ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Clock IN & OUT

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Re: Clock IN & OUT

Post by aiden01 »

Dindin wrote: ↑
22 Aug 2021, 18:07
Ain't happening ever
What isn't
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32805
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: Clock IN & OUT

Post by POSTMAN »

Scan In/Out data will not be used for the automatic reduction of contractual pay or allowances based on data captured, or to reduce overtime pay where a (verbal) contract has been agreed with the manager prior to commencement.

search.php?keywords=scan&t=98877&sf=msgonly

Which is from...
KEY PRINCIPLES FRAMEWORK AGREEMENT (THE PATHWAY TO CHANGE)
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
rubberbond
Posts: 1497
Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
Gender: Male

Re: Clock IN & OUT

Post by rubberbond »

Woody Guthrie wrote: ↑
21 Aug 2021, 17:23
aiden01 wrote: ↑
21 Aug 2021, 15:18
Wolf91 wrote: ↑
21 Aug 2021, 14:48
They will say they won’t dock pay.
Which means you can be sure they will dock pay.
If you clock in on time an clock out on time how can they dock pay simple really.
It will inevitably lead to an attempt to introduce variable hours into delivery offices.
Daily hours will be driven by the variation in workload.
It's probably a few years away but it will come.
It's lapsing 2.0 where it's not the workload that's lapsed but your work hours, it's a far more efficient system.
It’s almost lapsing at source , the source being peoples pay, no more arguments with the staff about whether you’ve done lapsing , no wonder they’re so keen on it, the only thing is what about those who don’t come back ,how does that work.
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

Re: Clock IN & OUT

Post by rambo1 »

Tman wrote: ↑
21 Aug 2021, 17:40
Like anyone else who's ever punched the clock, you clock out at your shift finishing time, never before.
No employer is going to allow employees to regularly clock out before their finish time without some form of sanction being applied as they haven't completed a full shift.
You mean like they do now?
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

Re: Clock IN & OUT

Post by rambo1 »

ssdd wrote: ↑
21 Aug 2021, 23:21
norris9 wrote: ↑
21 Aug 2021, 22:37
Honestly, it would be easier if they paid us up to 1.30pm contractually and then did everything over this time on a clock out system.

Theoretically this way it should save them money and save us hassle.
That's great! With that kind of thinking you've just reduced our contracted hours! :arrrghhh
1.30! Jeez, haven't finished at that time for about 7yrs! Don't even start now till 8.15 (full time).
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

Re: Clock IN & OUT

Post by rambo1 »

on_the_way_OUT wrote: ↑
21 Aug 2021, 19:42
Thanks for the replies people... . With the best will in the world even RM don't really know what the workload is going to be on a daily basis. They expect Tuesday to be early and then the local council decide to mail everyone something. RM will get less than 24 hrs notice as it enters the system. Friday is ment to be a heavy day but its really hot and people decide to go the beach rather than send letters & order
parcels. You finish 45 mins early..... what do you do sit in a cafe for 45 mins with the PDA Actuals reporting as such or go back to the office and sit in the canteen? A lot of the time there just isn't the extra work to take you to your time.
RM will want to cut your pay on the light days yet not pay extra for the heavy ones.
There isn't the extra work? So you're saying not one person in your office is doing ANY overtime and all walks are covered? Doubtful. If managers are paying overtime to get work done on a day orhers are back 45mins early make the most of it, you're in for a rude awakening.
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

Re: Clock IN & OUT

Post by rambo1 »

HTPostman wrote: ↑
22 Aug 2021, 10:44
on_the_way_OUT wrote: ↑
21 Aug 2021, 19:42
You finish 45 mins early..... what do you do sit in a cafe for 45 mins with the PDA Actuals reporting as such or go back to the office and sit in the canteen? A lot of the time there just isn't the extra work to take you to your time.
I had this exact same issue last week when I finished 90 minutes early. I’m a reserve so I can’t look at a rural round I’ve not done for 6 months and accurately gauge how long it takes and inform a manager that I’ll be done way before time. Instead I took everything, bundled it up, did vehicle checks took a break etc. It was one of those days where everyone was in, very little traffic, even every traffic light seemed to be on green. I had no signal so couldn’t ring a manager to ask what they wanted me to do.

So I either sat in the van for 90 minutes or come back and see what they wanted me to do. I chose the latter, when I got back all the managers had gone anyway.

