ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Christmas/Boxing day 2020
-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16710
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
Christmas/Boxing day 2020
Is there any need to keep quoting the whole conversation?
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
-
Janet Brum
- Posts: 886
- Joined: 28 Sep 2016, 19:52
- Gender: Female
Christmas/Boxing day 2020
It says no collections or deliveries, I don`t know about mail centres but I assume they mean all RM staff will be off.SpacePhoenix wrote:It's not that cut and dry. With the 26th not being the Bank Holiday RM could well have all night shift staff in a 00:00 of the 25th going into the Saturday as the Saturday isn't a Bank Holiday. Given how busy we are now and it's no where near Christmas, with the volume of work that we'll probably have around Christmas my gut feeling is that they might well have us in at midnight. We'll certainly be in at 00:00 of the Monday going into the Tuesday
It`s not very easy to delete an unnecesary quote, that`s why people quote multiple posts.clashcityrocker wrote:Is there any need to keep quoting the whole conversation?
-
SpacePhoenix
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 12195
- Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
- Gender: Male
Christmas/Boxing day 2020
They'll still be lots of mail in the system. If you think it's busy now, just wait till nearer xmas. The mail that gets delivered on the 29th still has to be sorted to DOs and there'll probably shitloads of Tracked entering the system on the Saturday and SundayJanet Brum wrote:It says no collections or deliveries, I don`t know about mail centres but I assume they mean all RM staff will be off.SpacePhoenix wrote:It's not that cut and dry. With the 26th not being the Bank Holiday RM could well have all night shift staff in a 00:00 of the 25th going into the Saturday as the Saturday isn't a Bank Holiday. Given how busy we are now and it's no where near Christmas, with the volume of work that we'll probably have around Christmas my gut feeling is that they might well have us in at midnight. We'll certainly be in at 00:00 of the Monday going into the Tuesday
-
SpacePhoenix
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 12195
- Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
- Gender: Male
Christmas/Boxing day 2020
On the Monday night going into Tuesday, once it's 00:00 Tuesday, it's no longer a Bank Holiday so unless it's booked off any night shift staff will be back in at 00:00 Tuesdaytractorboy2 wrote:You might be , I certainly wont be , I don't work any bank holiday Mondays. Ever since we stopped working Sunday nights.SpacePhoenix wrote:For anyone working night shift, would we be back in on the Friday night, going into the Saturday once it's 00:00 Saturday as the Monday is the actual Bank Holiday (Boxing Day)?
I know that night shifts will be back on the Monday 28th going into the Tuesday once it's 00:00 on the Tuesday
-
Zicomurphy
- Posts: 579
- Joined: 24 Oct 2014, 06:40
- Gender: Male
Christmas/Boxing day 2020
All I will say is having worked nights in a delivery office in the past it was bad enough having to come in on Boxing Day night and if any manager had tried to tell me I had to come in Christmas Day night I would just of gone sick and come back in the new year.
-
Seymour Buts
- Posts: 1148
- Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
- Gender: Male
Christmas/Boxing day 2020
The night shift at our place doesn't work Xmas week. They also cut all the additional drivers. They say it droos off anyway.Zicomurphy wrote:All I will say is having worked nights in a delivery office in the past it was bad enough having to come in on Boxing Day night and if any manager had tried to tell me I had to come in Christmas Day night I would just of gone sick and come back in the new year.
-
SpacePhoenix
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 12195
- Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
- Gender: Male
Christmas/Boxing day 2020
Chances are that it's probably going to be different between MCs and DOs though this year we've potentially got much higher traffic levels than a normal Xmas pressure thrown into the mixSeymour Buts wrote:The night shift at our place doesn't work Xmas week. They also cut all the additional drivers. They say it droos off anyway.Zicomurphy wrote:All I will say is having worked nights in a delivery office in the past it was bad enough having to come in on Boxing Day night and if any manager had tried to tell me I had to come in Christmas Day night I would just of gone sick and come back in the new year.
-
tractorboy2
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 545
- Joined: 18 Jan 2012, 11:03
- Gender: Male
Christmas/Boxing day 2020
Do the majority of the night shift in your MC still do a 6 night week with a night off in the week ?SpacePhoenix wrote:On the Monday night going into Tuesday, once it's 00:00 Tuesday, it's no longer a Bank Holiday so unless it's booked off any night shift staff will be back in at 00:00 Tuesdaytractorboy2 wrote:You might be , I certainly wont be , I don't work any bank holiday Mondays. Ever since we stopped working Sunday nights.SpacePhoenix wrote:For anyone working night shift, would we be back in on the Friday night, going into the Saturday once it's 00:00 Saturday as the Monday is the actual Bank Holiday (Boxing Day)?
