ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Tracked items
-
iamnotadoormat
- Posts: 125
- Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 10:26
- Gender: Male
Tracked items
I work n/s, most of my night is spent scanning tracked items from midnight on. Now they say I can't scan nothing before 2am. Does anyone know if this is the procedure now. If so, its going to have an affect on the deliveries.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72754
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Tracked items
My office went from midnight to 4am for scanning tracked.iamnotadoormat wrote: ↑24 Aug 2021, 09:21I work n/s, most of my night is spent scanning tracked items from midnight on. Now they say I can't scan nothing before 2am. Does anyone know if this is the procedure now. If so, its going to have an affect on the deliveries.
Apparently, its to allow customers to use the "Inflight" system to send their items to another address, the callers office, a post office and also to change delivery dates. Though how many do it between midnight and 4am is anyone guess, I think it's more to do with how long it takes to update the system.
When it changed over here we went from 1 or 2 people doing it over 6 hours to 4 over 3 hours. So as long as it's resourced properly ( that is more bodies) it's possible.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
SpacePhoenix
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 12195
- Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
- Gender: Male
Re: Tracked items
If true then we'll be failing Tracked everyday as there's no way we'd get it all done if we started at 02:00. There's probably three possibilities:
1) They do away with the stupid idea of not having us not scan any stuff before 02:00
2) We fail a couple of hours worth of Tracked everyday
3) Final dispatch times are made 2 hours later, which will have the inevitable knock-on affect on DO start times
1) They do away with the stupid idea of not having us not scan any stuff before 02:00
2) We fail a couple of hours worth of Tracked everyday
3) Final dispatch times are made 2 hours later, which will have the inevitable knock-on affect on DO start times
-
Jefferson Starfish
- Posts: 905
- Joined: 12 Aug 2011, 15:32
- Gender: Female
- Location: Greendale DO
Re: Tracked items
Or has already been said, the work is resourced properly and more people are scanning tracked but from a later time.SpacePhoenix wrote: ↑24 Aug 2021, 10:11If true then we'll be failing Tracked everyday as there's no way we'd get it all done if we started at 02:00. There's probably three possibilities:
1) They do away with the stupid idea of not having us not scan any stuff before 02:00
2) We fail a couple of hours worth of Tracked everyday
3) Final dispatch times are made 2 hours later, which will have the inevitable knock-on affect on DO start times
-
SpacePhoenix
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 12195
- Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
- Gender: Male
Re: Tracked items
Nope.Jefferson Starfish wrote: ↑24 Aug 2021, 10:15Or has already been said, the work is resourced properly and more people are scanning tracked but from a later time.SpacePhoenix wrote: ↑24 Aug 2021, 10:11If true then we'll be failing Tracked everyday as there's no way we'd get it all done if we started at 02:00. There's probably three possibilities:
1) They do away with the stupid idea of not having us not scan any stuff before 02:00
2) We fail a couple of hours worth of Tracked everyday
3) Final dispatch times are made 2 hours later, which will have the inevitable knock-on affect on DO start times
1) We physically don't have the room for any extra Tracked setups
2) We don't have the spare PDAs and all the old ones are knackered (they keep crashing a lot)
3) We don't have any powered conveyors spare, as the rest will be in use for normal packets
4) We won't have the staff available, it'd just mean having even more casuals. We're outnumbered by the casuals by at least 2:1 as it is
-
Jefferson Starfish
- Posts: 905
- Joined: 12 Aug 2011, 15:32
- Gender: Female
- Location: Greendale DO
Re: Tracked items
You're always very negative aren't you?
This won't work, that won't work, etc.
But I assume changes are made along the way and the mail still gets sorted and despatched to the DO's on time?
This won't work, that won't work, etc.
But I assume changes are made along the way and the mail still gets sorted and despatched to the DO's on time?
-
Bahia Feliz
- Posts: 1169
- Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 21:04
- Gender: Male
Re: Tracked items
I take it the OP works in a mail centre and not a DO?
-
SpacePhoenix
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 12195
- Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
- Gender: Male
Re: Tracked items
The Tracked goes right to the wire just about every night as it is, and it's the quietest time of the year atm. It's either they axe this stupid idea, we fail some Tracked everynight or we have the final dispatches to DOs a couple of hours later. It's as simple as thatJefferson Starfish wrote: ↑24 Aug 2021, 11:21You're always very negative aren't you?![]()
This won't work, that won't work, etc.
But I assume changes are made along the way and the mail still gets sorted and despatched to the DO's on time?
-
Jefferson Starfish
- Posts: 905
- Joined: 12 Aug 2011, 15:32
- Gender: Female
- Location: Greendale DO
Re: Tracked items
So what happens at busier times?SpacePhoenix wrote: ↑24 Aug 2021, 11:41The Tracked goes right to the wire just about every night as it is, and it's the quietest time of the year atm.Jefferson Starfish wrote: ↑24 Aug 2021, 11:21You're always very negative aren't you?![]()
This won't work, that won't work, etc.
But I assume changes are made along the way and the mail still gets sorted and despatched to the DO's on time?
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72754
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Tracked items
No, he is talking about deliveries from what I can gather, previous posts talk about DOMs taking a break at the end of the day etc, and he put it in Blue Shirts. I think SpacePhoenix confused the issue, and anyway MCs can process them as they do now. The Inflight's have no effect on Mail Centre processing only deliveries.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
iamnotadoormat
- Posts: 125
- Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 10:26
- Gender: Male
Re: Tracked items
Yes I work in a do. If I dont start scanning until 2am due to inflights being changed and I start at 2300 that means I've 3 hours to wait.
I may bring a bigger lunch. Lol.

-
ScottR
- Posts: 27
- Joined: 03 Feb 2015, 17:56
- Gender: Male
- Location: Scotland
Re: Tracked items
How many walks are in your DO if you need people starting that late/early for tracked out of curiosity?
Knowledge is a treasure but practice is the key to it.
-
iamnotadoormat
- Posts: 125
- Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 10:26
- Gender: Male
Re: Tracked items
Do has about 70 duties. Mixture of rural and Town. I am only one on nights. I start scanning all tracked sleeves from midnight then we have a few staff that come in at 5am to scan bulk items then some at 6 to finish what I dont get done.
-
SpacePhoenix
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 12195
- Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
- Gender: Male
Re: Tracked items
How many Tracked items on average per night? Are they just been scanned into the office or are they being scanned out to a walk at the same time?iamnotadoormat wrote: ↑24 Aug 2021, 17:00Do has about 70 duties. Mixture of rural and Town. I am only one on nights. I start scanning all tracked sleeves from midnight then we have a few staff that come in at 5am to scan bulk items then some at 6 to finish what I dont get done.
-
iamnotadoormat
- Posts: 125
- Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 10:26
- Gender: Male
Re: Tracked items
I scan them "ready for delivery "