ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Christmas/Boxing day 2020

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16710
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Christmas/Boxing day 2020

Post by clashcityrocker »

Is there any need to keep quoting the whole conversation?
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
Janet Brum
Posts: 886
Joined: 28 Sep 2016, 19:52
Gender: Female

Christmas/Boxing day 2020

Post by Janet Brum »

SpacePhoenix wrote:It's not that cut and dry. With the 26th not being the Bank Holiday RM could well have all night shift staff in a 00:00 of the 25th going into the Saturday as the Saturday isn't a Bank Holiday. Given how busy we are now and it's no where near Christmas, with the volume of work that we'll probably have around Christmas my gut feeling is that they might well have us in at midnight. We'll certainly be in at 00:00 of the Monday going into the Tuesday
It says no collections or deliveries, I don`t know about mail centres but I assume they mean all RM staff will be off.
clashcityrocker wrote:Is there any need to keep quoting the whole conversation?
It`s not very easy to delete an unnecesary quote, that`s why people quote multiple posts.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12195
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Christmas/Boxing day 2020

Post by SpacePhoenix »

Janet Brum wrote:
SpacePhoenix wrote:It's not that cut and dry. With the 26th not being the Bank Holiday RM could well have all night shift staff in a 00:00 of the 25th going into the Saturday as the Saturday isn't a Bank Holiday. Given how busy we are now and it's no where near Christmas, with the volume of work that we'll probably have around Christmas my gut feeling is that they might well have us in at midnight. We'll certainly be in at 00:00 of the Monday going into the Tuesday
It says no collections or deliveries, I don`t know about mail centres but I assume they mean all RM staff will be off.
They'll still be lots of mail in the system. If you think it's busy now, just wait till nearer xmas. The mail that gets delivered on the 29th still has to be sorted to DOs and there'll probably shitloads of Tracked entering the system on the Saturday and Sunday
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12195
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Christmas/Boxing day 2020

Post by SpacePhoenix »

tractorboy2 wrote:
SpacePhoenix wrote:For anyone working night shift, would we be back in on the Friday night, going into the Saturday once it's 00:00 Saturday as the Monday is the actual Bank Holiday (Boxing Day)?

I know that night shifts will be back on the Monday 28th going into the Tuesday once it's 00:00 on the Tuesday
You might be , I certainly wont be , I don't work any bank holiday Mondays. Ever since we stopped working Sunday nights.
On the Monday night going into Tuesday, once it's 00:00 Tuesday, it's no longer a Bank Holiday so unless it's booked off any night shift staff will be back in at 00:00 Tuesday
Zicomurphy
Posts: 579
Joined: 24 Oct 2014, 06:40
Gender: Male

Christmas/Boxing day 2020

Post by Zicomurphy »

All I will say is having worked nights in a delivery office in the past it was bad enough having to come in on Boxing Day night and if any manager had tried to tell me I had to come in Christmas Day night I would just of gone sick and come back in the new year.
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

Christmas/Boxing day 2020

Post by Seymour Buts »

Zicomurphy wrote:All I will say is having worked nights in a delivery office in the past it was bad enough having to come in on Boxing Day night and if any manager had tried to tell me I had to come in Christmas Day night I would just of gone sick and come back in the new year.
The night shift at our place doesn't work Xmas week. They also cut all the additional drivers. They say it droos off anyway.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12195
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Christmas/Boxing day 2020

Post by SpacePhoenix »

Seymour Buts wrote:
Zicomurphy wrote:All I will say is having worked nights in a delivery office in the past it was bad enough having to come in on Boxing Day night and if any manager had tried to tell me I had to come in Christmas Day night I would just of gone sick and come back in the new year.
The night shift at our place doesn't work Xmas week. They also cut all the additional drivers. They say it droos off anyway.
Chances are that it's probably going to be different between MCs and DOs though this year we've potentially got much higher traffic levels than a normal Xmas pressure thrown into the mix
tractorboy2
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 545
Joined: 18 Jan 2012, 11:03
Gender: Male

Christmas/Boxing day 2020

Post by tractorboy2 »

SpacePhoenix wrote:
tractorboy2 wrote:
SpacePhoenix wrote:For anyone working night shift, would we be back in on the Friday night, going into the Saturday once it's 00:00 Saturday as the Monday is the actual Bank Holiday (Boxing Day)?

