Did anyone ask why?swintontillidie wrote:We've been told that van sharing will be back in the next few weeks,certainly before christmas.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Delivering in the Dark
-
Cucumber
- Posts: 1052
- Joined: 09 Dec 2018, 10:24
- Gender: Female
Delivering in the Dark
-
rambo1
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 3266
- Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
- Gender: Male
Delivering in the Dark
No it doesn't. You're honestly trying to say an hrs delivery in daylight would take 2 to 3 hrs in the dark? I got a decent rechargeable head torch last yr. It hardly takes any longer and I have poorly lit rural roads to deliver.wacko74 wrote:Even with a torch it takes easily 2-3 times as long to deliver in the dark as it does in day light, having to stop and carefully read each address (I know we're supposed to do that anyway, but come on, nobody really does that!) having to carefully watch every step you take up dark garden paths, total inability to see house names and numbers from the van when doing parcels.
-
theotherone
- Posts: 430
- Joined: 04 Jun 2020, 21:58
- Gender: Male
Delivering in the Dark
That's fine if you know where you are going.If Not....f that.rambo1 wrote:No it doesn't. You're honestly trying to say an hrs delivery in daylight would take 2 to 3 hrs in the dark? I got a decent rechargeable head torch last yr. It hardly takes any longer and I have poorly lit rural roads to deliver.wacko74 wrote:Even with a torch it takes easily 2-3 times as long to deliver in the dark as it does in day light, having to stop and carefully read each address (I know we're supposed to do that anyway, but come on, nobody really does that!) having to carefully watch every step you take up dark garden paths, total inability to see house names and numbers from the van when doing parcels.
-
mags999
- Posts: 372
- Joined: 25 Jun 2016, 11:05
- Gender: Male
Delivering in the Dark
some right r soles posting at the minute wannabee managers me thinks 
-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16710
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
Delivering in the Dark
There are people on here who have been reporting the imminent return of van share since about an hour after it was stopped.swintontillidie wrote:We've been told that van sharing will be back in the next few weeks, certainly before Christmas.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
-
Sugar
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 431
- Joined: 08 Jul 2007, 07:57
- Gender: Female
Delivering in the Dark
Been told twice this week by different people from old office that it's due back this month as trial run. If/when I hear more I'll post back.clashcityrocker wrote:There are people on here who have been reporting the imminent return of van share since about an hour after it was stopped.swintontillidie wrote:We've been told that van sharing will be back in the next few weeks, certainly before Christmas.
Playing devils advocate but as a business they need it back if everything is to be believed about the daily losses of a million quid and Christmas not far off. Can't see them coming up with any other viable option especially since they hamstrung themselves in the first place by brining in the daft idea and removing 10's of thousands of pouch boxes off the streets which now would have been invaluable in the current climate.
Legally, health and safety wise well that's for the brains of the business to work out if it's doable and for the union to hold them to task.
Last edited by Sugar on 01 Oct 2020, 10:02, edited 1 time in total.
-
postieblueshirt
- Posts: 1241
- Joined: 01 Oct 2019, 22:05
- Gender: Male
Delivering in the Dark
Yeah or even just kept up some maintenance or the ones that are there.we found the key to our pouch box so tried to use it one day the lock was rusted solid wrecked the key... typical.Sugar wrote:Been told twice this week by different people from old office that it's due back this month as trial run. If/when I hear more I'll post back.clashcityrocker wrote:There are people on here who have been reporting the imminent return of van share since about an hour after it was stopped.swintontillidie wrote:We've been told that van sharing will be back in the next few weeks, certainly before Christmas.
Playing devils advocate but as a business they need it back if everything is to be believed about the daily losses of a million quid and Christmas not far off. Can't see them coming up with any other viable option especially since they hamstring themselves in the first place by brining in the daft idea and removing 10's of thousands of pouch boxes off the streets which now would have been invaluable in the current climate.
Legally, health and safety wise well that's for the brains of the business to work out if it's doable and for the union to hold them to task.
-
wallan
- Posts: 498
- Joined: 09 Apr 2012, 08:12
- Gender: Male
Delivering in the Dark
Totally agree , only other option apart from what seems to happening i.e Early Starts Afternoon Deliveries would be More Vans / Single DeliveriesSugar wrote:Been told twice this week by different people from old office that it's due back this month as trial run. If/when I hear more I'll post back.clashcityrocker wrote:There are people on here who have been reporting the imminent return of van share since about an hour after it was stopped.swintontillidie wrote:We've been told that van sharing will be back in the next few weeks, certainly before Christmas.
