ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

overtime rate

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
daveyeff
Posts: 4699
Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
Gender: Male

Re: overtime rate

Post by daveyeff »

norm wrote: ↑
26 Feb 2022, 21:52
POSTMAN wrote: ↑
26 Feb 2022, 14:07
Yours is a weird and dangerous thought, don't worry bout the ot rate as you never work the full amount of it anyway.
Well a 21p difference equates to approximately a minute of "work time". Show me somebody who claims to have worked every minute of their overtime claimed and I'll show you a liar.
it is also undermining the basic rate. if they can do 'overtime' for less money than basic then we'll pay less on the actual basic pay will be their reasoning.
mjd24
Posts: 1409
Joined: 11 May 2008, 18:48

Re: overtime rate

Post by mjd24 »

aiden01 wrote: ↑
27 Feb 2022, 10:48
mjd24 wrote: ↑
27 Feb 2022, 09:56
aiden01 wrote: ↑
26 Feb 2022, 23:39
norm wrote: ↑
26 Feb 2022, 21:52
POSTMAN wrote: ↑
26 Feb 2022, 14:07
Yours is a weird and dangerous thought, don't worry bout the ot rate as you never work the full amount of it anyway.
Well a 21p difference equates to approximately a minute of "work time". Show me somebody who claims to have worked every minute of their overtime claimed and I'll show you a liar.
Work in a mc an earn every penny.
So doing 2 deliveries in a day and literally running around for 6-8 hours covering a distance of maybe 20 miles+ isnt earning every penny?
Where have i said it is'nt?.an why are you running around.
Where have i said i am? 😂 Just saying that i know guys who double up regularly and even though it annoys me that theyre getting paid until 9pm and finishing at 3-4pm, i know for a fact that not many people could do that and its properly hard work.
yellowbelly
Posts: 3728
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
Gender: Male

Re: overtime rate

Post by yellowbelly »

norm wrote: ↑
26 Feb 2022, 21:55
aiden01 wrote: ↑
26 Feb 2022, 20:50
norm wrote: ↑
26 Feb 2022, 13:08
Are you really going to quibble about a difference of 21p an hour? You're clearly claiming overtime wrong if that's your concern. Anybody doing over time is going to have finished earlier than the claimed amount thus negating any difference in hourly rate.
Are you prepared to take a 21p per hour pay cut???
Take a pay cut by working overtime? I doubt understand your rationale.

Are you one of these people who say they don't work OT because it's not "worth it" because the extra they made went on tax, failing to understand irrespective of how much you work below the higher tax threshold you get taxed the same.
It's not the tax taken that Aiden refers to - it's the fact that the 1st 10hrs rate is lower than your basic pay and the delivery supplement.
If you're PT and in the RMDCP anything above 37hrs is not pensionable either (not sure about the other current pension),
so it's a bit more of a 21p per hour less than normal rate. RM save a fortune this way.
Bump20
Posts: 9
Joined: 04 Mar 2021, 12:15
Gender: Male

Re: overtime rate

Post by Bump20 »

Your not wrong it's a joke
datasaint
Posts: 1541
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
Gender: Male

Re: overtime rate

Post by datasaint »

rambo1 wrote: ↑
26 Feb 2022, 22:09
norm wrote: ↑
26 Feb 2022, 21:52
POSTMAN wrote: ↑
26 Feb 2022, 14:07
Yours is a weird and dangerous thought, don't worry bout the ot rate as you never work the full amount of it anyway.
Well a 21p difference equates to approximately a minute of "work time". Show me somebody who claims to have worked every minute of their overtime claimed and I'll show you a liar.
That's utter rubbish! Do you not think people go over on a regular basis because their duty is too big? Not all overtime is negotiated ghost overtime you know!
Yeah and show me a docket sheet where said person claiming extended noted the time to the minute. Most sensible people round up to the nearest 5 minutes or quarter of an hour. So there we go they've made up for the shortfall for the "reduced" OT rate.
datasaint
Posts: 1541
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
Gender: Male

Re: overtime rate

Post by datasaint »

yellowbelly wrote: ↑
27 Feb 2022, 15:06
norm wrote: ↑
26 Feb 2022, 21:55
aiden01 wrote: ↑
26 Feb 2022, 20:50
norm wrote: ↑
26 Feb 2022, 13:08
Are you really going to quibble about a difference of 21p an hour? You're clearly claiming overtime wrong if that's your concern. Anybody doing over time is going to have finished earlier than the claimed amount thus negating any difference in hourly rate.
Are you prepared to take a 21p per hour pay cut???
Take a pay cut by working overtime? I doubt understand your rationale.