It’s a bit different for me as I am on a 5 hour a day contract but usually get asked in early to prep, so I’d already done my 5 hours. Will be interesting to see if they dock my morning OT by 90 minutes.
This sort of stuff beggars belief. So you got paid to come in early AND still finished 90 mins early. So did you start the duty you were on at their start time? If so that duty needs looking at. There's no way any rural should be possible to do 1 1/2hrs early no matter how light the day.
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

Re: Clock IN & OUT

Post by rambo1 »

Dorset Plodder wrote: ↑
22 Aug 2021, 18:17
I'd love to work in one of these offices where people are scratching around trying to fufill all their contracted hours ...... it must be nice. :whistle

We never really have "Light" days. There's days when you might ONLY have to claim 15 mins presssure and they feel "Light", but most of the time we're doing a full days work .... and then some. :Boo hoo!

There's a couple of individuals that manage to ONLY work their contacted hours .... it's taken them years of bitching & moaning to get to that point, with constant wingeing to keep them there. The rest of just do what we can to get through the day. :cuppa
Phew, there are offices like ours out there. Was beginning to think everyone else had a cushy job.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: Clock IN & OUT

Post by Dorset Plodder »

rambo1 wrote: ↑
23 Aug 2021, 22:14
Dorset Plodder wrote: ↑
22 Aug 2021, 18:17
I'd love to work in one of these offices where people are scratching around trying to fufill all their contracted hours ...... it must be nice. :whistle

We never really have "Light" days. There's days when you might ONLY have to claim 15 mins presssure and they feel "Light", but most of the time we're doing a full days work .... and then some. :Boo hoo!
Phew, there are offices like ours out there. Was beginning to think everyone else had a cushy job.
I have a sneaking suspicion Rambo that there must be a large ammount of Militant Delivery Offices, probably in the Larger Cities, that are slewing the figures. :hmmmm

RM love to quote "Average" Figures and there must be a hell of a lot of DOs that are "Having it easy" in order for RM to think that "On Average" this Revision is working? :crazy:

Like most Posties I can't grasp the fact that by removing an hour from my week (SWW), (and giving me the Lapsing I used to do as Absorption), I am going to manage to finish any earlier. :shock: The mail has not dropped of that much ... regardless of what the computer says! :arrrghhh I try to just concentrate on my job, and not worry about all the other problems in the office but I just end up booking that hour I've been given as "Pressure" .... Nothing's changed. :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12195
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Re: Clock IN & OUT

Post by SpacePhoenix »

Dorset Plodder wrote: ↑
27 Aug 2021, 18:16
he mail has not dropped of that much ... regardless of what the computer says!
Some types of mail have dropped off. Letters and flats have dropped off a lot. Normal packets have gone up a lot and Tracked has gone up massively.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: Clock IN & OUT

Post by Dorset Plodder »

SpacePhoenix wrote: ↑
27 Aug 2021, 20:13
Dorset Plodder wrote: ↑
27 Aug 2021, 18:16
he mail has not dropped of that much ... regardless of what the computer says!
Some types of mail have dropped off. Letters and flats have dropped off a lot. Normal packets have gone up a lot and Tracked has gone up massively.
Not having a pop at you SP, but RM saying that mail has dropped is just BS (perhaps they should stipulate what sort of mail is actually dropping off) :hmmmm

I can handle any ammount of meched mail, it's fast and easy to throw off, except when the Mail Centre's short of staff like today, and we get it unmeched. :sad:

I don't mind Holiday Brochures or Magazines, they look a lot but are normally quick and easy to throw off, and make good dividers for your bundles. :thumbup

What I can't handle is shite loads of small, flimsy, advertising crap (yes I know it pays our wages), that stick together and are a bugger to sort and throw off. :thumbdown

I agree that the tracked has gone Ballistic. If you're trying to prioritise what you're delivering, i.e you've several days mail to clear, you're nearly going everywhere just to clear the Tracked nowadays. And forget that missorted packet that you find once you're at the other end of your Duty..... if it's a Tracked ...... back you go or it'll be flagged up. :cuppa
Last edited by Dorset Plodder on 28 Aug 2021, 21:51, edited 1 time in total.
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12195
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Re: Clock IN & OUT

Post by SpacePhoenix »

Dorset Plodder wrote: ↑
28 Aug 2021, 15:51
Not having a pop at you SP, but RM saying that mail has dropped is just BS (perhaps they should stipulate what sort of mail is actually dropping off) :hmmmm
Letters and flats have dropped off over the last 2-3 years. Outside of the summer lull we used to run around 80k on nights through our iLSMs, these days it's more like 50-60k, sometimes it can be as low as 40 something k
Dorset Plodder wrote: ↑
28 Aug 2021, 15:51

I can handle any ammount of meched mail, it's fast and easy to throw off, exept when the Mail Centre's short of staff like today, and we get it unmeched. :sad:
More likely they've had a massive breakdown of their machines. Normally if the s**t hits the fan we'd revert to walk sorting
HTPostman
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1507
Joined: 01 Sep 2008, 23:53
Gender: Male

