ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

runners complaining about no tips

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Munchboii
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 261
Joined: 15 Oct 2019, 21:25
Gender: Male

Re: runners complaining about no tips

Post by Munchboii »

I'm normally a reserve floater but during the first covid wave I got the chance to be on a urban rural for 5 months. I would have loved to have engaged with everyone but if I did I would go over my time by at least an hour everyday. Some rounds are just too long to talk to people these days :cry

Its either go over an hour each day by talking to everyone or being quick and dumping parcels to get finished in my time. I chose the later! :confused looking back, I wish I had took my time. The weather was perfect and sunny and everybody was home due to covid. May sound strange but I'm sort of missing that weather and novelty of it all now. Always next year I suppose
Jpro747
Posts: 1342
Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
Gender: Male

Re: runners complaining about no tips

Post by Jpro747 »

Remember, the only prize for doing the job fast is more work added to your frame! So here’s a tip: slow down!
ddtc
Posts: 253
Joined: 16 Jul 2012, 19:42
Gender: Male

Re: runners complaining about no tips

Post by ddtc »

Jpro747 wrote: ↑
26 Dec 2020, 23:21
Remember, the only prize for doing the job fast is more work added to your frame! So here’s a tip: slow down!
What if the duty is so short that even going at a slow pace a normal postie going at an ok pace finishes early? :hmmmm
tractorboy2
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 545
Joined: 18 Jan 2012, 11:03
Gender: Male

Re: runners complaining about no tips

Post by tractorboy2 »

yubin282 wrote: ↑
26 Dec 2020, 21:08
wacko74 wrote: ↑
26 Dec 2020, 16:25
twoloops wrote: ↑
26 Dec 2020, 10:16
Most in our office would rather forfeit the tips than engaging with the customers :roll:
Me too, I'm certainly not a runner but I'm quite happy to get no tips as long as the customers don't expect me to be their best mate and stand around chatting boring, inane, repetitive s**t with them for 10 minutes every day.

I find some of the close relationships that some posties have with their customers quite sad on both sides, one postie in my office must have 75% of his customers as his facebook friends and most of his page seems to be him highlighting all the special favours he does for them, followed by them all replying saying what a wonderful postie he is, even though as far as I can see he doesn't actually go to any more trouble or effort than any other half decent postie, he's just a master of self promotion.
Theres a guy in my office who gets a text message from a customer every morning, reminding him not to post her credit cards bills as her husband is at home.
Could you really be bothered with that kind of 'service'.
Not delivering them would be wilful delay , surely !!
yubin282
Posts: 994
Joined: 25 Jul 2014, 19:18
Gender: Male

Re: runners complaining about no tips

Post by yubin282 »

tractorboy2 wrote: ↑
27 Dec 2020, 10:17
yubin282 wrote: ↑
26 Dec 2020, 21:08
wacko74 wrote: ↑
26 Dec 2020, 16:25
twoloops wrote: ↑
26 Dec 2020, 10:16
Most in our office would rather forfeit the tips than engaging with the customers :roll:
Me too, I'm certainly not a runner but I'm quite happy to get no tips as long as the customers don't expect me to be their best mate and stand around chatting boring, inane, repetitive s**t with them for 10 minutes every day.

I find some of the close relationships that some posties have with their customers quite sad on both sides, one postie in my office must have 75% of his customers as his facebook friends and most of his page seems to be him highlighting all the special favours he does for them, followed by them all replying saying what a wonderful postie he is, even though as far as I can see he doesn't actually go to any more trouble or effort than any other half decent postie, he's just a master of self promotion.
Theres a guy in my office who gets a text message from a customer every morning, reminding him not to post her credit cards bills as her husband is at home.
Could you really be bothered with that kind of 'service'.
Not delivering them would be wilful delay , surely !!
But the customer is always right
Acca Dacca
Posts: 3226
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 17:13
Gender: Male

Re: runners complaining about no tips

Post by Acca Dacca »

The customer is actually the person who sent the letters and they paid to have you put them through the door as addressed
If you tolerate this, then your paid break will be next
xPandabear1992x
Posts: 286
Joined: 29 Jul 2019, 00:49
Gender: Male

Re: runners complaining about no tips

Post by xPandabear1992x »

the golden philosophy is that nobody is entitled to tips under any circumstances, so it's better to expect none and be pleasantly surprised if you do get anything, than expect loads and get pissy when you don't get them.
secluder
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 40
Joined: 30 Aug 2009, 10:59
Gender: Male

Re: runners complaining about no tips

Post by secluder »

twoloops wrote: ↑
26 Dec 2020, 20:51
I like to get my headphones in & listen to some podcasts, the last thing I want is to start talking gibberish with some bored, boring customer, over the years I have found the posties that live alone or wife’s are at home all day are the worst, they never want to go home.
You hit the nail squarely on the head.
97gaz
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1023
Joined: 17 Dec 2008, 10:15
Gender: Male

Re: runners complaining about no tips

Post by 97gaz »

yubin282 wrote: ↑
27 Dec 2020, 10:45



But the customer is always right
Not so. The customer is the sender and unless there is a signed retention form in the office stating the retention day, then not posting mail on particular days is wilful delay all day long.
PostmanBitesDog
Posts: 1428
Joined: 17 Feb 2019, 15:46
Gender: Male

Re: runners complaining about no tips

Post by PostmanBitesDog »

eastie wrote: ↑
26 Dec 2020, 10:10
...just doing my round and engaging with the customers all year with £450 tips.
Only £450? :no no

Go for £1,000. :thumbup
dennyboycox
Posts: 56
Joined: 29 Jun 2014, 21:12
Gender: Male

Re: runners complaining about no tips

Post by dennyboycox »

i have a duty but tip my runner ,,,,,give him 20 then all the bsweets hew can eat