I know that night shifts will be back on the Monday 28th going into the Tuesday once it's 00:00 on the Tuesday
You might be , I certainly wont be , I don't work any bank holiday Mondays. Ever since we stopped working Sunday nights.
On the Monday night going into Tuesday, once it's 00:00 Tuesday, it's no longer a Bank Holiday so unless it's booked off any night shift staff will be back in at 00:00 Tuesday
Do the majority of the night shift in your MC still do a 6 night week with a night off in the week ?
My shift is Mon to Fri , why would I work a Bank Holiday Monday am I not entitled to a night off , same as early or late shift ?
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12195
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Christmas/Boxing day 2020

Post by SpacePhoenix »

tractorboy2 wrote:Do the majority of the night shift in your MC still do a 6 night week with a night off in the week ?
My shift is Mon to Fri , why would I work a Bank Holiday Monday am I not entitled to a night off , same as early or late shift ?
Night shifts have always been on on Boxing night starting at 00:00 as once it gets to midnight it's no longer a Bank Holiday. The actual Bank Holiday this year is the Monday
mjd24
Posts: 1409
Joined: 11 May 2008, 18:48

Christmas/Boxing day 2020

Post by mjd24 »

SpacePhoenix wrote:
Janet Brum wrote:
Janet Brum wrote:
k979aaa wrote:Here https://personal.help.royalmail.com/app ... /a_id/5346" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Image


Image
I thought being on RM`s website it`s enough for everyone to see that we`ll have 4 days off this Christmas?
It's not that cut and dry. With the 26th not being the Bank Holiday RM could well have all night shift staff in a 00:00 of the 25th going into the Saturday as the Saturday isn't a Bank Holiday. Given how busy we are now and it's no where near Christmas, with the volume of work that we'll probably have around Christmas my gut feeling is that they might well have us in at midnight. We'll certainly be in at 00:00 of the Monday going into the Tuesday
Absolute nonsense.

No way will they do this.

Such a pessimist.
Woody Guthrie
Posts: 5166
Joined: 29 Sep 2018, 20:47
Gender: Male

Christmas/Boxing day 2020

Post by Woody Guthrie »

Bear in mind that if your day off is the Saturday you will not get a day back.
A non service day is not a bank holiday, the bank holiday is Monday.
Just a question that pops up here every time Christmas hits the weekend.
Only dead fish follow the current
wallan
Posts: 498
Joined: 09 Apr 2012, 08:12
Gender: Male

Christmas/Boxing day 2020

Post by wallan »

Woody Guthrie wrote:Bear in mind that if your day off is the Saturday you will not get a day back.
A non service day is not a bank holiday, the bank holiday is Monday.
Just a question that pops up here every time Christmas hits the weekend.
Possibly easiest to have all Duties Mon - Thurs that Week , the following week is the problem week with Mon & Fri being Bank Holidays with Sat 2nd Jan being a Service Day
Woody Guthrie
Posts: 5166
Joined: 29 Sep 2018, 20:47
Gender: Male

Christmas/Boxing day 2020

Post by Woody Guthrie »

wallan wrote:
Woody Guthrie wrote:Bear in mind that if your day off is the Saturday you will not get a day back.
A non service day is not a bank holiday, the bank holiday is Monday.
Just a question that pops up here every time Christmas hits the weekend.
Possibly easiest to have all Duties Mon - Thurs that Week , the following week is the problem week with Mon & Fri being Bank Holidays with Sat 2nd Jan being a Service Day
3 day week in Scotland. :nana
Only dead fish follow the current
Zicomurphy
Posts: 579
Joined: 24 Oct 2014, 06:40
Gender: Male

Christmas/Boxing day 2020

Post by Zicomurphy »

Seymour Buts wrote:
Zicomurphy wrote:All I will say is having worked nights in a delivery office in the past it was bad enough having to come in on Boxing Day night and if any manager had tried to tell me I had to come in Christmas Day night I would just of gone sick and come back in the new year.
The night shift at our place doesn't work Xmas week. They also cut all the additional drivers. They say it droos off anyway.

This was back when there were permanent all year round night duties. Hard to believe now but when I done nights about 15 Years ago we had 20 night duties, a night PHG and a night manager and night S/A duties.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12195
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Christmas/Boxing day 2020

Post by SpacePhoenix »

mjd24 wrote:
SpacePhoenix wrote:
Janet Brum wrote:
Janet Brum wrote:
I thought being on RM`s website it`s enough for everyone to see that we`ll have 4 days off this Christmas?
It's not that cut and dry. With the 26th not being the Bank Holiday RM could well have all night shift staff in a 00:00 of the 25th going into the Saturday as the Saturday isn't a Bank Holiday. Given how busy we are now and it's no where near Christmas, with the volume of work that we'll probably have around Christmas my gut feeling is that they might well have us in at midnight. We'll certainly be in at 00:00 of the Monday going into the Tuesday
Absolute nonsense.

No way will they do this.

Such a pessimist.
Given how busy it's likely to be with the extra mail because of Covid + the normal Xmas mail I think there's a strong possibility they will.