ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Delivering in the Dark

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Cucumber
Posts: 1052
Joined: 09 Dec 2018, 10:24
Gender: Female

Delivering in the Dark

Post by Cucumber »

swintontillidie wrote:We've been told that van sharing will be back in the next few weeks,certainly before christmas.
Did anyone ask why?
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

Delivering in the Dark

Post by rambo1 »

wacko74 wrote:Even with a torch it takes easily 2-3 times as long to deliver in the dark as it does in day light, having to stop and carefully read each address (I know we're supposed to do that anyway, but come on, nobody really does that!) having to carefully watch every step you take up dark garden paths, total inability to see house names and numbers from the van when doing parcels.
No it doesn't. You're honestly trying to say an hrs delivery in daylight would take 2 to 3 hrs in the dark? I got a decent rechargeable head torch last yr. It hardly takes any longer and I have poorly lit rural roads to deliver.
theotherone
Posts: 430
Joined: 04 Jun 2020, 21:58
Gender: Male

Delivering in the Dark

Post by theotherone »

rambo1 wrote:
wacko74 wrote:Even with a torch it takes easily 2-3 times as long to deliver in the dark as it does in day light, having to stop and carefully read each address (I know we're supposed to do that anyway, but come on, nobody really does that!) having to carefully watch every step you take up dark garden paths, total inability to see house names and numbers from the van when doing parcels.
No it doesn't. You're honestly trying to say an hrs delivery in daylight would take 2 to 3 hrs in the dark? I got a decent rechargeable head torch last yr. It hardly takes any longer and I have poorly lit rural roads to deliver.
That's fine if you know where you are going.If Not....f that.
mags999
Posts: 372
Joined: 25 Jun 2016, 11:05
Gender: Male

Delivering in the Dark

Post by mags999 »

some right r soles posting at the minute wannabee managers me thinks :mad
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16710
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Delivering in the Dark

Post by clashcityrocker »

swintontillidie wrote:We've been told that van sharing will be back in the next few weeks, certainly before Christmas.
There are people on here who have been reporting the imminent return of van share since about an hour after it was stopped.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
Sugar
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 431
Joined: 08 Jul 2007, 07:57
Gender: Female

Delivering in the Dark

Post by Sugar »

clashcityrocker wrote:
swintontillidie wrote:We've been told that van sharing will be back in the next few weeks, certainly before Christmas.
There are people on here who have been reporting the imminent return of van share since about an hour after it was stopped.
Been told twice this week by different people from old office that it's due back this month as trial run. If/when I hear more I'll post back.

Playing devils advocate but as a business they need it back if everything is to be believed about the daily losses of a million quid and Christmas not far off. Can't see them coming up with any other viable option especially since they hamstrung themselves in the first place by brining in the daft idea and removing 10's of thousands of pouch boxes off the streets which now would have been invaluable in the current climate.

Legally, health and safety wise well that's for the brains of the business to work out if it's doable and for the union to hold them to task.
Last edited by Sugar on 01 Oct 2020, 10:02, edited 1 time in total.
postieblueshirt
Posts: 1241
Joined: 01 Oct 2019, 22:05
Gender: Male

Delivering in the Dark

Post by postieblueshirt »

Sugar wrote:
clashcityrocker wrote:
swintontillidie wrote:We've been told that van sharing will be back in the next few weeks, certainly before Christmas.
There are people on here who have been reporting the imminent return of van share since about an hour after it was stopped.
Been told twice this week by different people from old office that it's due back this month as trial run. If/when I hear more I'll post back.

Playing devils advocate but as a business they need it back if everything is to be believed about the daily losses of a million quid and Christmas not far off. Can't see them coming up with any other viable option especially since they hamstring themselves in the first place by brining in the daft idea and removing 10's of thousands of pouch boxes off the streets which now would have been invaluable in the current climate.

Legally, health and safety wise well that's for the brains of the business to work out if it's doable and for the union to hold them to task.
Yeah or even just kept up some maintenance or the ones that are there.we found the key to our pouch box so tried to use it one day the lock was rusted solid wrecked the key... typical.
wallan
Posts: 498
Joined: 09 Apr 2012, 08:12
Gender: Male

Delivering in the Dark

Post by wallan »

Sugar wrote:
clashcityrocker wrote:
swintontillidie wrote:We've been told that van sharing will be back in the next few weeks, certainly before Christmas.
There are people on here who have been reporting the imminent return of van share since about an hour after it was stopped.
Been told twice this week by different people from old office that it's due back this month as trial run. If/when I hear more I'll post back.

