ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

You can now order LED torches!!!

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

You can now order LED torches!!!

Post by k979aaa »

postieblueshirt wrote:
k979aaa wrote:
matthew68 wrote:
postieblueshirt wrote:I know a lot of posties including myself that would jump at the chance of 5am starts again..
No chance it’s anti social hours with a family, you would need to be in bed for 8 o’clock, those days are gone with the shift allowance, I now start at 715?and not a minute earlier take break and claim or cut off
They are thinking of pushing the time forward not backwards.
I know they have been bringing the times forward and they always will.just saying a lot of people wished they still started at the old times
Pipe line and automation means less people and dispatch times for all for some it will suit for others not.
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

You can now order LED torches!!!

Post by Celgar »

Moving the start times forward was ALWAYS about reducing the amount RM pay out for work competed before 0600. They dress it up as being about helping the 'customer' or even the 'recipient' but it was never about that. In fact the earlier some 'recipients' receive their mail the happier they are.
On the subject of delivering in the dark at start of delivery it was always a pain in the **** back when we had bikes struggling to read the addresses. The torches back then including the cycle lights were never that good. Most of us like finishing earlier for numerous reasons but I wouldn't want to go back to that. I did like using the bikes but the amount of packets & parcels we deal with nowadays make going back impossible. I do think we should resist moves to deliver any later than we already do though.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
streets97
Posts: 92
Joined: 13 Oct 2010, 21:43
Gender: Male

You can now order LED torches!!!

Post by streets97 »

Celgar wrote:Moving the start times forward was ALWAYS about reducing the amount RM pay out for work competed before 0600. They dress it up as being about helping the 'customer' or even the 'recipient' but it was never about that. In fact the earlier some 'recipients' receive their mail the happier they are.
On the subject of delivering in the dark at start of delivery it was always a pain in the **** back when we had bikes struggling to read the addresses. The torches back then including the cycle lights were never that good. Most of us like finishing earlier for numerous reasons but I wouldn't want to go back to that. I did like using the bikes but the amount of packets & parcels we deal with nowadays make going back impossible. I do think we should resist moves to deliver any later than we already do though.
Why resist to deliver later, if your start time gets later you will have to deliver later. It really is that simple. I remember starting at 5am and going out at 6:45 to start delivering, I would rather go back to those days than start later.
97gaz
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1023
Joined: 17 Dec 2008, 10:15
Gender: Male

You can now order LED torches!!!

Post by 97gaz »

Celgar wrote:Moving the start times forward was ALWAYS about reducing the amount RM pay out for work competed before 0600. They dress it up as being about helping the 'customer' or even the 'recipient' but it was never about that. In fact the earlier some 'recipients' receive their mail the happier they are.
On the subject of delivering in the dark at start of delivery it was always a pain in the **** back when we had bikes struggling to read the addresses. The torches back then including the cycle lights were never that good. Most of us like finishing earlier for numerous reasons but I wouldn't want to go back to that. I did like using the bikes but the amount of packets & parcels we deal with nowadays make going back impossible. I do think we should resist moves to deliver any later than we already do though.


It wasn't easy working those hours but I really do miss being back home before 12. Back when I started on a 18 hour contract over twenty years ago there were times I was back home for 9am.
Grumpyoldmailman
Posts: 810
Joined: 24 Nov 2019, 22:29
Gender: Male

You can now order LED torches!!!

Post by Grumpyoldmailman »

97gaz wrote:It wasn't easy working those hours but I really do miss being back home before 12. Back when I started on a 18 hour contract over twenty years ago there were times I was back home for 9am.
Back in time for a quick shower then onto my 2nd job in the afternoon.
97gaz
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1023
Joined: 17 Dec 2008, 10:15
Gender: Male

You can now order LED torches!!!

