ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Seniority after a transfer regarding vacancies question

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
bricam2096
Posts: 11
Joined: 31 Jan 2011, 22:01
Gender: Male

Seniority after a transfer regarding vacancies question

Post by bricam2096 »

Hi,

I have asked this question in my office to a number of people including a manager and union rep and have received different answers or the standard “I’ll get back to you on that”…but they never do. So, can you knowledgeable people advise?


Anyway…. I have recently transferred (happily) into a new delivery office. There have now been 3 ft vacancies put onto the board and obviously I’m interested as I’m just a reserve/cover at the moment. I brought with me 8 years seniority.

I’d like to apply but I’m a bit confused where I stand as I’ve been told various things..

1 - I can apply now with 8 years seniority
2 - I have to be in the office for a year before my seniority kicks in so my seniority will just be a couple of months at this point.
3 - my seniority will be a couple of months for these vacancies but if new vacancies occur because of people changing duties to get an advertised vacancy, my seniority will be the full 8 years for the next round of vacancies.

Obviously, this will mean the difference between possibly landing a vacancy or having little chance as I’ll have less seniority than people who joined the office just before I did.

Any correct answers?
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16710
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: Seniority after a transfer regarding vacancies question

Post by clashcityrocker »

Seniority is seniority.
You can apply now with your 8 years.

If anyone tells you different ask to see it in writing.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
ConeHater
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 1184
Joined: 25 Sep 2020, 12:37
Gender: Male

Re: Seniority after a transfer regarding vacancies question

Post by ConeHater »

Why don’t you just apply, what’s the worst that can happen ? If you don’t get a position due to the possibilities you’ve suggested you’ll be carrying on as you are. If you don’t apply you’ll be carrying on as you are, but wondering whether you should have applied - and if it transpires that information you were given which stopped you going for it was wrong you’ll be p*ss*d off as well !
pieoftheday
Posts: 1843
Joined: 11 Mar 2010, 16:43
Gender: Male

Re: Seniority after a transfer regarding vacancies question

Post by pieoftheday »

bricam2096 wrote: ↑
15 Oct 2021, 16:35
Hi,

I have asked this question in my office to a number of people including a manager and union rep and have received different answers or the standard “I’ll get back to you on that”…but they never do. So, can you knowledgeable people advise?


Anyway…. I have recently transferred (happily) into a new delivery office. There have now been 3 ft vacancies put onto the board and obviously I’m interested as I’m just a reserve/cover at the moment. I brought with me 8 years seniority.

I’d like to apply but I’m a bit confused where I stand as I’ve been told various things..

1 - I can apply now with 8 years seniority
2 - I have to be in the office for a year before my seniority kicks in so my seniority will just be a couple of months at this point.
3 - my seniority will be a couple of months for these vacancies but if new vacancies occur because of people changing duties to get an advertised vacancy, my seniority will be the full 8 years for the next round of vacancies.

Obviously, this will mean the difference between possibly landing a vacancy or having little chance as I’ll have less seniority than people who joined the office just before I did.

Any correct answers?
I was always lead to believe that if you requested the transfer you didn't take any seniority with you but if you had to transfer you did
zipmeister
Posts: 136
Joined: 04 Mar 2010, 17:37
Gender: Male

Re: Seniority after a transfer regarding vacancies question

Post by zipmeister »

From Way forward agreement:

13.7 Because seniority is based on length of service there will be no need to adjust seniority when employees transfer between offices, whether on a voluntary or compulsory basis.
P13
Posts: 1016
Joined: 11 Oct 2007, 14:35
Gender: Male

Re: Seniority after a transfer regarding vacancies question

Post by P13 »

pieoftheday wrote: ↑
15 Oct 2021, 17:00
bricam2096 wrote: ↑
15 Oct 2021, 16:35
Hi,

I have asked this question in my office to a number of people including a manager and union rep and have received different answers or the standard “I’ll get back to you on that”…but they never do. So, can you knowledgeable people advise?


Anyway…. I have recently transferred (happily) into a new delivery office. There have now been 3 ft vacancies put onto the board and obviously I’m interested as I’m just a reserve/cover at the moment. I brought with me 8 years seniority.

I’d like to apply but I’m a bit confused where I stand as I’ve been told various things..

1 - I can apply now with 8 years seniority
2 - I have to be in the office for a year before my seniority kicks in so my seniority will just be a couple of months at this point.
3 - my seniority will be a couple of months for these vacancies but if new vacancies occur because of people changing duties to get an advertised vacancy, my seniority will be the full 8 years for the next round of vacancies.

Obviously, this will mean the difference between possibly landing a vacancy or having little chance as I’ll have less seniority than people who joined the office just before I did.

Any correct answers?
I was always lead to believe that if you requested the transfer you didn't take any seniority with you but if you had to transfer you did
That changed when the way forward agreement was implemented
jam05
Posts: 6
Joined: 06 Jul 2009, 16:44
Gender: Male

Re: Seniority after a transfer regarding vacancies question

Post by jam05 »

I kept my seniority when I transferred voluntarily. I would be wary of anyone telling you that you don’t keep it. If I’m doubt talk to your area union rep.
jam05
Posts: 6
Joined: 06 Jul 2009, 16:44
Gender: Male

Re: Seniority after a transfer regarding vacancies question

Post by jam05 »

If *in* doubt
Iva bigredbag
Posts: 167
Joined: 19 Dec 2012, 19:33
Gender: Male

Re: Seniority after a transfer regarding vacancies question

Post by Iva bigredbag »

jam05 wrote: ↑
15 Oct 2021, 17:36
I kept my seniority when I transferred voluntarily. I would be wary of anyone telling you that you don’t keep it. If I’m doubt talk to your area union rep.
Area Rep? What's one of those. We have not seen any union rep in our office for over 2 years since our office rep found another job at TESCO. Still we have to pay our subs because who else is going to fund Dave's 100 thousand plus a year salary for making our working conditions way worse in every agreement? Solidarity says Dave Ward, while sitting in his big office in London on 100K + a year, counting his massive pile of RM shares that magically appeared on his office desk after the last agreeement; solidarity my arse.
smok3y666
Posts: 754
Joined: 21 Dec 2008, 10:47
Gender: Male

Re: Seniority after a transfer regarding vacancies question

Post by smok3y666 »

I transferred with full seniority from Parcelforce into Royal Mail from day 1, no questions asked.
lee trigger
Posts: 28
Joined: 18 Jul 2014, 20:12
Gender: Male

Re: Seniority after a transfer regarding vacancies question

Post by lee trigger »

Why don't you become a rep?just a thought