ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Tracked items

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
iamnotadoormat
Posts: 125
Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 10:26
Gender: Male

Tracked items

Post by iamnotadoormat »

I work n/s, most of my night is spent scanning tracked items from midnight on. Now they say I can't scan nothing before 2am. Does anyone know if this is the procedure now. If so, its going to have an affect on the deliveries.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72754
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Tracked items

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

iamnotadoormat wrote: ↑
24 Aug 2021, 09:21
I work n/s, most of my night is spent scanning tracked items from midnight on. Now they say I can't scan nothing before 2am. Does anyone know if this is the procedure now. If so, its going to have an affect on the deliveries.
My office went from midnight to 4am for scanning tracked.

Apparently, its to allow customers to use the "Inflight" system to send their items to another address, the callers office, a post office and also to change delivery dates. Though how many do it between midnight and 4am is anyone guess, I think it's more to do with how long it takes to update the system.

When it changed over here we went from 1 or 2 people doing it over 6 hours to 4 over 3 hours. So as long as it's resourced properly ( that is more bodies) it's possible.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12195
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Re: Tracked items

Post by SpacePhoenix »

If true then we'll be failing Tracked everyday as there's no way we'd get it all done if we started at 02:00. There's probably three possibilities:

1) They do away with the stupid idea of not having us not scan any stuff before 02:00
2) We fail a couple of hours worth of Tracked everyday
3) Final dispatch times are made 2 hours later, which will have the inevitable knock-on affect on DO start times
Jefferson Starfish
Posts: 905
Joined: 12 Aug 2011, 15:32
Gender: Female
Location: Greendale DO

Re: Tracked items

Post by Jefferson Starfish »

SpacePhoenix wrote: ↑
24 Aug 2021, 10:11
If true then we'll be failing Tracked everyday as there's no way we'd get it all done if we started at 02:00. There's probably three possibilities:

1) They do away with the stupid idea of not having us not scan any stuff before 02:00
2) We fail a couple of hours worth of Tracked everyday
3) Final dispatch times are made 2 hours later, which will have the inevitable knock-on affect on DO start times
Or has already been said, the work is resourced properly and more people are scanning tracked but from a later time.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12195
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Re: Tracked items

Post by SpacePhoenix »

Jefferson Starfish wrote: ↑
24 Aug 2021, 10:15
SpacePhoenix wrote: ↑
24 Aug 2021, 10:11
If true then we'll be failing Tracked everyday as there's no way we'd get it all done if we started at 02:00. There's probably three possibilities:

1) They do away with the stupid idea of not having us not scan any stuff before 02:00
2) We fail a couple of hours worth of Tracked everyday
3) Final dispatch times are made 2 hours later, which will have the inevitable knock-on affect on DO start times
Or has already been said, the work is resourced properly and more people are scanning tracked but from a later time.
Nope.

1) We physically don't have the room for any extra Tracked setups
2) We don't have the spare PDAs and all the old ones are knackered (they keep crashing a lot)
3) We don't have any powered conveyors spare, as the rest will be in use for normal packets
4) We won't have the staff available, it'd just mean having even more casuals. We're outnumbered by the casuals by at least 2:1 as it is
Jefferson Starfish
Posts: 905
Joined: 12 Aug 2011, 15:32
Gender: Female
Location: Greendale DO

Re: Tracked items

Post by Jefferson Starfish »

You're always very negative aren't you? :hmmmm

This won't work, that won't work, etc.
But I assume changes are made along the way and the mail still gets sorted and despatched to the DO's on time?
Bahia Feliz
Posts: 1169
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 21:04
Gender: Male

Re: Tracked items

Post by Bahia Feliz »

I take it the OP works in a mail centre and not a DO?
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12195
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Re: Tracked items

Post by SpacePhoenix »

Jefferson Starfish wrote: ↑
24 Aug 2021, 11:21
You're always very negative aren't you? :hmmmm

This won't work, that won't work, etc.
But I assume changes are made along the way and the mail still gets sorted and despatched to the DO's on time?
The Tracked goes right to the wire just about every night as it is, and it's the quietest time of the year atm. It's either they axe this stupid idea, we fail some Tracked everynight or we have the final dispatches to DOs a couple of hours later. It's as simple as that
Jefferson Starfish
Posts: 905
Joined: 12 Aug 2011, 15:32
Gender: Female
Location: Greendale DO

Re: Tracked items

Post by Jefferson Starfish »

SpacePhoenix wrote: ↑
24 Aug 2021, 11:41
Jefferson Starfish wrote: ↑
24 Aug 2021, 11:21
You're always very negative aren't you? :hmmmm

This won't work, that won't work, etc.
But I assume changes are made along the way and the mail still gets sorted and despatched to the DO's on time?
The Tracked goes right to the wire just about every night as it is, and it's the quietest time of the year atm.
So what happens at busier times?
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72754
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Tracked items

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Bahia Feliz wrote: ↑
24 Aug 2021, 11:22
I take it the OP works in a mail centre and not a DO?
No, he is talking about deliveries from what I can gather, previous posts talk about DOMs taking a break at the end of the day etc, and he put it in Blue Shirts. I think SpacePhoenix confused the issue, and anyway MCs can process them as they do now. The Inflight's have no effect on Mail Centre processing only deliveries.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
iamnotadoormat
Posts: 125
Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 10:26
Gender: Male

Re: Tracked items

Post by iamnotadoormat »

Yes I work in a do. If I dont start scanning until 2am due to inflights being changed and I start at 2300 that means I've 3 hours to wait.😁 I may bring a bigger lunch. Lol.🤣🤣
ScottR
Posts: 27
Joined: 03 Feb 2015, 17:56
Gender: Male
Location: Scotland

Re: Tracked items

Post by ScottR »

How many walks are in your DO if you need people starting that late/early for tracked out of curiosity?
Knowledge is a treasure but practice is the key to it.
iamnotadoormat
Posts: 125
Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 10:26
Gender: Male

Re: Tracked items

Post by iamnotadoormat »

Do has about 70 duties. Mixture of rural and Town. I am only one on nights. I start scanning all tracked sleeves from midnight then we have a few staff that come in at 5am to scan bulk items then some at 6 to finish what I dont get done.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12195
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Re: Tracked items

Post by SpacePhoenix »

iamnotadoormat wrote: ↑
24 Aug 2021, 17:00
Do has about 70 duties. Mixture of rural and Town. I am only one on nights. I start scanning all tracked sleeves from midnight then we have a few staff that come in at 5am to scan bulk items then some at 6 to finish what I dont get done.
How many Tracked items on average per night? Are they just been scanned into the office or are they being scanned out to a walk at the same time?
iamnotadoormat
Posts: 125
Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 10:26
Gender: Male

Re: Tracked items

Post by iamnotadoormat »

I scan them "ready for delivery "