ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Letter from simple Simon

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Marshamp11
Posts: 437
Joined: 06 Aug 2018, 16:38
Gender: Male

Re: Letter from simple Simon

Post by Marshamp11 »

2yearpostie wrote: ↑
13 Sep 2022, 15:25
Kenfandango wrote: ↑
13 Sep 2022, 15:11
I assumed from the letter that the redundancies would be aimed at the "cheaper" staff. Less than 2 years and they can get rid of you for nothing, after that it's a week's pay for each year of service (or half a week per year if you started at 18.) They could drop everyone who's done 4-5 years and it would cost considerably less than a few VRs for the old guard
Or play the long game, keep the newer staff who are on inferior terms and are less likely to go off sick with bad backs and knees etc, and take the hit get the older expensive to run staff gone as cheaply as possible ( theres a calculator on the gov website for redundancies.
Trouble is RM has an ageing workforce that is probably getting the the way of there long term plans, and as no one can be forced to retire a lot stay on beyond retirement age. Our last 3 retirees were in their 70s when they packed it in and we have 4 who are nearing 70 with no intention of going anywhere soon. Why would they, they currently recieve their RM pension, full state pension and a full time wage. You do the maths. We also have 6 who are close to retirement age and only 2 of those have hinted about going.
Not sure what the current average age of a postie is but in the coming years I am sure it is going to rise given that younger recruits to the company do not seem to last very long.
Wolf91
Posts: 506
Joined: 06 Sep 2018, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Letter from simple Simon

Post by Wolf91 »

Must admit it when I saw a letter from RM today I was disappointed to find out it was a flu-jab offer. I was expecting some threatening attack on the workforce from
simple Simon to laugh at. :left: Maybe next time.


I should have known actually, it was sent second-class.

They only ever send all employee abuse in first-class :dance
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: Letter from simple Simon

Post by Dorset Plodder »

Wolf91 wrote: ↑
13 Sep 2022, 18:23
Must admit it when I saw a letter from RM today I was disappointed to find out it was a flu-jab offer. I was expecting some threatening attack on the workforce from
simple Simon to laugh at. :left: Maybe next time.


I should have known actually, it was sent second-class.

They only ever send all employee abuse in first-class :dance
:left:
Wondered what the letter was, I try never to open them. :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)