ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Clock IN & OUT

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: Clock IN & OUT

Post by Dorset Plodder »

rambo1 wrote: ↑
30 Aug 2021, 10:35

On a Saturday, one runner has been known to finish it by midday.
Getting out at say, 9.30 if it's like our office on a Saturday, you're seriously saying someone can do that rural delivery in 2 1/2 hrs including travel and breaks!


It's amazing how some people can get get their "Massive, Over Sized, Far to Long" Duty done several hours early on a Saturday isn't it? :whistle

This Saturday one of my hard done by, put upon colleagues actually finished by 11.30 :shock: ... AND had the Brass Neck to book an Hours Early IPS (obviously used to prep his own Duty) :arrrghhh .... I jest not. :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12195
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Re: Clock IN & OUT

Post by SpacePhoenix »

rambo1 wrote: ↑
30 Aug 2021, 10:35
HTPostman wrote: ↑
28 Aug 2021, 19:11
rambo1 wrote: ↑
23 Aug 2021, 22:09
HTPostman wrote: ↑
22 Aug 2021, 10:44
on_the_way_OUT wrote: ↑
21 Aug 2021, 19:42
You finish 45 mins early..... what do you do sit in a cafe for 45 mins with the PDA Actuals reporting as such or go back to the office and sit in the canteen? A lot of the time there just isn't the extra work to take you to your time.
I had this exact same issue last week when I finished 90 minutes early. I’m a reserve so I can’t look at a rural round I’ve not done for 6 months and accurately gauge how long it takes and inform a manager that I’ll be done way before time. Instead I took everything, bundled it up, did vehicle checks took a break etc. It was one of those days where everyone was in, very little traffic, even every traffic light seemed to be on green. I had no signal so couldn’t ring a manager to ask what they wanted me to do.

So I either sat in the van for 90 minutes or come back and see what they wanted me to do. I chose the latter, when I got back all the managers had gone anyway.

It’s a bit different for me as I am on a 5 hour a day contract but usually get asked in early to prep, so I’d already done my 5 hours. Will be interesting to see if they dock my morning OT by 90 minutes.
This sort of stuff beggars belief. So you got paid to come in early AND still finished 90 mins early. So did you start the duty you were on at their start time? If so that duty needs looking at. There's no way any rural should be possible to do 1 1/2hrs early no matter how light the day.
I did start at duty time, yes. The duty holder who retired in early January was an incredibly slow walker, I mean that with the greatest of respects as he was getting on a bit but I can see why they never added extra on. The woman who’s now doing it is on one of those ‘I need to finish early to pick the kids up’ agreements so she’s allowed to start 90mins early and finish 90mins early. I’ll never understand why some are allowed to do that but others can’t but that’s for another conversation. So that creates issues when I’m allowed in at normal duty start time but then my finish time is a full 90 minutes (or so) later than the woman who usually does it.

I do full van checks, take breaks etc.

On a Saturday, one runner has been known to finish it by midday.
Getting out at say, 9.30 if it's like our office on a Saturday, you're seriously saying someone can do that rural delivery in 2 1/2 hrs including travel and breaks!
There's bound to be loads of rural walks round the country where travel time is easily 1hr+
Dindin
Posts: 491
Joined: 29 Jul 2019, 17:19
Gender: Male

Re: Clock IN & OUT

Post by Dindin »

All that is needed is a scan at the end of the duty say 225pm job done.
2yearpostie
Posts: 1839
Joined: 03 Mar 2020, 15:36
Gender: Male

Re: Clock IN & OUT

Post by 2yearpostie »

Dindin wrote: ↑
01 Sep 2021, 09:52
All that is needed is a scan at the end of the duty say 225pm job done.
Already do it, what do you REALLY think the consolidation scan is for?????
Cedar_Room
Posts: 826
Joined: 31 Aug 2007, 14:09

Re: Clock IN & OUT

Post by Cedar_Room »

Not everyone scans the consolidation point though. In our office if you don’t empty any post boxes on your duty,you don’t need to scan out at the end of the day…
“Shorts,in this weather?!”

“If they’re bills I don’t want ‘em!”

“What’s she been ordering now?”
HTPostman
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1507
Joined: 01 Sep 2008, 23:53
Gender: Male

Re: Clock IN & OUT

Post by HTPostman »

rambo1 wrote: ↑
30 Aug 2021, 10:30
So she's kicking her heels in a morning coz she comes in 90 mins early! Waiting for packets to get sorted and soecials in the locker, and the only reason she can still finish on time is because the delivery part of the duty is 90 mins shorter than it should be!! Unbelievable practices that go on at some offices!
Still begs the question why when they know this, did they pay you overtime in the morning and not just say do the hrs that the duty holder does ? Are they a bit thick?
Kicking her heels = in the smokers shelter every half hour but each to their own.

