ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Feeling isolated

Got a question for a CWU Rep? And all CWU related matters.
Bingsmith
Posts: 54
Joined: 08 Jan 2014, 20:02
Gender: Male

Re: Feeling isolated

Post by Bingsmith »

pieoftheday wrote: ↑
16 Jul 2022, 11:58
If your manager talks to the work force in none English, speak up, talk loud and confident " PLEASE SPEAK ENGLISH BOSS" , "NO OFFENCE BUT I DONT UNDERSTAND" you could secretly record him on your phone if and when you take it further
I would like to but I’m worried I’ll just be counted as a racist.
Bingsmith
Posts: 54
Joined: 08 Jan 2014, 20:02
Gender: Male

Re: Feeling isolated

Post by Bingsmith »

Thank you everyone I feel a bit more supported :chuckle. I’ll man up ready for Monday n try to be firm. I hoped there might be so rules I can quote.
postieblueshirt
Posts: 1241
Joined: 01 Oct 2019, 22:05
Gender: Male

Re: Feeling isolated

Post by postieblueshirt »

Bingsmith wrote: ↑
16 Jul 2022, 22:12
pieoftheday wrote: ↑
16 Jul 2022, 11:58
If your manager talks to the work force in none English, speak up, talk loud and confident " PLEASE SPEAK ENGLISH BOSS" , "NO OFFENCE BUT I DONT UNDERSTAND" you could secretly record him on your phone if and when you take it further
I would like to but I’m worried I’ll just be counted as a racist.
WOW what an environment to work in.my sympathys I wouldn't like that happening to me either.And you feel you would be branded a racist for speaking up.thank God up here we all just speak scottish to each other :Applause
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Re: Feeling isolated

Post by k979aaa »

Record it on your phone it is evidence use your microphone voice recorder you can translate it later if it is racist you have it if not you may understand it. And think about how to build bridges but ultimately racism is a two way street what goes for you is the same for others.
redlen
Posts: 1348
Joined: 21 Dec 2021, 12:05
Gender: Male

Re: Feeling isolated

Post by redlen »

Why are you staying a language barrier is racist? That is ridiculous and very narrow-minded statement to make. It is also inflammatory and can be regarded as hate speech.

And once again, you start covert recordings without prior authorisation is a dismissal offence. We will regard it as a breakdown of mutual trust between employer and employee.
Last edited by redlen on 19 Jul 2022, 06:49, edited 1 time in total.
denhamhoop
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 303
Joined: 07 Oct 2010, 19:53
Gender: Male

Re: Feeling isolated

Post by denhamhoop »

scoobydo79 wrote: ↑
15 Jul 2022, 15:41
Everyone should be speaking English in your work environment. Report it if they do not.
To whom exactly when it's managers and union reps that are quite often the worst offenders
sorefeet17
Posts: 299
Joined: 11 May 2015, 17:10
Gender: Male

Re: Feeling isolated

Post by sorefeet17 »

redlen wrote: ↑
18 Jul 2022, 11:50
Why are you staying a language barrier is racist? That is ridiculous and very narrow minded statement to make. It is also inflammatory and can be regarded as hate speech
Hate speech! :arrrghhh sounds like you are trying to intimidate him to fit your personal agenda.
He was also saying that he didn't want to appear racist, not that that their use of another language was itself racist, but who knows maybe they do want to force him to leave for their own interests?
Bingsmith
Posts: 54
Joined: 08 Jan 2014, 20:02
Gender: Male

Re: Feeling isolated

Post by Bingsmith »

redlen wrote: ↑
18 Jul 2022, 11:50
Why are you staying a language barrier is racist? That is ridiculous and very narrow-minded statement to make. It is also inflammatory and can be regarded as hate speech.

And once again, you start covert recordings without prior authorisation is a dismissal offence. We will regard it as a breakdown of mutual trust between employer and employee.
What happened to make you come back? “going to retire from this thread as it is now making me feel uncomfortable.” It’s because of aggressive posters like you people are scared to post.

Your twisting what I said. I genuinely wanted help/advice/support ect. I won’t continue with this thread, hope your happy now.
yellowbelly
Posts: 3724
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
Gender: Male

Re: Feeling isolated

Post by yellowbelly »

Not sure what the answer to this, but some interesting points on language discrimination at work on this commercial law firm website
including references to real life cases: https://harperjames.co.uk/article/forei ... #section-2