Are you one of these people who say they don't work OT because it's not "worth it" because the extra they made went on tax, failing to understand irrespective of how much you work below the higher tax threshold you get taxed the same.
It's not the tax taken that Aiden refers to - it's the fact that the 1st 10hrs rate is lower than your basic pay and the delivery supplement.
If you're PT and in the RMDCP anything above 37hrs is not pensionable either (not sure about the other current pension),
so it's a bit more of a 21p per hour less than normal rate. RM save a fortune this way.
If you work overtime you are not getting a paycut. It's the agreed rate.

Nobody is forcing you to do it. If don't agree with overtime pay rate don't do it and get a second job elsewhere paying better. Good luck.
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

Re: overtime rate

Post by rambo1 »

mjd24 wrote: ↑
27 Feb 2022, 09:56
aiden01 wrote: ↑
26 Feb 2022, 23:39
norm wrote: ↑
26 Feb 2022, 21:52
POSTMAN wrote: ↑
26 Feb 2022, 14:07
Yours is a weird and dangerous thought, don't worry bout the ot rate as you never work the full amount of it anyway.
Well a 21p difference equates to approximately a minute of "work time". Show me somebody who claims to have worked every minute of their overtime claimed and I'll show you a liar.
Work in a mc an earn every penny.
So doing 2 deliveries in a day and literally running around for 6-8 hours covering a distance of maybe 20 miles+ isnt earning every penny?
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

Re: overtime rate

Post by rambo1 »

rambo1 wrote: ↑
28 Feb 2022, 15:05
mjd24 wrote: ↑
27 Feb 2022, 09:56
aiden01 wrote: ↑
26 Feb 2022, 23:39
norm wrote: ↑
26 Feb 2022, 21:52
POSTMAN wrote: ↑
26 Feb 2022, 14:07
Yours is a weird and dangerous thought, don't worry bout the ot rate as you never work the full amount of it anyway.
Well a 21p difference equates to approximately a minute of "work time". Show me somebody who claims to have worked every minute of their overtime claimed and I'll show you a liar.
Work in a mc an earn every penny.
So doing 2 deliveries in a day and literally running around for 6-8 hours covering a distance of maybe 20 miles+ isnt earning every penny?
If you're only getting paid for 6-8 hrs of course not. If you are getting paid more than 8 hrs then yes you are getting paid more hrs than you are working. Maybe if you didn't run.......
Kenfandango
Posts: 694
Joined: 19 Oct 2021, 16:40
Gender: Male

Re: overtime rate

Post by Kenfandango »

I've noticed (as a part timer) that if I come in at scheduled time to an unprepped frame and end up going over, I'm on the lower rate. Come in early and I'm on "first ten hours." Some weeks I'll have 2.5 hours on the high rate, and 7/8 on the lower because I'd gone over my time instead of coming in early. Is this how it's meant to work?
To clarify, I always put my name down for early starts, and occasionally just get ignored then thrown on a frame which has had minimal prep. If I go over on those days, I've done the same as a full timer only from (for example) 8-3.30 instead of 7-2.30. Why am I being financially penalised for digging the managers out of their own mess?
And yes I know "work your time and go home" but the Mrs lost her job and I need all the help I can get!
blacov
Posts: 397
Joined: 12 May 2019, 21:40
Gender: Male

Re: overtime rate

Post by blacov »

Kenfandango wrote: ↑
28 Feb 2022, 15:39
I've noticed (as a part timer) that if I come in at scheduled time to an unprepped frame and end up going over, I'm on the lower rate. Come in early and I'm on "first ten hours." Some weeks I'll have 2.5 hours on the high rate, and 7/8 on the lower because I'd gone over my time instead of coming in early. Is this how it's meant to work?
To clarify, I always put my name down for early starts, and occasionally just get ignored then thrown on a frame which has had minimal prep. If I go over on those days, I've done the same as a full timer only from (for example) 8-3.30 instead of 7-2.30. Why am I being financially penalised for digging the managers out of their own mess?
And yes I know "work your time and go home" but the Mrs lost her job and I need all the help I can get!
If you are a part time it doesn't matter what time you start doing your regular OT up to full time hours in your office you should be paying full rate + allowances. Next 10hours is I believe £12.15-12.20 and then it drops further down, as far as I remember it works out to be about £0.1958 per minute. If you look closely your overtime is paid to the minute. Another thing is S/A overtime, that is slightly higher rate and is paid regardless of how many regular overtime you did in the same week. Have a look at your payslip properly and count the hours again and bring it up to a manager or a union rep.
Kenfandango
Posts: 694
Joined: 19 Oct 2021, 16:40
Gender: Male