I’m confused about duty holder time. I come in at the start time for that section. It’s the same time as the duty holder who retired. The woman who now does the round (even though it’s not technically her duty) is allowed in 90 mins early and then finishes 90 mins early, I don’t have that luxury.

End of the day I was asked to come in at the duty start time to prep the round and give a hand on IPS. I did both, went out on time, did van checks, had my break and made every effort when I got back to locate one of 8 line managers to find out what they wanted me to do. Not a single one was there.

Let’s be honest here, what would everyone else here do? Sit in the office twiddling their thumbs? Or bugger off like everyone else who gets back early does (be it 9 minutes or 90 minutes)? If the latter would you go into the managers office on payday and had him back some money from the time you didn’t work?
The day is gonna come when we’re all gonna have to testify.

526
HTPostman
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1507
Joined: 01 Sep 2008, 23:53
Gender: Male

Re: Clock IN & OUT

Post by HTPostman »

rambo1 wrote: ↑
30 Aug 2021, 10:35
HTPostman wrote: ↑
28 Aug 2021, 19:11
rambo1 wrote: ↑
23 Aug 2021, 22:09
HTPostman wrote: ↑
22 Aug 2021, 10:44
on_the_way_OUT wrote: ↑
21 Aug 2021, 19:42
You finish 45 mins early..... what do you do sit in a cafe for 45 mins with the PDA Actuals reporting as such or go back to the office and sit in the canteen? A lot of the time there just isn't the extra work to take you to your time.
I had this exact same issue last week when I finished 90 minutes early. I’m a reserve so I can’t look at a rural round I’ve not done for 6 months and accurately gauge how long it takes and inform a manager that I’ll be done way before time. Instead I took everything, bundled it up, did vehicle checks took a break etc. It was one of those days where everyone was in, very little traffic, even every traffic light seemed to be on green. I had no signal so couldn’t ring a manager to ask what they wanted me to do.

So I either sat in the van for 90 minutes or come back and see what they wanted me to do. I chose the latter, when I got back all the managers had gone anyway.

It’s a bit different for me as I am on a 5 hour a day contract but usually get asked in early to prep, so I’d already done my 5 hours. Will be interesting to see if they dock my morning OT by 90 minutes.
This sort of stuff beggars belief. So you got paid to come in early AND still finished 90 mins early. So did you start the duty you were on at their start time? If so that duty needs looking at. There's no way any rural should be possible to do 1 1/2hrs early no matter how light the day.
I did start at duty time, yes. The duty holder who retired in early January was an incredibly slow walker, I mean that with the greatest of respects as he was getting on a bit but I can see why they never added extra on. The woman who’s now doing it is on one of those ‘I need to finish early to pick the kids up’ agreements so she’s allowed to start 90mins early and finish 90mins early. I’ll never understand why some are allowed to do that but others can’t but that’s for another conversation. So that creates issues when I’m allowed in at normal duty start time but then my finish time is a full 90 minutes (or so) later than the woman who usually does it.

I do full van checks, take breaks etc.

On a Saturday, one runner has been known to finish it by midday.
Getting out at say, 9.30 if it's like our office on a Saturday, you're seriously saying someone can do that rural delivery in 2 1/2 hrs including travel and breaks!
Yes. There’s 1 and a half hours of businesses, all but 1 business is shut on a Saturday. So it’s a 4 hour delivery UNLESS it’s not gone the previous day.

It’s an incredibly hard duty to guess. I’ve done it with 3 days mail and finished in 4 and a half hours. I’ve done it with 2 days mail and it’s taken me 5 hours.
The day is gonna come when we’re all gonna have to testify.