Playing devils advocate but as a business they need it back if everything is to be believed about the daily losses of a million quid and Christmas not far off. Can't see them coming up with any other viable option especially since they hamstring themselves in the first place by brining in the daft idea and removing 10's of thousands of pouch boxes off the streets which now would have been invaluable in the current climate.
Legally, health and safety wise well that's for the brains of the business to work out if it's doable and for the union to hold them to task.
-
postieblueshirt
- Posts: 1241
- Joined: 01 Oct 2019, 22:05
- Gender: Male
Delivering in the Dark
I hate doing those at that time people are not up at that time it takes forever to get an answer it's almost pointless and I feel stupid feel like I have to apologise and say I'm made to come this early.xPandabear1992x wrote:mail won't be that hard it'll be parcels that'll be the problem. when I did pre-shift parcel runs last christmas any delivery attempted before 7AM was usually pointless.
-
SpacePhoenix
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 12195
- Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
- Gender: Male
Delivering in the Dark
I thought it was illegal to attempt any delivery before 7ampostieblueshirt wrote:I hate doing those at that time people are not up at that time it takes forever to get an answer it's almost pointless and I feel stupid feel like I have to apologise and say I'm made to come this early.xPandabear1992x wrote:mail won't be that hard it'll be parcels that'll be the problem. when I did pre-shift parcel runs last christmas any delivery attempted before 7AM was usually pointless.
-
postieblueshirt
- Posts: 1241
- Joined: 01 Oct 2019, 22:05
- Gender: Male
Delivering in the Dark
Dunno about illegal but for many years you were told not to attempt before 7AMSpacePhoenix wrote:I thought it was illegal to attempt any delivery before 7ampostieblueshirt wrote:I hate doing those at that time people are not up at that time it takes forever to get an answer it's almost pointless and I feel stupid feel like I have to apologise and say I'm made to come this early.xPandabear1992x wrote:mail won't be that hard it'll be parcels that'll be the problem. when I did pre-shift parcel runs last christmas any delivery attempted before 7AM was usually pointless.
-
Acca Dacca
- Posts: 3226
- Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 17:13
- Gender: Male
Delivering in the Dark
Whats to trial?Sugar wrote:Been told twice this week by different people from old office that it's due back this month as trial run. If/when I hear more I'll post back.clashcityrocker wrote:There are people on here who have been reporting the imminent return of van share since about an hour after it was stopped.swintontillidie wrote:We've been told that van sharing will be back in the next few weeks, certainly before Christmas.
Playing devils advocate but as a business they need it back if everything is to be believed about the daily losses of a million quid and Christmas not far off. Can't see them coming up with any other viable option especially since they hamstrung themselves in the first place by brining in the daft idea and removing 10's of thousands of pouch boxes off the streets which now would have been invaluable in the current climate.
Legally, health and safety wise well that's for the brains of the business to work out if it's doable and for the union to hold them to task.
Put us back the way it was until someone dies? Trial over.
We are not guinea pigs
If you tolerate this, then your paid break will be next
-
Cucumber
- Posts: 1052
- Joined: 09 Dec 2018, 10:24
- Gender: Female
Delivering in the Dark
Companies the world over with far fewer resources than RM have altered their way of working permanently to be covid safe, yet here we are, 6 months on with the mother of all Christmases approaching and all we've had so far is a few well places rumours that they want to trial van shares again.
Van share is dead in the water.
Van share is dead in the water.
-
toonshola
- Posts: 917
- Joined: 29 Jul 2011, 16:31
- Gender: Male
Delivering in the Dark
It’s shocking isn’t it. All duties should have been changed permanently to either hct or single van deliverys, it really wouldn’t have taken much work. This Christmas is going to be a disaster.Cucumber wrote:Companies the world over with far fewer resources than RM have altered their way of working permanently to be covid safe, yet here we are, 6 months on with the mother of all Christmases approaching and all we've had so far is a few well places rumours that they want to trial van shares again.
Van share is dead in the water.
-
2yearpostie
- Posts: 1839
- Joined: 03 Mar 2020, 15:36
- Gender: Male
Delivering in the Dark
is it? in most units postie are only 1m+ away from each other sorting post for a couple of hours, is sitting in a van with a mask on for 10 minutes any more of a risk?Cucumber wrote:Companies the world over with far fewer resources than RM have altered their way of working permanently to be covid safe, yet here we are, 6 months on with the mother of all Christmases approaching and all we've had so far is a few well places rumours that they want to trial van shares again.
Van share is dead in the water.