Hi,
I have asked this question in my office to a number of people including a manager and union rep and have received different answers or the standard “I’ll get back to you on that”…but they never do. So, can you knowledgeable people advise?
Anyway…. I have recently transferred (happily) into a new delivery office. There have now been 3 ft vacancies put onto the board and obviously I’m interested as I’m just a reserve/cover at the moment. I brought with me 8 years seniority.
I’d like to apply but I’m a bit confused where I stand as I’ve been told various things..
1 - I can apply now with 8 years seniority
2 - I have to be in the office for a year before my seniority kicks in so my seniority will just be a couple of months at this point.
3 - my seniority will be a couple of months for these vacancies but if new vacancies occur because of people changing duties to get an advertised vacancy, my seniority will be the full 8 years for the next round of vacancies.
Obviously, this will mean the difference between possibly landing a vacancy or having little chance as I’ll have less seniority than people who joined the office just before I did.
Any correct answers?
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Seniority after a transfer regarding vacancies question
-
bricam2096
- Posts: 11
- Joined: 31 Jan 2011, 22:01
- Gender: Male
-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16710
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
Re: Seniority after a transfer regarding vacancies question
Seniority is seniority.
You can apply now with your 8 years.
If anyone tells you different ask to see it in writing.
You can apply now with your 8 years.
If anyone tells you different ask to see it in writing.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
-
ConeHater
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 1184
- Joined: 25 Sep 2020, 12:37
- Gender: Male
Re: Seniority after a transfer regarding vacancies question
Why don’t you just apply, what’s the worst that can happen ? If you don’t get a position due to the possibilities you’ve suggested you’ll be carrying on as you are. If you don’t apply you’ll be carrying on as you are, but wondering whether you should have applied - and if it transpires that information you were given which stopped you going for it was wrong you’ll be p*ss*d off as well !
-
pieoftheday
- Posts: 1843
- Joined: 11 Mar 2010, 16:43
- Gender: Male
Re: Seniority after a transfer regarding vacancies question
I was always lead to believe that if you requested the transfer you didn't take any seniority with you but if you had to transfer you didbricam2096 wrote: ↑15 Oct 2021, 16:35Hi,
I have asked this question in my office to a number of people including a manager and union rep and have received different answers or the standard “I’ll get back to you on that”…but they never do. So, can you knowledgeable people advise?
Anyway…. I have recently transferred (happily) into a new delivery office. There have now been 3 ft vacancies put onto the board and obviously I’m interested as I’m just a reserve/cover at the moment. I brought with me 8 years seniority.
I’d like to apply but I’m a bit confused where I stand as I’ve been told various things..
1 - I can apply now with 8 years seniority
2 - I have to be in the office for a year before my seniority kicks in so my seniority will just be a couple of months at this point.
3 - my seniority will be a couple of months for these vacancies but if new vacancies occur because of people changing duties to get an advertised vacancy, my seniority will be the full 8 years for the next round of vacancies.
Obviously, this will mean the difference between possibly landing a vacancy or having little chance as I’ll have less seniority than people who joined the office just before I did.
Any correct answers?
-
zipmeister
- Posts: 136
- Joined: 04 Mar 2010, 17:37
- Gender: Male
Re: Seniority after a transfer regarding vacancies question
From Way forward agreement:
13.7 Because seniority is based on length of service there will be no need to adjust seniority when employees transfer between offices, whether on a voluntary or compulsory basis.
13.7 Because seniority is based on length of service there will be no need to adjust seniority when employees transfer between offices, whether on a voluntary or compulsory basis.
-
P13
- Posts: 1016
- Joined: 11 Oct 2007, 14:35
- Gender: Male
Re: Seniority after a transfer regarding vacancies question
That changed when the way forward agreement was implementedpieoftheday wrote: ↑15 Oct 2021, 17:00I was always lead to believe that if you requested the transfer you didn't take any seniority with you but if you had to transfer you didbricam2096 wrote: ↑15 Oct 2021, 16:35Hi,
I have asked this question in my office to a number of people including a manager and union rep and have received different answers or the standard “I’ll get back to you on that”…but they never do. So, can you knowledgeable people advise?
Anyway…. I have recently transferred (happily) into a new delivery office. There have now been 3 ft vacancies put onto the board and obviously I’m interested as I’m just a reserve/cover at the moment. I brought with me 8 years seniority.
I’d like to apply but I’m a bit confused where I stand as I’ve been told various things..
1 - I can apply now with 8 years seniority
2 - I have to be in the office for a year before my seniority kicks in so my seniority will just be a couple of months at this point.
3 - my seniority will be a couple of months for these vacancies but if new vacancies occur because of people changing duties to get an advertised vacancy, my seniority will be the full 8 years for the next round of vacancies.
Obviously, this will mean the difference between possibly landing a vacancy or having little chance as I’ll have less seniority than people who joined the office just before I did.
Any correct answers?
-
jam05
- Posts: 6
- Joined: 06 Jul 2009, 16:44
- Gender: Male
Re: Seniority after a transfer regarding vacancies question
I kept my seniority when I transferred voluntarily. I would be wary of anyone telling you that you don’t keep it. If I’m doubt talk to your area union rep.
-
jam05
- Posts: 6
- Joined: 06 Jul 2009, 16:44
- Gender: Male
-
Iva bigredbag
- Posts: 167
- Joined: 19 Dec 2012, 19:33
- Gender: Male
Re: Seniority after a transfer regarding vacancies question
Area Rep? What's one of those. We have not seen any union rep in our office for over 2 years since our office rep found another job at TESCO. Still we have to pay our subs because who else is going to fund Dave's 100 thousand plus a year salary for making our working conditions way worse in every agreement? Solidarity says Dave Ward, while sitting in his big office in London on 100K + a year, counting his massive pile of RM shares that magically appeared on his office desk after the last agreeement; solidarity my arse.
-
smok3y666
- Posts: 754
- Joined: 21 Dec 2008, 10:47
- Gender: Male
Re: Seniority after a transfer regarding vacancies question
I transferred with full seniority from Parcelforce into Royal Mail from day 1, no questions asked.
-
lee trigger
- Posts: 28
- Joined: 18 Jul 2014, 20:12
- Gender: Male
Re: Seniority after a transfer regarding vacancies question
Why don't you become a rep?just a thought