Pipe line and automation means less people and dispatch times for all for some it will suit for others not.postieblueshirt wrote:I know they have been bringing the times forward and they always will.just saying a lot of people wished they still started at the old timesk979aaa wrote:They are thinking of pushing the time forward not backwards.matthew68 wrote:No chance it’s anti social hours with a family, you would need to be in bed for 8 o’clock, those days are gone with the shift allowance, I now start at 715?and not a minute earlier take break and claim or cut offpostieblueshirt wrote:I know a lot of posties including myself that would jump at the chance of 5am starts again..
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
You can now order LED torches!!!
-
k979aaa
- Posts: 12578
- Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
- Gender: Male
- Location: THE NORTH
You can now order LED torches!!!
-
Celgar
- Posts: 2795
- Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
- Gender: Male
You can now order LED torches!!!
Moving the start times forward was ALWAYS about reducing the amount RM pay out for work competed before 0600. They dress it up as being about helping the 'customer' or even the 'recipient' but it was never about that. In fact the earlier some 'recipients' receive their mail the happier they are.
On the subject of delivering in the dark at start of delivery it was always a pain in the **** back when we had bikes struggling to read the addresses. The torches back then including the cycle lights were never that good. Most of us like finishing earlier for numerous reasons but I wouldn't want to go back to that. I did like using the bikes but the amount of packets & parcels we deal with nowadays make going back impossible. I do think we should resist moves to deliver any later than we already do though.
On the subject of delivering in the dark at start of delivery it was always a pain in the **** back when we had bikes struggling to read the addresses. The torches back then including the cycle lights were never that good. Most of us like finishing earlier for numerous reasons but I wouldn't want to go back to that. I did like using the bikes but the amount of packets & parcels we deal with nowadays make going back impossible. I do think we should resist moves to deliver any later than we already do though.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
-
streets97
- Posts: 92
- Joined: 13 Oct 2010, 21:43
- Gender: Male
You can now order LED torches!!!
Why resist to deliver later, if your start time gets later you will have to deliver later. It really is that simple. I remember starting at 5am and going out at 6:45 to start delivering, I would rather go back to those days than start later.Celgar wrote:Moving the start times forward was ALWAYS about reducing the amount RM pay out for work competed before 0600. They dress it up as being about helping the 'customer' or even the 'recipient' but it was never about that. In fact the earlier some 'recipients' receive their mail the happier they are.
On the subject of delivering in the dark at start of delivery it was always a pain in the **** back when we had bikes struggling to read the addresses. The torches back then including the cycle lights were never that good. Most of us like finishing earlier for numerous reasons but I wouldn't want to go back to that. I did like using the bikes but the amount of packets & parcels we deal with nowadays make going back impossible. I do think we should resist moves to deliver any later than we already do though.
-
97gaz
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1023
- Joined: 17 Dec 2008, 10:15
- Gender: Male
You can now order LED torches!!!
Celgar wrote:Moving the start times forward was ALWAYS about reducing the amount RM pay out for work competed before 0600. They dress it up as being about helping the 'customer' or even the 'recipient' but it was never about that. In fact the earlier some 'recipients' receive their mail the happier they are.
On the subject of delivering in the dark at start of delivery it was always a pain in the **** back when we had bikes struggling to read the addresses. The torches back then including the cycle lights were never that good. Most of us like finishing earlier for numerous reasons but I wouldn't want to go back to that. I did like using the bikes but the amount of packets & parcels we deal with nowadays make going back impossible. I do think we should resist moves to deliver any later than we already do though.
It wasn't easy working those hours but I really do miss being back home before 12. Back when I started on a 18 hour contract over twenty years ago there were times I was back home for 9am.
-
Grumpyoldmailman
- Posts: 810
- Joined: 24 Nov 2019, 22:29
- Gender: Male
You can now order LED torches!!!
Back in time for a quick shower then onto my 2nd job in the afternoon.97gaz wrote:It wasn't easy working those hours but I really do miss being back home before 12. Back when I started on a 18 hour contract over twenty years ago there were times I was back home for 9am.