526
Dindin
Posts: 491
Joined: 29 Jul 2019, 17:19
Gender: Male

Re: Clock IN & OUT

Post by Dindin »

2yearpostie wrote: ↑
01 Sep 2021, 10:14
Dindin wrote: ↑
01 Sep 2021, 09:52
All that is needed is a scan at the end of the duty say 225pm job done.
Already do it, what do you REALLY think the consolidation scan is for?????
My consolidation scan is 1125am . Make everyone scan it
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

Re: Clock IN & OUT

Post by rambo1 »

HTPostman wrote: ↑
01 Sep 2021, 12:47
rambo1 wrote: ↑
30 Aug 2021, 10:30
So she's kicking her heels in a morning coz she comes in 90 mins early! Waiting for packets to get sorted and soecials in the locker, and the only reason she can still finish on time is because the delivery part of the duty is 90 mins shorter than it should be!! Unbelievable practices that go on at some offices!
Still begs the question why when they know this, did they pay you overtime in the morning and not just say do the hrs that the duty holder does ? Are they a bit thick?
Kicking her heels = in the smokers shelter every half hour but each to their own.

I’m confused about duty holder time. I come in at the start time for that section. It’s the same time as the duty holder who retired. The woman who now does the round (even though it’s not technically her duty) is allowed in 90 mins early and then finishes 90 mins early, I don’t have that luxury.

End of the day I was asked to come in at the duty start time to prep the round and give a hand on IPS. I did both, went out on time, did van checks, had my break and made every effort when I got back to locate one of 8 line managers to find out what they wanted me to do. Not a single one was there.

Let’s be honest here, what would everyone else here do? Sit in the office twiddling their thumbs? Or bugger off like everyone else who gets back early does (be it 9 minutes or 90 minutes)? If the latter would you go into the managers office on payday and had him back some money from the time you didn’t work?
Wasn't saying it was your fault. It's bad management. Still can't understand how this woman comes in 90 mins early. There wouldn't be anyone there sorting anything so how can she get out early?
HTPostman
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1507
Joined: 01 Sep 2008, 23:53
Gender: Male

Re: Clock IN & OUT

Post by HTPostman »

rambo1 wrote: ↑
01 Sep 2021, 22:44
[quote=HTPostman post_id=949251 time=<a href="tel:1630496837">1630496837</a> user_id=6899]
[quote=rambo1 post_id=949027 time=<a href="tel:1630315855">1630315855</a> user_id=53553]
So she's kicking her heels in a morning coz she comes in 90 mins early! Waiting for packets to get sorted and soecials in the locker, and the only reason she can still finish on time is because the delivery part of the duty is 90 mins shorter than it should be!! Unbelievable practices that go on at some offices!
Still begs the question why when they know this, did they pay you overtime in the morning and not just say do the hrs that the duty holder does ? Are they a bit thick?
Kicking her heels = in the smokers shelter every half hour but each to their own.

I’m confused about duty holder time. I come in at the start time for that section. It’s the same time as the duty holder who retired. The woman who now does the round (even though it’s not technically her duty) is allowed in 90 mins early and then finishes 90 mins early, I don’t have that luxury.

End of the day I was asked to come in at the duty start time to prep the round and give a hand on IPS. I did both, went out on time, did van checks, had my break and made every effort when I got back to locate one of 8 line managers to find out what they wanted me to do. Not a single one was there.

Let’s be honest here, what would everyone else here do? Sit in the office twiddling their thumbs? Or bugger off like everyone else who gets back early does (be it 9 minutes or 90 minutes)? If the latter would you go into the managers office on payday and had him back some money from the time you didn’t work?
[/quote]

Wasn't saying it was your fault. It's bad management. Still can't understand how this woman comes in 90 mins early. There wouldn't be anyone there sorting anything so how can she get out early?
[/quote]

I have a feeling my office works differently to most others. We have people working through the night, so there’s always parcels ready, trays to sort through of manual stuff, mech is usually ready from 6am.

We are a hub I believe for other offices - we have the letter sorting machines running through the night for our own offices and for other offices. The only day it fully shuts is Christmas Day.

I’ve also not experienced bullying from management, overtime is plentiful and it’s generally a nice area so probably one of the better offices to work in. Most of the issues I have (average holiday pay) are national level rather than office level.
The day is gonna come when we’re all gonna have to testify.

526
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12195
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Re: Clock IN & OUT

Post by SpacePhoenix »

HTPostman wrote: ↑
02 Sep 2021, 16:02
We are a hub I believe for other offices - we have the letter sorting machines running through the night for our own offices and for other offices. The only day it fully shuts is Christmas Day.
CSS machines? I thought that Rm had moved all the CSS machines into MCs
HTPostman
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1507
Joined: 01 Sep 2008, 23:53
Gender: Male

Re: Clock IN & OUT

Post by HTPostman »

SpacePhoenix wrote: ↑
02 Sep 2021, 18:16
HTPostman wrote: ↑
02 Sep 2021, 16:02
We are a hub I believe for other offices - we have the letter sorting machines running through the night for our own offices and for other offices. The only day it fully shuts is Christmas Day.
CSS machines? I thought that Rm had moved all the CSS machines into MCs
That’s the one. We have either 4 or 5 of those machines which sort letters for us as well as other DO’s. I’ve been told a few times we are a hub, whatever that means.
The day is gonna come when we’re all gonna have to testify.