Post by 97gaz »

Grumpyoldmailman wrote:
97gaz wrote:It wasn't easy working those hours but I really do miss being back home before 12. Back when I started on a 18 hour contract over twenty years ago there were times I was back home for 9am.
Back in time for a quick shower then onto my 2nd job in the afternoon.
Aye. Back then working six days a week with the shorter days and shorter delivery span. I think when I started it was a 41 hour week split into 6 days so less that a 7 hour day. With every bit of mail having to be sorted manually it was a much shorter outdoors.
postieblueshirt
Posts: 1241
Joined: 01 Oct 2019, 22:05
Gender: Male

You can now order LED torches!!!

Post by postieblueshirt »

yeah sometimes got back home before my dad left for work my hours were 5am to 10.10am anything after that was overtime.5 years before i got f/t contract.
panzer4
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 173
Joined: 25 Jul 2015, 10:58
Gender: Male

You can now order LED torches!!!

Post by panzer4 »

97gaz wrote:
Grumpyoldmailman wrote:
97gaz wrote:It wasn't easy working those hours but I really do miss being back home before 12. Back when I started on a 18 hour contract over twenty years ago there were times I was back home for 9am.
Back in time for a quick shower then onto my 2nd job in the afternoon.
Aye. Back then working six days a week with the shorter days and shorter delivery span. I think when I started it was a 41 hour week split into 6 days so less that a 7 hour day. With every bit of mail having to be sorted manually it was a much shorter outdoors.
Just found my contract out when I started 43 hour week 6 days work 1 week 2 days leave £91.14 a week pay union closed shop and sign the official secret act back then you had to do 30 years before you got 5 weeks leave :roll:
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

You can now order LED torches!!!

Post by k979aaa »

panzer4 wrote:
97gaz wrote:
Grumpyoldmailman wrote:
97gaz wrote:It wasn't easy working those hours but I really do miss being back home before 12. Back when I started on a 18 hour contract over twenty years ago there were times I was back home for 9am.
Back in time for a quick shower then onto my 2nd job in the afternoon.
Aye. Back then working six days a week with the shorter days and shorter delivery span. I think when I started it was a 41 hour week split into 6 days so less that a 7 hour day. With every bit of mail having to be sorted manually it was a much shorter outdoors.
Just found my contract out when I started 43 hour week 6 days work 1 week 2 days leave £91.14 a week pay union closed shop and sign the official secret act back then you had to do 30 years before you got 5 weeks leave :roll:
Bloody hell would never have started with those terms and conditions.
postieblueshirt
Posts: 1241
Joined: 01 Oct 2019, 22:05
Gender: Male

You can now order LED torches!!!

Post by postieblueshirt »

That's something I've always wondered do new starts still sign the official secrets act? If not when did it stop..
wallan
Posts: 498
Joined: 09 Apr 2012, 08:12
Gender: Male

You can now order LED torches!!!

Post by wallan »

panzer4 wrote:
97gaz wrote:
Grumpyoldmailman wrote:
97gaz wrote:It wasn't easy working those hours but I really do miss being back home before 12. Back when I started on a 18 hour contract over twenty years ago there were times I was back home for 9am.
Back in time for a quick shower then onto my 2nd job in the afternoon.
Aye. Back then working six days a week with the shorter days and shorter delivery span. I think when I started it was a 41 hour week split into 6 days so less that a 7 hour day. With every bit of mail having to be sorted manually it was a much shorter outdoors.
Just found my contract out when I started 43 hour week 6 days work 1 week 2 days leave £91.14 a week pay union closed shop and sign the official secret act back then you had to do 30 years before you got 5 weeks leave :roll:
Started Nov 1963 Aged 16 , 48 Hour Week = £4-16-0 , Full PAY WAS NOT PAID UNTIL YOU WERE 28 YRS OLD
panzer4
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 173
Joined: 25 Jul 2015, 10:58
Gender: Male

You can now order LED torches!!!