I know that night shifts will be back on the Monday 28th going into the Tuesday once it's 00:00 on the Tuesday
My shift is Mon to Fri , why would I work a Bank Holiday Monday am I not entitled to a night off , same as early or late shift ?
-
SpacePhoenix
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 12195
- Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
- Gender: Male
Christmas/Boxing day 2020
Night shifts have always been on on Boxing night starting at 00:00 as once it gets to midnight it's no longer a Bank Holiday. The actual Bank Holiday this year is the Mondaytractorboy2 wrote:Do the majority of the night shift in your MC still do a 6 night week with a night off in the week ?
My shift is Mon to Fri , why would I work a Bank Holiday Monday am I not entitled to a night off , same as early or late shift ?
-
mjd24
- Posts: 1409
- Joined: 11 May 2008, 18:48
Christmas/Boxing day 2020
Absolute nonsense.SpacePhoenix wrote:It's not that cut and dry. With the 26th not being the Bank Holiday RM could well have all night shift staff in a 00:00 of the 25th going into the Saturday as the Saturday isn't a Bank Holiday. Given how busy we are now and it's no where near Christmas, with the volume of work that we'll probably have around Christmas my gut feeling is that they might well have us in at midnight. We'll certainly be in at 00:00 of the Monday going into the TuesdayJanet Brum wrote:I thought being on RM`s website it`s enough for everyone to see that we`ll have 4 days off this Christmas?Janet Brum wrote:k979aaa wrote:Here https://personal.help.royalmail.com/app ... /a_id/5346" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
No way will they do this.
Such a pessimist.
-
Woody Guthrie
- Posts: 5166
- Joined: 29 Sep 2018, 20:47
- Gender: Male
Christmas/Boxing day 2020
Bear in mind that if your day off is the Saturday you will not get a day back.
A non service day is not a bank holiday, the bank holiday is Monday.
Just a question that pops up here every time Christmas hits the weekend.
A non service day is not a bank holiday, the bank holiday is Monday.
Just a question that pops up here every time Christmas hits the weekend.
Only dead fish follow the current
-
wallan
- Posts: 498
- Joined: 09 Apr 2012, 08:12
- Gender: Male
Christmas/Boxing day 2020
Possibly easiest to have all Duties Mon - Thurs that Week , the following week is the problem week with Mon & Fri being Bank Holidays with Sat 2nd Jan being a Service DayWoody Guthrie wrote:Bear in mind that if your day off is the Saturday you will not get a day back.
A non service day is not a bank holiday, the bank holiday is Monday.
Just a question that pops up here every time Christmas hits the weekend.
-
Woody Guthrie
- Posts: 5166
- Joined: 29 Sep 2018, 20:47
- Gender: Male
Christmas/Boxing day 2020
3 day week in Scotland.wallan wrote:Possibly easiest to have all Duties Mon - Thurs that Week , the following week is the problem week with Mon & Fri being Bank Holidays with Sat 2nd Jan being a Service DayWoody Guthrie wrote:Bear in mind that if your day off is the Saturday you will not get a day back.
A non service day is not a bank holiday, the bank holiday is Monday.
Just a question that pops up here every time Christmas hits the weekend.
Only dead fish follow the current
-
Zicomurphy
- Posts: 579
- Joined: 24 Oct 2014, 06:40
- Gender: Male
Christmas/Boxing day 2020
Seymour Buts wrote:The night shift at our place doesn't work Xmas week. They also cut all the additional drivers. They say it droos off anyway.Zicomurphy wrote:All I will say is having worked nights in a delivery office in the past it was bad enough having to come in on Boxing Day night and if any manager had tried to tell me I had to come in Christmas Day night I would just of gone sick and come back in the new year.
This was back when there were permanent all year round night duties. Hard to believe now but when I done nights about 15 Years ago we had 20 night duties, a night PHG and a night manager and night S/A duties.
-
SpacePhoenix
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 12195
- Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
- Gender: Male
Christmas/Boxing day 2020
Given how busy it's likely to be with the extra mail because of Covid + the normal Xmas mail I think there's a strong possibility they will.mjd24 wrote:SpacePhoenix wrote:Absolute nonsense.Janet Brum wrote:It's not that cut and dry. With the 26th not being the Bank Holiday RM could well have all night shift staff in a 00:00 of the 25th going into the Saturday as the Saturday isn't a Bank Holiday. Given how busy we are now and it's no where near Christmas, with the volume of work that we'll probably have around Christmas my gut feeling is that they might well have us in at midnight. We'll certainly be in at 00:00 of the Monday going into the TuesdayJanet Brum wrote:
I thought being on RM`s website it`s enough for everyone to see that we`ll have 4 days off this Christmas?
No way will they do this.
Such a pessimist.

