ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Retirement Age
-
postie2007
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 65
- Joined: 20 Oct 2011, 09:46
- Gender: Male
Re: Retirement Age
How do I word my intention to leave royal mail at aged 60. If I resign its my understanding I would be a bad leaver how ever, i wish to retire. Concerned about pay tax on partnership shares if letter worded incorrectly.
TIA
TIA
-
fly-catchers
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 573
- Joined: 05 Oct 2008, 16:38
- Gender: Male
Re: Retirement Age
Resigning at 60 is always considered a good leaver.
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Re: Retirement Age
How does the "Bad Leaver" tag effect anything if you're Retiring? I presume it's for References if you're going to be looking for another PT job?postie2007 wrote: ↑01 Jan 2022, 15:45How do I word my intention to leave royal mail at aged 60. If I resign its my understanding I would be a bad leaver how ever, i wish to retire. Concerned about pay tax on partnership shares if letter worded incorrectly.
TIA
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
P13
- Posts: 1016
- Joined: 11 Oct 2007, 14:35
- Gender: Male
Re: Retirement Age
It affects the partnership shares the op hasDorset Plodder wrote: ↑01 Jan 2022, 17:17How does the "Bad Leaver" tag effect anything if you're Retiring? I presume it's for References if you're going to be looking for another PT job?postie2007 wrote: ↑01 Jan 2022, 15:45How do I word my intention to leave royal mail at aged 60. If I resign its my understanding I would be a bad leaver how ever, i wish to retire. Concerned about pay tax on partnership shares if letter worded incorrectly.
TIA![]()
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Re: Retirement Age
I remember hearing something about buying shares some time ago. I've just had a quick look at the link. Seems pretty straight forward although it's not something I've considered before.
What's the general feeling about them? Are they worth a go? I could probably just squeeze in the 5 years worth before I retire (Hopefully). I suppose it's more about if your confident linking your money to a company that you work for, I note that you do get some FREE shares.
What's the general feeling about them? Are they worth a go? I could probably just squeeze in the 5 years worth before I retire (Hopefully). I suppose it's more about if your confident linking your money to a company that you work for, I note that you do get some FREE shares.
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
RobertT
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 6700
- Joined: 09 Sep 2007, 14:26
- Gender: Male
Re: Retirement Age
If you're leaving RM at age 60+ you're deemed to be retiring and therefore a good leaver for the purpose of the shares held in the SIP, which is the free ones and any you've bought via the P&M scheme.postie2007 wrote: ↑01 Jan 2022, 15:45How do I word my intention to leave royal mail at aged 60. If I resign its my understanding I would be a bad leaver how ever, i wish to retire. Concerned about pay tax on partnership shares if letter worded incorrectly.
TIA
The P&M booklet with all the details can be found here: https://www.myroyalmail.com/PartnershipandMatching
Links to all RM pension related websites are here
-
RobertT
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 6700
- Joined: 09 Sep 2007, 14:26
- Gender: Male
Re: Retirement Age
I don't buy any shares myself via P&M but it does have the potential to be a good scheme, especially if you can buy low and sell high.Dorset Plodder wrote: ↑01 Jan 2022, 17:55I remember hearing something about buying shares some time ago. I've just had a quick look at the link. Seems pretty straight forward although it's not something I've considered before.![]()
What's the general feeling about them? Are they worth a go? I could probably just squeeze in the 5 years worth before I retire (Hopefully). I suppose it's more about if your confident linking your money to a company that you work for, I note that you do get some FREE shares.![]()
You'll have to hold each monthly batch for 5 years to get the full benefit, unless you're a good leaver.
See the link in my post above for more info.
Links to all RM pension related websites are here
-
tractorboy2
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 545
- Joined: 18 Jan 2012, 11:03
- Gender: Male
Re: Retirement Age
Can you not just sell the shares first ?postie2007 wrote: ↑01 Jan 2022, 15:45How do I word my intention to leave royal mail at aged 60. If I resign its my understanding I would be a bad leaver how ever, i wish to retire. Concerned about pay tax on partnership shares if letter worded incorrectly.
TIA
-
priority102
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 520
- Joined: 04 Aug 2009, 18:57
- Gender: Female
Re: Retirement Age
How can you be a bad leaver if you resign? I thought a bad leaver was a sacked leaver!
Either way I would think you'll be collared for tax on your shares, the five year rule applies regardless doesn't it?
Either way I would think you'll be collared for tax on your shares, the five year rule applies regardless doesn't it?
-
RobertT
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 6700
- Joined: 09 Sep 2007, 14:26
- Gender: Male
Re: Retirement Age
To be a good leaver you have to:priority102 wrote: ↑02 Jan 2022, 09:09How can you be a bad leaver if you resign? I thought a bad leaver was a sacked leaver!
Either way I would think you'll be collared for tax on your shares, the five year rule applies regardless doesn't it?
Leave via VR, IHR, be 60+ or be dead.
If any of those 4 things apply, the 5 year rule doesn't come into it.
Links to all RM pension related websites are here
-
rambo1
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 3266
- Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
- Gender: Male
Re: Retirement Age
I'd sooner be a bad leaver than the last option of a good leaver lol.
-
Molly2005
- Posts: 25
- Joined: 25 Mar 2020, 19:13
- Gender: Male
Re: Retirement Age
Been in job 17 years and now aged 62 and half, no way can I carry on till 66 years of age, arthritis in ankles, knackered after every shift and iam on a relatively easy walk, probably look for something else in ext 12 months.
-
Mailman300
- Posts: 48
- Joined: 09 Apr 2017, 09:10
- Gender: Male
Re: Retirement Age
Oo, ageist.Acca Dacca wrote: ↑05 Mar 2021, 14:52Very selfish imo depriving a young person a job
-
Acca Dacca
- Posts: 3226
- Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 17:13
- Gender: Male
Re: Retirement Age
Is a pension ageist too?Mailman300 wrote: ↑07 Jan 2022, 23:40Oo, ageist.Acca Dacca wrote: ↑05 Mar 2021, 14:52Very selfish imo depriving a young person a job
If you tolerate this, then your paid break will be next
-
wallop
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 251
- Joined: 02 Feb 2011, 07:34
- Gender: Male
Re: Retirement Age
I'm lucky to find myself in a position where i've decided to knock it on the head just before my 55th birthday.I honestly don't think i could face another 5 years of this let alone 10.
35 years 6 months and 13 days will do me.
35 years 6 months and 13 days will do me.