ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

What annoys you the most?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
HTPostman
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1507
Joined: 01 Sep 2008, 23:53
Gender: Male

Re: What annoys you the most?

Post by HTPostman »

Pumpernickel wrote: ↑
17 Dec 2020, 21:28
yellowbelly wrote: ↑
16 Dec 2020, 19:33

Or when they're in the garden, you walk past their house to the next house and then they ask 'Anything....?' - like I just
missed you out on purpose for a laugh so I could get some more exercise by walking back to your house again.
Or when they're in the garden as you approach, fiddling in your bag for that parcel you know is there. You find said parcel, look up and they're gone but you see the door close. You roll your eyes, walk down the path, knock, and wait. Then knock again and 739 it.

5 minutes later they come running down the street claiming you didn't even knock.
In those situations I let them wait for me to finish my next few calls, or if I’m feeling particularly cruel say it’s back at the van and they’ll have to come get it (then ‘remember’ when we get to the van it’s in my bag). I’ll always do what I can for people who are pleasant and respectful but as soon as someone is rude or claims I didn’t knock then 2 can play silly buggers.
The day is gonna come when we’re all gonna have to testify.

526
Pumpernickel
Posts: 155
Joined: 09 Nov 2019, 20:55
Gender: Male

Re: What annoys you the most?

Post by Pumpernickel »

HTPostman wrote: ↑
18 Dec 2020, 13:43
Pumpernickel wrote: ↑
17 Dec 2020, 21:28
yellowbelly wrote: ↑
16 Dec 2020, 19:33

Or when they're in the garden, you walk past their house to the next house and then they ask 'Anything....?' - like I just
missed you out on purpose for a laugh so I could get some more exercise by walking back to your house again.
Or when they're in the garden as you approach, fiddling in your bag for that parcel you know is there. You find said parcel, look up and they're gone but you see the door close. You roll your eyes, walk down the path, knock, and wait. Then knock again and 739 it.

5 minutes later they come running down the street claiming you didn't even knock.
In those situations I let them wait for me to finish my next few calls, or if I’m feeling particularly cruel say it’s back at the van and they’ll have to come get it (then ‘remember’ when we get to the van it’s in my bag). I’ll always do what I can for people who are pleasant and respectful but as soon as someone is rude or claims I didn’t knock then 2 can play silly buggers.
I just struggle to believe how stupid people can be:

They have a special on its way. It's in my bag and I know it's there. I get to their loop, and am about 50 yards away from their house and see them getting in their car so I wave at them to get their attention. They wave back and drive off...

Things like this are really rare TBF, but it did happen to me yesterday.
CharlesSpooner
Posts: 383
Joined: 20 Jul 2011, 15:22
Gender: Male

Re: What annoys you the most?

Post by CharlesSpooner »

Woody Guthrie wrote: ↑
15 Dec 2020, 05:57
Drop bag fittings are old skool from when we had very few parcels.
Most offices have moved away from that.
They would be a complete waste of time in most offices now.

It's just as it sounds, a fitting with a lot of bags set up in it to drop the parcels into.
We got shut of the drop bag fittings years ago but when I go in there is two yorks full of packets and several "drop" bags full of more packets crowded round my frame.
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Re: What annoys you the most?

Post by Celgar »

Currently the most annoyance comes from small scale roadworks where they could close one lane but instead close the road completely and set up badly designed diversion routes that send traffic down muddy single track lanes.

Other annoyances include groups of cyclists covering most of the width of the road and HS2 lorries driving down lanes not fit for their purpose.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
themap
Posts: 8
Joined: 26 May 2013, 09:42
Gender: Male

Re: What annoys you the most?

Post by themap »

people who shout who is it when you knock on the door.
people who open the door after you've posted their mail and they just look at you then close the door.
HTPostman
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1507
Joined: 01 Sep 2008, 23:53
Gender: Male

Re: What annoys you the most?

Post by HTPostman »

themap wrote: ↑
20 Dec 2020, 10:18
people who shout who is it when you knock on the door.
people who open the door after you've posted their mail and they just look at you then close the door.
Yes! Finally someone experiences this! I must get it once a day. I’m not particularly noisy nor do I do anything to upset customers so I don’t know why when I post letters through the occasional customer feels the need to open the door, look at me then close it.

