ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Delivering in the Dark

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
CHUCKYPIG
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 132
Joined: 07 Apr 2020, 21:01
Gender: Male

Re: Delivering in the Dark

Post by CHUCKYPIG »

CHUCKYPIG
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 132
Joined: 07 Apr 2020, 21:01
Gender: Male

Re: Delivering in the Dark

Post by CHUCKYPIG »

Celgar wrote: ↑
19 Nov 2020, 22:56
My personal viewpoint is if that someone knocks on my front door and it is dark I will be reluctant to answer or open the door unless I am expecting a visitor. If it is after 1900 I am very unlikely to answer the door.
Therefore for this reason alone I for one will not be delivering in the dark. I will make sure the parcels get delivered so if it gets as bad as we all think it will the letters are going to be on a rolling cut-off. Also by the time it gets fully dark I will be up to two hours extended delivery and I don't really want to do more than that per day. I like to keep 'my customers' happy but there is a limit to how much of my life I wish to devote to the job.
Lucky you mate. Some of us have no choice. We have to start in the afternoon and so our finish time is 6pm thats just our normal hours because of not van sharing. So its not about working overtime our actual working time is in the dark.
PostmanBitesDog
Posts: 1428
Joined: 17 Feb 2019, 15:46
Gender: Male

Re: Delivering in the Dark

Post by PostmanBitesDog »

Celgar wrote: ↑
19 Nov 2020, 22:56
If it is after 1900 I am very unlikely to answer the door.
I don't even answer my phone after dark.
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Re: Delivering in the Dark

Post by Postie45 »

rambo1 wrote: ↑
19 Nov 2020, 19:10
I've got a ledlenser , got it from go outdoors last yr for about £40, it's worth spending that amount, don't get cheap shite, it's rechargeable and it's honestly like delivering in daylight, full beam last about an hr but you can vary the brightness. Only problem is it tends to blind you a bit if you have white letters and look at them. Oh, don't shine it in a customers face either, again, blinding issue lol.
Ok, I will say that we shouldn't have to pay for these but as usual royal mail provided equipment is sub standard crap, so it's up to you but it is useful for other stuff non work related.
kudos to you for buying your own torch, however these are tools RM should be providing us with.
mr hil.
Posts: 425
Joined: 19 Sep 2007, 18:22
Gender: Male

Re: Delivering in the Dark

Post by mr hil. »

There is a new LED torch on the uniform website, it's great.
TheoF95
Posts: 57
Joined: 20 Jan 2019, 10:07
Gender: Male

Re: Delivering in the Dark

Post by TheoF95 »

CHUCKYPIG wrote: ↑
20 Nov 2020, 08:34
Celgar wrote: ↑
19 Nov 2020, 22:56
My personal viewpoint is if that someone knocks on my front door and it is dark I will be reluctant to answer or open the door unless I am expecting a visitor. If it is after 1900 I am very unlikely to answer the door.
Therefore for this reason alone I for one will not be delivering in the dark. I will make sure the parcels get delivered so if it gets as bad as we all think it will the letters are going to be on a rolling cut-off. Also by the time it gets fully dark I will be up to two hours extended delivery and I don't really want to do more than that per day. I like to keep 'my customers' happy but there is a limit to how much of my life I wish to devote to the job.
Lucky you mate. Some of us have no choice. We have to start in the afternoon and so our finish time is 6pm thats just our normal hours because of not van sharing. So its not about working overtime our actual working time is in the dark.
I thought late starts were voluntary? just come in at your contracted start time and get a union rep to back you
CHUCKYPIG
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 132
Joined: 07 Apr 2020, 21:01
Gender: Male

Re: Delivering in the Dark

Post by CHUCKYPIG »

TheoF95 wrote: ↑
22 Nov 2020, 12:44

I thought late starts were voluntary? just come in at your contracted start time and get a union rep to back you
Nah mate. Not voluntary. I've checked with the union rep and the managers.

Yet again us newbies are screwed. We don't have hours in our contracts. Our hours can be changed "to suit the needs of the business".