Re: overtime rate

Post by Kenfandango »

Cheers, I'll bring it up tomorrow as I've just checked and weeks I've done every early shift I get it all, and weeks I've not been called in I've had the lower rate for going over
fb1969
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1693
Joined: 29 Aug 2012, 08:38
Gender: Male
Location: hiding on the backstreets

Re: overtime rate

Post by fb1969 »

Part timer's overtime for the hours from contracted to full time should be paid at either "SSPR" or "SA @SSPR" (both rates are the same per hour) and is the standard hourly rate plus all supplements. This means a part timer doing full times hour is paid the same as a full timer on the same pay rate (on length of service).

Beyond that should be at the "1st 10 hours" rate and is a bit more than the standard hourly rate but without any supplements so is less per hour than above. The last time I worked it out, it was about 12p per hour more than the standard rate.

Beyond that the over 10 hour rate (or whatever it is called) is below the standard hourly rate.
Royal Mail
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
yellowbelly
Posts: 3728
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
Gender: Male

Re: overtime rate

Post by yellowbelly »

norm wrote: ↑
27 Feb 2022, 17:46
yellowbelly wrote: ↑
27 Feb 2022, 15:06
norm wrote: ↑
26 Feb 2022, 21:55
aiden01 wrote: ↑
26 Feb 2022, 20:50
norm wrote: ↑
26 Feb 2022, 13:08
Are you really going to quibble about a difference of 21p an hour? You're clearly claiming overtime wrong if that's your concern. Anybody doing over time is going to have finished earlier than the claimed amount thus negating any difference in hourly rate.
Are you prepared to take a 21p per hour pay cut???
Take a pay cut by working overtime? I doubt understand your rationale.

Are you one of these people who say they don't work OT because it's not "worth it" because the extra they made went on tax, failing to understand irrespective of how much you work below the higher tax threshold you get taxed the same.
It's not the tax taken that Aiden refers to - it's the fact that the 1st 10hrs rate is lower than your basic pay and the delivery supplement.
If you're PT and in the RMDCP anything above 37hrs is not pensionable either (not sure about the other current pension),
so it's a bit more of a 21p per hour less than normal rate. RM save a fortune this way.
If you work overtime you are not getting a paycut. It's the agreed rate.

Nobody is forcing you to do it. If don't agree with overtime pay rate don't do it and get a second job elsewhere paying better. Good luck.
Didn't say it was pay cut at all and nobody had brought tax into the discussion until you mentioned it, bit of a moot
point in the context of the post. Best wishes to you too friend.
mjd24
Posts: 1409
Joined: 11 May 2008, 18:48

Re: overtime rate

Post by mjd24 »

rambo1 wrote: ↑
28 Feb 2022, 15:07
rambo1 wrote: ↑
28 Feb 2022, 15:05
mjd24 wrote: ↑
27 Feb 2022, 09:56
aiden01 wrote: ↑
26 Feb 2022, 23:39
norm wrote: ↑
26 Feb 2022, 21:52
POSTMAN wrote: ↑
26 Feb 2022, 14:07
Yours is a weird and dangerous thought, don't worry bout the ot rate as you never work the full amount of it anyway.
Well a 21p difference equates to approximately a minute of "work time". Show me somebody who claims to have worked every minute of their overtime claimed and I'll show you a liar.
Work in a mc an earn every penny.
So doing 2 deliveries in a day and literally running around for 6-8 hours covering a distance of maybe 20 miles+ isnt earning every penny?
If you're only getting paid for 6-8 hrs of course not. If you are getting paid more than 8 hrs then yes you are getting paid more hrs than you are working. Maybe if you didn't run.......
So if one were to drag out one delivery and finish 6 hours past their official finish time, then youre saying theyve earned the 6 hours overtime

but someone doing two deliveries and getting paid 6 hours overtime and finishing maybe 1 hour past their official finish time is not earning it?

The second person has done twice as much work no?
jessicarabbit
Posts: 619
Joined: 05 Nov 2009, 19:57
Gender: Female

Re: overtime rate

Post by jessicarabbit »

If you can do 2 of your deliveries and only go 1 hour overtime then you are giving managers all the ammunition they need via PDA actuals that those deliveries are too small. If you are 100% sure that all the deliveries across the country are exactly the same span with the exact same amount of mail then you are welcome to do as many deliveries in a day as you like and negotiate your own pay for doing it. Until that day you are comparing apples with pears.