-
97gaz
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1023
- Joined: 17 Dec 2008, 10:15
- Gender: Male
You can now order LED torches!!!
Aye. Back then working six days a week with the shorter days and shorter delivery span. I think when I started it was a 41 hour week split into 6 days so less that a 7 hour day. With every bit of mail having to be sorted manually it was a much shorter outdoors.Grumpyoldmailman wrote:Back in time for a quick shower then onto my 2nd job in the afternoon.97gaz wrote:It wasn't easy working those hours but I really do miss being back home before 12. Back when I started on a 18 hour contract over twenty years ago there were times I was back home for 9am.
-
postieblueshirt
- Posts: 1241
- Joined: 01 Oct 2019, 22:05
- Gender: Male
You can now order LED torches!!!
yeah sometimes got back home before my dad left for work my hours were 5am to 10.10am anything after that was overtime.5 years before i got f/t contract.
-
panzer4
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 173
- Joined: 25 Jul 2015, 10:58
- Gender: Male
You can now order LED torches!!!
Just found my contract out when I started 43 hour week 6 days work 1 week 2 days leave £91.14 a week pay union closed shop and sign the official secret act back then you had to do 30 years before you got 5 weeks leave97gaz wrote:Aye. Back then working six days a week with the shorter days and shorter delivery span. I think when I started it was a 41 hour week split into 6 days so less that a 7 hour day. With every bit of mail having to be sorted manually it was a much shorter outdoors.Grumpyoldmailman wrote:Back in time for a quick shower then onto my 2nd job in the afternoon.97gaz wrote:It wasn't easy working those hours but I really do miss being back home before 12. Back when I started on a 18 hour contract over twenty years ago there were times I was back home for 9am.
-
k979aaa
- Posts: 12578
- Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
- Gender: Male
- Location: THE NORTH
You can now order LED torches!!!
Bloody hell would never have started with those terms and conditions.panzer4 wrote:Just found my contract out when I started 43 hour week 6 days work 1 week 2 days leave £91.14 a week pay union closed shop and sign the official secret act back then you had to do 30 years before you got 5 weeks leave97gaz wrote:Aye. Back then working six days a week with the shorter days and shorter delivery span. I think when I started it was a 41 hour week split into 6 days so less that a 7 hour day. With every bit of mail having to be sorted manually it was a much shorter outdoors.Grumpyoldmailman wrote:Back in time for a quick shower then onto my 2nd job in the afternoon.97gaz wrote:It wasn't easy working those hours but I really do miss being back home before 12. Back when I started on a 18 hour contract over twenty years ago there were times I was back home for 9am.
-
postieblueshirt
- Posts: 1241
- Joined: 01 Oct 2019, 22:05
- Gender: Male
You can now order LED torches!!!
That's something I've always wondered do new starts still sign the official secrets act? If not when did it stop..
-
wallan
- Posts: 498
- Joined: 09 Apr 2012, 08:12
- Gender: Male
You can now order LED torches!!!
Started Nov 1963 Aged 16 , 48 Hour Week = £4-16-0 , Full PAY WAS NOT PAID UNTIL YOU WERE 28 YRS OLDpanzer4 wrote:Just found my contract out when I started 43 hour week 6 days work 1 week 2 days leave £91.14 a week pay union closed shop and sign the official secret act back then you had to do 30 years before you got 5 weeks leave97gaz wrote:Aye. Back then working six days a week with the shorter days and shorter delivery span. I think when I started it was a 41 hour week split into 6 days so less that a 7 hour day. With every bit of mail having to be sorted manually it was a much shorter outdoors.Grumpyoldmailman wrote:Back in time for a quick shower then onto my 2nd job in the afternoon.97gaz wrote:It wasn't easy working those hours but I really do miss being back home before 12. Back when I started on a 18 hour contract over twenty years ago there were times I was back home for 9am.