I’d kinda understand if they said ‘you haven’t got a parcel for me have you’ but to just look at me as if to say what is that guy possibly doing in a red shirt and shorts carrying a bundle of mail is very unusual.
The day is gonna come when we’re all gonna have to testify.

526
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16710
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: What annoys you the most?

Post by clashcityrocker »

Bin men.
Those cat flaps that don't swing both ways.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
PostmanBitesDog
Posts: 1428
Joined: 17 Feb 2019, 15:46
Gender: Male

Re: What annoys you the most?

Post by PostmanBitesDog »

Bad packaging! :evil/mad

The number of times I've had to place a damaged/ripped/broken mail item in a Royal Mail apology bag... Aarrgghh! :mad

Bad Packing (1).jpg
Bad Packing.jpg
Bad Packing (2).jpg
Bad Packing (3).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jpro747
Posts: 1342
Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
Gender: Male

Re: What annoys you the most?

Post by Jpro747 »

Rich c**ts who live on a different planet and look down on you
People that don’t have the basic social skills/manners to say hi, please and thank you.
Grumpyoldmailman
Posts: 810
Joined: 24 Nov 2019, 22:29
Gender: Male

Re: What annoys you the most?

Post by Grumpyoldmailman »

clashcityrocker wrote: ↑
21 Dec 2020, 15:21
Those cat flaps that don't swing both ways.
I learnt about them the hard way.
twoloops
Posts: 2039
Joined: 24 May 2017, 20:52
Gender: Male
Location: Sheffield

Re: What annoys you the most?

Post by twoloops »

Don’t touch cat flaps ....... dirty :sad:
Lenston
Posts: 15
Joined: 14 Sep 2012, 21:53
Gender: Male

Re: What annoys you the most?

Post by Lenston »

PostmanBitesDog wrote: ↑
21 Dec 2020, 17:55
Bad packaging! :evil/mad

The number of times I've had to place a damaged/ripped/broken mail item in a Royal Mail apology bag... Aarrgghh! :mad


Bad Packing (1).jpg
Bad Packing.jpg
Bad Packing (2).jpg
Bad Packing (3).jpg
I had a similar package the other day. Sizeable cardboard box that was completely undamaged on the outside, but there were two mugs inside with nothing to stop them rolling around and against one another. I thought it didn't sound too good when I handed it over and neither did the customer, so they opened it immediately. One mug was, inevitably, broken :roll:
norris9
Posts: 2696
Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
Gender: Female

Re: What annoys you the most?

Post by norris9 »

1. Managers harassing you to take more than is possible to deliver.

2. People that open the door when you haven't knocked, especially in these Covid times. They open the door as they think you are struggling when you aren't and think pulling the postbox away from you by opening the door is going to help things.

3. People that say 'have you got anything for number _' and hassle you to search for their post in your bag or van.

4. People that have to come to you to complain about door2door leaflets or a miss-delivery, especially in Covid times. Some people really get annoyed by the odd miss-delivery. I get it's annoying, but it's devastating for them.
Speedmeister
Posts: 119
Joined: 10 Feb 2011, 22:06
Gender: Male

Re: What annoys you the most?

Post by Speedmeister »

Envelopes with windows in them where the letter has moved obscuring the address :roll: - quite often no matter how hard you try you can't get the letter inside to move so you can see the address and end up ripping the front to see it.
They take the profits, you take the blame
When they tell you there's no rise in pay
PostmanBitesDog
Posts: 1428
Joined: 17 Feb 2019, 15:46
Gender: Male

Re: What annoys you the most?

Post by PostmanBitesDog »

:evil/mad This annoying nonsense:

Bins.jpg

It was refuse collection day today on my walk and sure enough the refuse collectors did their utmost best by leaving the bins they just emptied smack in the middle of the pavements!

What about people in wheelchairs? Or mothers with strollers? Or the disabled in mobility scooters? OR ROYAL MAIL POSTIES!?! :mad
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.