526
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12195
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Re: Clock IN & OUT

Post by SpacePhoenix »

HTPostman wrote: ↑
02 Sep 2021, 21:06
SpacePhoenix wrote: ↑
02 Sep 2021, 18:16
HTPostman wrote: ↑
02 Sep 2021, 16:02
We are a hub I believe for other offices - we have the letter sorting machines running through the night for our own offices and for other offices. The only day it fully shuts is Christmas Day.
CSS machines? I thought that Rm had moved all the CSS machines into MCs
That’s the one. We have either 4 or 5 of those machines which sort letters for us as well as other DO’s. I’ve been told a few times we are a hub, whatever that means.
The CSS machines sequence the mail. As well as doing the batches that cover your DO, the CSS staff at your DO will be sequencing batches for other DOs
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

Re: Clock IN & OUT

Post by rambo1 »

HTPostman wrote: ↑
02 Sep 2021, 16:02
rambo1 wrote: ↑
01 Sep 2021, 22:44
[quote=HTPostman post_id=949251 time=<a href="tel:1630496837">1630496837</a> user_id=6899]
[quote=rambo1 post_id=949027 time=<a href="tel:1630315855">1630315855</a> user_id=53553]
So she's kicking her heels in a morning coz she comes in 90 mins early! Waiting for packets to get sorted and soecials in the locker, and the only reason she can still finish on time is because the delivery part of the duty is 90 mins shorter than it should be!! Unbelievable practices that go on at some offices!
Still begs the question why when they know this, did they pay you overtime in the morning and not just say do the hrs that the duty holder does ? Are they a bit thick?
Kicking her heels = in the smokers shelter every half hour but each to their own.

I’m confused about duty holder time. I come in at the start time for that section. It’s the same time as the duty holder who retired. The woman who now does the round (even though it’s not technically her duty) is allowed in 90 mins early and then finishes 90 mins early, I don’t have that luxury.

End of the day I was asked to come in at the duty start time to prep the round and give a hand on IPS. I did both, went out on time, did van checks, had my break and made every effort when I got back to locate one of 8 line managers to find out what they wanted me to do. Not a single one was there.

Let’s be honest here, what would everyone else here do? Sit in the office twiddling their thumbs? Or bugger off like everyone else who gets back early does (be it 9 minutes or 90 minutes)? If the latter would you go into the managers office on payday and had him back some money from the time you didn’t work?
Wasn't saying it was your fault. It's bad management. Still can't understand how this woman comes in 90 mins early. There wouldn't be anyone there sorting anything so how can she get out early?
[/quote]

I have a feeling my office works differently to most others. We have people working through the night, so there’s always parcels ready, trays to sort through of manual stuff, mech is usually ready from 6am.

We are a hub I believe for other offices - we have the letter sorting machines running through the night for our own offices and for other offices. The only day it fully shuts is Christmas Day.

I’ve also not experienced bullying from management, overtime is plentiful and it’s generally a nice area so probably one of the better offices to work in. Most of the issues I have (average holiday pay) are national level rather than office level.
[/quote]

Sounds like you work in royal mail utopia office. Full time don't even start till 7.15 in ours. Packets don't tend to get finished sorting until 9.00 .We are generally still queuing for specials at 9.30. rural deliveries start 8.15. finish time between 3.30 and 4.15 ( although usually finish well past that). Ours is an example of a not so well run office where most are fed up with how we're treated. Sounds like yours is the sort of place the courier would do a feature on. Ours certainly is not! Lol.
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

Re: Clock IN & OUT

Post by Seymour Buts »

doob wrote: ↑
22 Aug 2021, 13:26
Exactly as above poster said, you should of not claimed overtime. We have a couple that do this same thing in our office. Come in early and claim overtime for sorting then go home 2 hours early. That’s where Royal Mail could save money I bet there are a few in every office
This is rubbish. They had me in early yestersay to full prep a lapsed walk; it was a light day so I prepped both my own frame and the one on OT in the 1 hour 40 minutes they gave me. As a result I finished an hour early. It's managements job to give you enough work for the hours. If they don't do that that's their fault.