Post by panzer4 »

wallan wrote:
panzer4 wrote:
97gaz wrote:
Grumpyoldmailman wrote:
97gaz wrote:It wasn't easy working those hours but I really do miss being back home before 12. Back when I started on a 18 hour contract over twenty years ago there were times I was back home for 9am.
Back in time for a quick shower then onto my 2nd job in the afternoon.
Aye. Back then working six days a week with the shorter days and shorter delivery span. I think when I started it was a 41 hour week split into 6 days so less that a 7 hour day. With every bit of mail having to be sorted manually it was a much shorter outdoors.
Just found my contract out when I started 43 hour week 6 days work 1 week 2 days leave £91.14 a week pay union closed shop and sign the official secret act back then you had to do 30 years before you got 5 weeks leave :roll:
Started Nov 1963 Aged 16 , 48 Hour Week = £4-16-0 , Full PAY WAS NOT PAID UNTIL YOU WERE 28 YRS OLD

I started nov 1983 so hours and wage had improved had a 12 month probation period and on day i started was told if you don’t want overtime you don’t want the job i think first 10 hours was time and a quarter next 10 hours time and a half after 20 hours double time .you had to wear a tie but not in summer months shorts were not allowed and buy your own shoes
wallan
Posts: 498
Joined: 09 Apr 2012, 08:12
Gender: Male

You can now order LED torches!!!

Post by wallan »

panzer4 wrote:
wallan wrote:
panzer4 wrote:
97gaz wrote:
Grumpyoldmailman wrote:
97gaz wrote:It wasn't easy working those hours but I really do miss being back home before 12. Back when I started on a 18 hour contract over twenty years ago there were times I was back home for 9am.
Back in time for a quick shower then onto my 2nd job in the afternoon.
Aye. Back then working six days a week with the shorter days and shorter delivery span. I think when I started it was a 41 hour week split into 6 days so less that a 7 hour day. With every bit of mail having to be sorted manually it was a much shorter outdoors.
Just found my contract out when I started 43 hour week 6 days work 1 week 2 days leave £91.14 a week pay union closed shop and sign the official secret act back then you had to do 30 years before you got 5 weeks leave :roll:
Started Nov 1963 Aged 16 , 48 Hour Week = £4-16-0 , Full PAY WAS NOT PAID UNTIL YOU WERE 28 YRS OLD

I started nov 1983 so hours and wage had improved had a 12 month probation period and on day i started was told if you don’t want overtime you don’t want the job i think first 10 hours was time and a quarter next 10 hours time and a half after 20 hours double time .you had to wear a tie but not in summer months shorts were not allowed and buy your own shoes
Shoes / Boots were supplied up to the age of 18
Night allowance was Not Paid , Hours worked during the night allowance period were reduced by a Third i.e a full night shift of 48 Hrs became 32 Hrs
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

You can now order LED torches!!!

Post by Dorset Plodder »

Hark at you lot... sounds like something out of Last of the Summer Wine! :Very Happy

We all know this job has turned to shite, it's a shame because it did used to be a very enjoyable job. :Boo hoo! I don't miss the early bedtimes at 2000 though. :thumbdown

Whenever I bump into an OLD Postie who starts going on about what a great job it is I just say, "If you haven't been a Postie within the last 10 years ... You haven't got a clue mate"! :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
FAB
Posts: 234
Joined: 06 May 2017, 22:57
Gender: Male

You can now order LED torches!!!

Post by FAB »

Dorset Plodder wrote:Hark at you lot... sounds like something out of Last of the Summer Wine! :Very Happy

We all know this job has turned to shite, it's a shame because it did used to be a very enjoyable job. :Boo hoo! I don't miss the early bedtimes at 2000 though. :thumbdown

Whenever I bump into an OLD Postie who starts going on about what a great job it is I just say, "If you haven't been a Postie within the last 10 years ... You haven't got a clue mate"! :cuppa
There is an old ex postie on my round who is about 90 who keeps saying he would jump at the chance of getting back in! :crazy: