Maybe give wearing a tie a try.
thedonkey
Posts: 141
Joined: 28 Nov 2016, 13:57
Gender: Male

Re: Blue shirts

Post by thedonkey »

ted_e_bear wrote: ↑
17 Jul 2022, 18:49
clashcityrocker wrote: ↑
17 Jul 2022, 18:38
Isn't there a red shirt in the new uniform?
Yeah it's called the performance shirt or some bollox, it's more like a normal shirt than the thicker polo shirts, if you get one it counts as two ordinary shirts from your allowance though.
Why is it counted as 2?
New uniform arrived so for 5 days I have 2 polo shirts and one of the bollox performance shirt. 3 shirt allowance is not enough.
thedonkey
Posts: 141
Joined: 28 Nov 2016, 13:57
Gender: Male

Re: Blue shirts

Post by thedonkey »

posties go about looking like meter readers RM must be saving millions on uniforms.

New uniform could be easily mistaken for DPD.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: Blue shirts

Post by Dorset Plodder »

mjd24 wrote: ↑
19 Jul 2022, 17:13

In a MC a tie would be an H&S issue, if it got caught up in a machine, same reason that lanyards have to be tucked away (or at least be of the type that quickly pops open if any sort of strain is placed on it)
Maybe give wearing a tie a try. :left:

Now Now Play nicely Boys. I'm glad you realised I was only JOKING about the tie Deadly :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
postieblueshirt
Posts: 1241
Joined: 01 Oct 2019, 22:05
Gender: Male

Re: Blue shirts

Post by postieblueshirt »

HTPostman wrote: ↑
19 Jul 2022, 13:59
I think there needs to be a happy medium between the two.

No we shouldn’t be wearing Adidas shorts and Nike tops.

However likewise to the ‘shirt and tie’ club; back in the day what time was your first and last letter on an average day? How many delivery points did you have? How many houses on average did you have to knock at? That last one is a biggie for me, when I’m walking I get a smidge of a breeze. When I’m stood on a sun trap patio with a special/tracked/recorded waiting for an answer that’s when I really feel the heat.

Anyway if only our employers communicated with us and worked with us to develop uniform that’s smart but also suitable for being out in the warmest part of the day.
agree on most of that but my first duty had 687 so much the same size as i have now and no sky mags..
Cedar_Room
Posts: 826
Joined: 31 Aug 2007, 14:09

Re: Blue shirts

Post by Cedar_Room »

I know it’s not a fashion parade but the performance shirt & the long trousers look absolutely shocking
“Shorts,in this weather?!”

“If they’re bills I don’t want ‘em!”

“What’s she been ordering now?”
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16709
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: Blue shirts

Post by clashcityrocker »

Cedar_Room wrote: ↑
20 Jul 2022, 17:07
I know it’s not a fashion parade but
For some of us it always has been exactly that.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
Foxel
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 514
Joined: 04 Oct 2021, 21:20
Gender: Male

Re: Blue shirts

Post by Foxel »

The uniform should have a waterproof half-cape, that you can hang over your arm when carrying mail in the rain. :hmmmm
I'm turning purple!
blue1873
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 8900
Joined: 16 Feb 2010, 17:50
Gender: Male

Re: Blue shirts

Post by blue1873 »

Foxel wrote: ↑
20 Jul 2022, 23:31
The uniform should have a waterproof half-cape, that you can hang over your arm when carrying mail in the rain. :hmmmm
And in the warmer months instead of wearing a tie perhaps a loose fitting cravat :nana :thumbup
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16709
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: Blue shirts

Post by clashcityrocker »

I have a Royal Mail cumberbund I like to wear with the smoking jacket.
Are these items still available?
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
blue1873
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 8900
Joined: 16 Feb 2010, 17:50
Gender: Male

Re: Blue shirts

Post by blue1873 »

clashcityrocker wrote: ↑
21 Jul 2022, 14:09
I have a Royal Mail cumberbund I like to wear with the smoking jacket.
Are these items still available?
Only in your dreams "Clash" sadly only in your dreams :pray
mjd24
Posts: 1409
Joined: 11 May 2008, 18:48

Re: Blue shirts

Post by mjd24 »

Foxel wrote: ↑
20 Jul 2022, 23:31
The uniform should have a waterproof half-cape, that you can hang over your arm when carrying mail in the rain. :hmmmm
Or we could wear large hat umbrellas.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: Blue shirts

Post by Dorset Plodder »

clashcityrocker wrote: ↑
21 Jul 2022, 14:09
I have a Royal Mail cumberbund I like to wear with the smoking jacket. :left:
Are these items still available?
You need to be at Director Level and then they're available through they're online account at Harrods. :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
hotfudge
Posts: 55
Joined: 06 Jan 2011, 15:49
Gender: Male
Location: in the grasp of satan (RMG)

Re: Blue shirts

Post by hotfudge »

Tried to get some more tops today as mine are literally full of holes only to be told that indoor staff won't be getting new uniform until 2023 and no old blue shirts/ polos in stock.