ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Retirement Age

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
postie2007
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 65
Joined: 20 Oct 2011, 09:46
Gender: Male

Re: Retirement Age

Post by postie2007 »

How do I word my intention to leave royal mail at aged 60. If I resign its my understanding I would be a bad leaver how ever, i wish to retire. Concerned about pay tax on partnership shares if letter worded incorrectly.

TIA
fly-catchers
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 573
Joined: 05 Oct 2008, 16:38
Gender: Male

Re: Retirement Age

Post by fly-catchers »

Resigning at 60 is always considered a good leaver.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: Retirement Age

Post by Dorset Plodder »

postie2007 wrote: ↑
01 Jan 2022, 15:45
How do I word my intention to leave royal mail at aged 60. If I resign its my understanding I would be a bad leaver how ever, i wish to retire. Concerned about pay tax on partnership shares if letter worded incorrectly.

TIA
How does the "Bad Leaver" tag effect anything if you're Retiring? I presume it's for References if you're going to be looking for another PT job? :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
P13
Posts: 1016
Joined: 11 Oct 2007, 14:35
Gender: Male

Re: Retirement Age

Post by P13 »

Dorset Plodder wrote: ↑
01 Jan 2022, 17:17
postie2007 wrote: ↑
01 Jan 2022, 15:45
How do I word my intention to leave royal mail at aged 60. If I resign its my understanding I would be a bad leaver how ever, i wish to retire. Concerned about pay tax on partnership shares if letter worded incorrectly.

TIA
How does the "Bad Leaver" tag effect anything if you're Retiring? I presume it's for References if you're going to be looking for another PT job? :cuppa
It affects the partnership shares the op has
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: Retirement Age

Post by Dorset Plodder »

I remember hearing something about buying shares some time ago. I've just had a quick look at the link. Seems pretty straight forward although it's not something I've considered before. :hmmmm

What's the general feeling about them? Are they worth a go? I could probably just squeeze in the 5 years worth before I retire (Hopefully). I suppose it's more about if your confident linking your money to a company that you work for, I note that you do get some FREE shares. :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
RobertT
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 6700
Joined: 09 Sep 2007, 14:26
Gender: Male

Re: Retirement Age

Post by RobertT »

postie2007 wrote: ↑
01 Jan 2022, 15:45
How do I word my intention to leave royal mail at aged 60. If I resign its my understanding I would be a bad leaver how ever, i wish to retire. Concerned about pay tax on partnership shares if letter worded incorrectly.
TIA
If you're leaving RM at age 60+ you're deemed to be retiring and therefore a good leaver for the purpose of the shares held in the SIP, which is the free ones and any you've bought via the P&M scheme.

The P&M booklet with all the details can be found here: https://www.myroyalmail.com/PartnershipandMatching
Links to all RM pension related websites are here
RobertT
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 6700
Joined: 09 Sep 2007, 14:26
Gender: Male

Re: Retirement Age

Post by RobertT »

Dorset Plodder wrote: ↑
01 Jan 2022, 17:55
I remember hearing something about buying shares some time ago. I've just had a quick look at the link. Seems pretty straight forward although it's not something I've considered before. :hmmmm

What's the general feeling about them? Are they worth a go? I could probably just squeeze in the 5 years worth before I retire (Hopefully). I suppose it's more about if your confident linking your money to a company that you work for, I note that you do get some FREE shares. :cuppa
I don't buy any shares myself via P&M but it does have the potential to be a good scheme, especially if you can buy low and sell high.

You'll have to hold each monthly batch for 5 years to get the full benefit, unless you're a good leaver.

See the link in my post above for more info.
Links to all RM pension related websites are here
tractorboy2
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 545
Joined: 18 Jan 2012, 11:03
Gender: Male

Re: Retirement Age

Post by tractorboy2 »

postie2007 wrote: ↑
01 Jan 2022, 15:45
How do I word my intention to leave royal mail at aged 60. If I resign its my understanding I would be a bad leaver how ever, i wish to retire. Concerned about pay tax on partnership shares if letter worded incorrectly.

TIA
Can you not just sell the shares first ?
priority102
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 520
Joined: 04 Aug 2009, 18:57
Gender: Female

Re: Retirement Age

Post by priority102 »

How can you be a bad leaver if you resign? I thought a bad leaver was a sacked leaver!

Either way I would think you'll be collared for tax on your shares, the five year rule applies regardless doesn't it?
RobertT
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 6700
Joined: 09 Sep 2007, 14:26
Gender: Male

Re: Retirement Age

Post by RobertT »

priority102 wrote: ↑
02 Jan 2022, 09:09
How can you be a bad leaver if you resign? I thought a bad leaver was a sacked leaver!

Either way I would think you'll be collared for tax on your shares, the five year rule applies regardless doesn't it?
To be a good leaver you have to:

Leave via VR, IHR, be 60+ or be dead.

If any of those 4 things apply, the 5 year rule doesn't come into it.
Links to all RM pension related websites are here
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

Re: Retirement Age

Post by rambo1 »

I'd sooner be a bad leaver than the last option of a good leaver lol.
Molly2005
Posts: 25
Joined: 25 Mar 2020, 19:13
Gender: Male

Re: Retirement Age

Post by Molly2005 »

Been in job 17 years and now aged 62 and half, no way can I carry on till 66 years of age, arthritis in ankles, knackered after every shift and iam on a relatively easy walk, probably look for something else in ext 12 months.
Mailman300
Posts: 48
Joined: 09 Apr 2017, 09:10
Gender: Male

Re: Retirement Age

Post by Mailman300 »

Acca Dacca wrote: ↑
05 Mar 2021, 14:52
david3595 wrote: ↑
04 Mar 2021, 20:24
derekm wrote: ↑
04 Mar 2021, 20:06
Must be a nice easy duty if they can still do it at 70 :Applause
It’s same duties as people half their age are currently doing. To some of them their only social contacts / friends is their work colleagues and to others for reasons only best known to themselves they don’t want to retire :thumbup
Very selfish imo depriving a young person a job
Oo, ageist.
Acca Dacca
Posts: 3226
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 17:13
Gender: Male

Re: Retirement Age

Post by Acca Dacca »

Mailman300 wrote: ↑
07 Jan 2022, 23:40
Acca Dacca wrote: ↑
05 Mar 2021, 14:52
david3595 wrote: ↑
04 Mar 2021, 20:24
derekm wrote: ↑
04 Mar 2021, 20:06
Must be a nice easy duty if they can still do it at 70 :Applause
It’s same duties as people half their age are currently doing. To some of them their only social contacts / friends is their work colleagues and to others for reasons only best known to themselves they don’t want to retire :thumbup
Very selfish imo depriving a young person a job
Oo, ageist.
Is a pension ageist too?
If you tolerate this, then your paid break will be next
wallop
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 251
Joined: 02 Feb 2011, 07:34
Gender: Male

Re: Retirement Age

Post by wallop »

I'm lucky to find myself in a position where i've decided to knock it on the head just before my 55th birthday.I honestly don't think i could face another 5 years of this let alone 10.
35 years 6 months and 13 days will do me.