Playing devils advocate but as a business they need it back if everything is to be believed about the daily losses of a million quid and Christmas not far off. Can't see them coming up with any other viable option especially since they hamstring themselves in the first place by brining in the daft idea and removing 10's of thousands of pouch boxes off the streets which now would have been invaluable in the current climate.

Legally, health and safety wise well that's for the brains of the business to work out if it's doable and for the union to hold them to task.
Totally agree , only other option apart from what seems to happening i.e Early Starts Afternoon Deliveries would be More Vans / Single Deliveries
postieblueshirt
Posts: 1241
Joined: 01 Oct 2019, 22:05
Gender: Male

Delivering in the Dark

Post by postieblueshirt »

xPandabear1992x wrote:mail won't be that hard it'll be parcels that'll be the problem. when I did pre-shift parcel runs last christmas any delivery attempted before 7AM was usually pointless.
I hate doing those at that time people are not up at that time it takes forever to get an answer it's almost pointless and I feel stupid feel like I have to apologise and say I'm made to come this early.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12195
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Delivering in the Dark

Post by SpacePhoenix »

postieblueshirt wrote:
xPandabear1992x wrote:mail won't be that hard it'll be parcels that'll be the problem. when I did pre-shift parcel runs last christmas any delivery attempted before 7AM was usually pointless.
I hate doing those at that time people are not up at that time it takes forever to get an answer it's almost pointless and I feel stupid feel like I have to apologise and say I'm made to come this early.
I thought it was illegal to attempt any delivery before 7am
postieblueshirt
Posts: 1241
Joined: 01 Oct 2019, 22:05
Gender: Male

Delivering in the Dark

Post by postieblueshirt »

SpacePhoenix wrote:
postieblueshirt wrote:
xPandabear1992x wrote:mail won't be that hard it'll be parcels that'll be the problem. when I did pre-shift parcel runs last christmas any delivery attempted before 7AM was usually pointless.
I hate doing those at that time people are not up at that time it takes forever to get an answer it's almost pointless and I feel stupid feel like I have to apologise and say I'm made to come this early.
I thought it was illegal to attempt any delivery before 7am
Dunno about illegal but for many years you were told not to attempt before 7AM
Acca Dacca
Posts: 3226
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 17:13
Gender: Male

Delivering in the Dark

Post by Acca Dacca »

Sugar wrote:
clashcityrocker wrote:
swintontillidie wrote:We've been told that van sharing will be back in the next few weeks, certainly before Christmas.
There are people on here who have been reporting the imminent return of van share since about an hour after it was stopped.
Been told twice this week by different people from old office that it's due back this month as trial run. If/when I hear more I'll post back.

Playing devils advocate but as a business they need it back if everything is to be believed about the daily losses of a million quid and Christmas not far off. Can't see them coming up with any other viable option especially since they hamstrung themselves in the first place by brining in the daft idea and removing 10's of thousands of pouch boxes off the streets which now would have been invaluable in the current climate.

Legally, health and safety wise well that's for the brains of the business to work out if it's doable and for the union to hold them to task.
Whats to trial?

Put us back the way it was until someone dies? Trial over.

We are not guinea pigs
If you tolerate this, then your paid break will be next
Cucumber
Posts: 1052
Joined: 09 Dec 2018, 10:24
Gender: Female

Delivering in the Dark

Post by Cucumber »

Companies the world over with far fewer resources than RM have altered their way of working permanently to be covid safe, yet here we are, 6 months on with the mother of all Christmases approaching and all we've had so far is a few well places rumours that they want to trial van shares again.
Van share is dead in the water.
toonshola
Posts: 917
Joined: 29 Jul 2011, 16:31
Gender: Male

Delivering in the Dark

Post by toonshola »

Cucumber wrote:Companies the world over with far fewer resources than RM have altered their way of working permanently to be covid safe, yet here we are, 6 months on with the mother of all Christmases approaching and all we've had so far is a few well places rumours that they want to trial van shares again.
Van share is dead in the water.
It’s shocking isn’t it. All duties should have been changed permanently to either hct or single van deliverys, it really wouldn’t have taken much work. This Christmas is going to be a disaster.
2yearpostie
Posts: 1839
Joined: 03 Mar 2020, 15:36
Gender: Male

Delivering in the Dark

Post by 2yearpostie »

Cucumber wrote:Companies the world over with far fewer resources than RM have altered their way of working permanently to be covid safe, yet here we are, 6 months on with the mother of all Christmases approaching and all we've had so far is a few well places rumours that they want to trial van shares again.
Van share is dead in the water.
is it? in most units postie are only 1m+ away from each other sorting post for a couple of hours, is sitting in a van with a mask on for 10 minutes any more of a risk?