Re: Clock IN & OUT

Post by HTPostman »

rambo1 wrote: ↑
23 Aug 2021, 22:09
HTPostman wrote: ↑
22 Aug 2021, 10:44
on_the_way_OUT wrote: ↑
21 Aug 2021, 19:42
You finish 45 mins early..... what do you do sit in a cafe for 45 mins with the PDA Actuals reporting as such or go back to the office and sit in the canteen? A lot of the time there just isn't the extra work to take you to your time.
I had this exact same issue last week when I finished 90 minutes early. I’m a reserve so I can’t look at a rural round I’ve not done for 6 months and accurately gauge how long it takes and inform a manager that I’ll be done way before time. Instead I took everything, bundled it up, did vehicle checks took a break etc. It was one of those days where everyone was in, very little traffic, even every traffic light seemed to be on green. I had no signal so couldn’t ring a manager to ask what they wanted me to do.

So I either sat in the van for 90 minutes or come back and see what they wanted me to do. I chose the latter, when I got back all the managers had gone anyway.

It’s a bit different for me as I am on a 5 hour a day contract but usually get asked in early to prep, so I’d already done my 5 hours. Will be interesting to see if they dock my morning OT by 90 minutes.
This sort of stuff beggars belief. So you got paid to come in early AND still finished 90 mins early. So did you start the duty you were on at their start time? If so that duty needs looking at. There's no way any rural should be possible to do 1 1/2hrs early no matter how light the day.
I did start at duty time, yes. The duty holder who retired in early January was an incredibly slow walker, I mean that with the greatest of respects as he was getting on a bit but I can see why they never added extra on. The woman who’s now doing it is on one of those ‘I need to finish early to pick the kids up’ agreements so she’s allowed to start 90mins early and finish 90mins early. I’ll never understand why some are allowed to do that but others can’t but that’s for another conversation. So that creates issues when I’m allowed in at normal duty start time but then my finish time is a full 90 minutes (or so) later than the woman who usually does it.

I do full van checks, take breaks etc.

On a Saturday, one runner has been known to finish it by midday.
The day is gonna come when we’re all gonna have to testify.

526
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

Re: Clock IN & OUT

Post by rambo1 »

So she's kicking her heels in a morning coz she comes in 90 mins early! Waiting for packets to get sorted and soecials in the locker, and the only reason she can still finish on time is because the delivery part of the duty is 90 mins shorter than it should be!! Unbelievable practices that go on at some offices!
Still begs the question why when they know this, did they pay you overtime in the morning and not just say do the hrs that the duty holder does ? Are they a bit thick?
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

Re: Clock IN & OUT

Post by rambo1 »

HTPostman wrote: ↑
28 Aug 2021, 19:11
rambo1 wrote: ↑
23 Aug 2021, 22:09
HTPostman wrote: ↑
22 Aug 2021, 10:44
on_the_way_OUT wrote: ↑
21 Aug 2021, 19:42
You finish 45 mins early..... what do you do sit in a cafe for 45 mins with the PDA Actuals reporting as such or go back to the office and sit in the canteen? A lot of the time there just isn't the extra work to take you to your time.
I had this exact same issue last week when I finished 90 minutes early. I’m a reserve so I can’t look at a rural round I’ve not done for 6 months and accurately gauge how long it takes and inform a manager that I’ll be done way before time. Instead I took everything, bundled it up, did vehicle checks took a break etc. It was one of those days where everyone was in, very little traffic, even every traffic light seemed to be on green. I had no signal so couldn’t ring a manager to ask what they wanted me to do.

So I either sat in the van for 90 minutes or come back and see what they wanted me to do. I chose the latter, when I got back all the managers had gone anyway.

It’s a bit different for me as I am on a 5 hour a day contract but usually get asked in early to prep, so I’d already done my 5 hours. Will be interesting to see if they dock my morning OT by 90 minutes.
This sort of stuff beggars belief. So you got paid to come in early AND still finished 90 mins early. So did you start the duty you were on at their start time? If so that duty needs looking at. There's no way any rural should be possible to do 1 1/2hrs early no matter how light the day.
I did start at duty time, yes. The duty holder who retired in early January was an incredibly slow walker, I mean that with the greatest of respects as he was getting on a bit but I can see why they never added extra on. The woman who’s now doing it is on one of those ‘I need to finish early to pick the kids up’ agreements so she’s allowed to start 90mins early and finish 90mins early. I’ll never understand why some are allowed to do that but others can’t but that’s for another conversation. So that creates issues when I’m allowed in at normal duty start time but then my finish time is a full 90 minutes (or so) later than the woman who usually does it.

I do full van checks, take breaks etc.

On a Saturday, one runner has been known to finish it by midday.
Getting out at say, 9.30 if it's like our office on a Saturday, you're seriously saying someone can do that rural delivery in 2 1/2 hrs including travel and breaks!