-
panzer4
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 173
- Joined: 25 Jul 2015, 10:58
- Gender: Male
You can now order LED torches!!!
wallan wrote:Started Nov 1963 Aged 16 , 48 Hour Week = £4-16-0 , Full PAY WAS NOT PAID UNTIL YOU WERE 28 YRS OLDpanzer4 wrote:Just found my contract out when I started 43 hour week 6 days work 1 week 2 days leave £91.14 a week pay union closed shop and sign the official secret act back then you had to do 30 years before you got 5 weeks leave97gaz wrote:Aye. Back then working six days a week with the shorter days and shorter delivery span. I think when I started it was a 41 hour week split into 6 days so less that a 7 hour day. With every bit of mail having to be sorted manually it was a much shorter outdoors.Grumpyoldmailman wrote:Back in time for a quick shower then onto my 2nd job in the afternoon.97gaz wrote:It wasn't easy working those hours but I really do miss being back home before 12. Back when I started on a 18 hour contract over twenty years ago there were times I was back home for 9am.
I started nov 1983 so hours and wage had improved had a 12 month probation period and on day i started was told if you don’t want overtime you don’t want the job i think first 10 hours was time and a quarter next 10 hours time and a half after 20 hours double time .you had to wear a tie but not in summer months shorts were not allowed and buy your own shoes
-
wallan
- Posts: 498
- Joined: 09 Apr 2012, 08:12
- Gender: Male
You can now order LED torches!!!
Shoes / Boots were supplied up to the age of 18panzer4 wrote:wallan wrote:Started Nov 1963 Aged 16 , 48 Hour Week = £4-16-0 , Full PAY WAS NOT PAID UNTIL YOU WERE 28 YRS OLDpanzer4 wrote:Just found my contract out when I started 43 hour week 6 days work 1 week 2 days leave £91.14 a week pay union closed shop and sign the official secret act back then you had to do 30 years before you got 5 weeks leave97gaz wrote:Aye. Back then working six days a week with the shorter days and shorter delivery span. I think when I started it was a 41 hour week split into 6 days so less that a 7 hour day. With every bit of mail having to be sorted manually it was a much shorter outdoors.Grumpyoldmailman wrote:Back in time for a quick shower then onto my 2nd job in the afternoon.97gaz wrote:It wasn't easy working those hours but I really do miss being back home before 12. Back when I started on a 18 hour contract over twenty years ago there were times I was back home for 9am.
I started nov 1983 so hours and wage had improved had a 12 month probation period and on day i started was told if you don’t want overtime you don’t want the job i think first 10 hours was time and a quarter next 10 hours time and a half after 20 hours double time .you had to wear a tie but not in summer months shorts were not allowed and buy your own shoes
Night allowance was Not Paid , Hours worked during the night allowance period were reduced by a Third i.e a full night shift of 48 Hrs became 32 Hrs
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
You can now order LED torches!!!
Hark at you lot... sounds like something out of Last of the Summer Wine!
We all know this job has turned to shite, it's a shame because it did used to be a very enjoyable job.
I don't miss the early bedtimes at 2000 though.
Whenever I bump into an OLD Postie who starts going on about what a great job it is I just say, "If you haven't been a Postie within the last 10 years ... You haven't got a clue mate"!
We all know this job has turned to shite, it's a shame because it did used to be a very enjoyable job.
Whenever I bump into an OLD Postie who starts going on about what a great job it is I just say, "If you haven't been a Postie within the last 10 years ... You haven't got a clue mate"!
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
FAB
- Posts: 234
- Joined: 06 May 2017, 22:57
- Gender: Male
You can now order LED torches!!!
There is an old ex postie on my round who is about 90 who keeps saying he would jump at the chance of getting back in!Dorset Plodder wrote:Hark at you lot... sounds like something out of Last of the Summer Wine!![]()
We all know this job has turned to shite, it's a shame because it did used to be a very enjoyable job.I don't miss the early bedtimes at 2000 though.
![]()
Whenever I bump into an OLD Postie who starts going on about what a great job it is I just say, "If you haven't been a Postie within the last 10 years ... You haven't got a clue mate"!