ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Combo vans too low

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Jmartindale130
Posts: 16
Joined: 06 Jul 2021, 16:48
Gender: Male

Combo vans too low

Post by Jmartindale130 »

I know this might sound stupid but, this is the second time I've had really bad groin pain while doing this job and I think it's from getting in and out of the combo vans, they're too low and once I start to get pain it doesn't go away for weeks

They should scrap all the combos and everybody should get a decent sized van

We can't even fit all of our parcels from our duty in the van, often have to go back to the DO to pick up the rest

Does anybody else have this issue or just me? I just don't want this injury to become a regular thing/get worse
ssdd
Posts: 2053
Joined: 06 Sep 2018, 22:39
Gender: Male

Re: Combo vans too low

Post by ssdd »

Haven't driven one in a while, but I do remember them being a bit of a pain to climb out of. Try and park with your nearside to the kerb whenever you can (not always practical), as climbing out onto the kerb makes it worse. Failing that, leave a bit of a gap so you have more room to step down.
Last edited by ssdd on 17 Dec 2021, 20:05, edited 1 time in total.
scoobydo79
Posts: 2057
Joined: 15 May 2011, 19:04
Gender: Male

Re: Combo vans too low

Post by scoobydo79 »

This came up a little while back and I will say the same now as I did then.See Your Doctor.I had similar and thought it was groin strain and it is an inguinal hernia which has got worse and Im waiting for surgery now. Get checked out or have a google of its symptoms.
Bboingg
Posts: 69
Joined: 21 Jun 2017, 20:35
Gender: Male

Re: Combo vans too low

Post by Bboingg »

Same trouble.
push bottom forward , swing both legs out together, similar getting back in. Takes a bit longer but less strain.
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

Re: Combo vans too low

Post by rambo1 »

Jmartindale130 wrote: ↑
17 Dec 2021, 19:48
I know this might sound stupid but, this is the second time I've had really bad groin pain while doing this job and I think it's from getting in and out of the combo vans, they're too low and once I start to get pain it doesn't go away for weeks

They should scrap all the combos and everybody should get a decent sized van

We can't even fit all of our parcels from our duty in the van, often have to go back to the DO to pick up the rest

Does anybody else have this issue or just me? I just don't want this injury to become a regular thing/get worse
I'm 6 foot and refuse to drive them. I had a knee cartilage issue a few yrs ago and no way am I getting up out if one of those vans.
Jmartindale130
Posts: 16
Joined: 06 Jul 2021, 16:48
Gender: Male

Re: Combo vans too low

Post by Jmartindale130 »

Cheers guys, think I may have to have a trip to my local gp!
EdRush
Posts: 123
Joined: 19 Oct 2016, 20:18
Gender: Male

Re: Combo vans too low

Post by EdRush »

149052596_1333148170396382_9220099690622273478_n.jpg
You won't have that trouble with the new fleet vans! Just stand straight up... coming October

:nana
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
postieblueshirt
Posts: 1241
Joined: 01 Oct 2019, 22:05
Gender: Male

Re: Combo vans too low

Post by postieblueshirt »

Try being a short arse at 5ft5 the sun visor is up there laughing at me bloody useless the seat is to far down..
ted_e_bear
Posts: 4116
Joined: 03 Sep 2012, 19:37
Gender: Male

Re: Combo vans too low

Post by ted_e_bear »

They must surely disappear eventually, we've got a 58 reg still hanging on so 13 years old, how about re-investing in the business, perhaps a few posties might not go amiss either.
panzer4
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 173
Joined: 25 Jul 2015, 10:58
Gender: Male

Re: Combo vans too low

Post by panzer4 »

scoobydo79 wrote: ↑
17 Dec 2021, 19:55
This came up a little while back and I will say the same now as I did then.See Your Doctor.I had similar and thought it was groin strain and it is an inguinal hernia which has got worse and Im waiting for surgery now. Get checked out or have a google of its symptoms.
I had the same issue and ended up with a couple of inguinal hernias do see a doctor if it’s possible to SEE a doctor at the moment ,because surgery is the only cure.
I ended up in A and E with a strangulated intestine so take care.
davyboy
Posts: 1
Joined: 29 Dec 2020, 18:30
Gender: Male

Re: Combo vans too low

Post by davyboy »

I USE ONE, TOTALLY TERRIBLE, SIT ON SOME BAGS TO MAKE IT BETTER
priority102
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 520
Joined: 04 Aug 2009, 18:57
Gender: Female

Re: Combo vans too low

Post by priority102 »

davyboy wrote: ↑
18 Dec 2021, 12:42
I USE ONE, TOTALLY TERRIBLE, SIT ON SOME BAGS TO MAKE IT BETTER
Makes you giggle to have to follow advice like this, when you're driving a van that is part of the largest fleet in the UK :Very Happy :Very Happy :Very Happy
scoobydo79
Posts: 2057
Joined: 15 May 2011, 19:04
Gender: Male

Re: Combo vans too low

Post by scoobydo79 »

panzer4 wrote: ↑
18 Dec 2021, 10:28
scoobydo79 wrote: ↑
17 Dec 2021, 19:55
This came up a little while back and I will say the same now as I did then.See Your Doctor.I had similar and thought it was groin strain and it is an inguinal hernia which has got worse and Im waiting for surgery now. Get checked out or have a google of its symptoms.
I had the same issue and ended up with a couple of inguinal hernias do see a doctor if it’s possible to SEE a doctor at the moment ,because surgery is the only cure.
I ended up in A and E with a strangulated intestine so take care.
Strangulated intestine? :shock: What happened? Where where You at the time :Sick
greengiant
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1268
Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
Gender: Male

Re: Combo vans too low

Post by greengiant »

At least the old combos had a bit of poke about them, compared with the asthmatic bippers.
wallop
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 251
Joined: 02 Feb 2011, 07:34
Gender: Male

Re: Combo vans too low

Post by wallop »

The one i drive is like a clown car bits just fall off,The doors fell off its hinges 3 times and the entire back bumper fell off the other week so our crack team of mechanics have riveted it back on,They've obviously moved on from using cable ties.