ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

van share covid

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Jefferson Starfish
Posts: 905
Joined: 12 Aug 2011, 15:32
Gender: Female
Location: Greendale DO

van share covid

Post by Jefferson Starfish »

Cucumber wrote:
shepherdess wrote:Drivers used to be payed a supplement, bring it back even a small amount would make driving more appealing, drivers definitely are under more pressure
I remember the Driving Supplement. It was something like £25-30 a week. People used to actually fight to get onto driving duties for the extra money, so it shows it does work as an incentive.
I still get it - £6 per week.
Cucumber
Posts: 1052
Joined: 09 Dec 2018, 10:24
Gender: Female

van share covid

Post by Cucumber »

Jefferson Starfish wrote:
Cucumber wrote:
shepherdess wrote:Drivers used to be payed a supplement, bring it back even a small amount would make driving more appealing, drivers definitely are under more pressure
I remember the Driving Supplement. It was something like £25-30 a week. People used to actually fight to get onto driving duties for the extra money, so it shows it does work as an incentive.
I still get it - £6 per week.
There was definitely a bigger payment than £6. I remember it as we used to take turns on this driving duty and it was a decent incentive.
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

van share covid

Post by NewPostieUK »

dohnut wrote:Does anyone else have to partner up with someone who doesnt drive for royalmail but can drive, so you have to do all the driving.
If you are on a driving duty you are the driver, and have to do all the driving. It makes no difference if your passenger can drive or not.
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

van share covid

Post by NewPostieUK »

Philbag70 wrote:Yup. Exactly that. My 'passenger' finished at 11 today and I still had 2 loops plus parcels. I still finished at 1, so no complaints, but it's not an even playing field at present.
Thats outrageous. Your manager should be shot.

There are offices that are really struggling, people having to take out two days worth, doing overtime they really don't want, and your manager is allowing people to finish 2or 3 hours early.
This makes me sick.

Too f***ing right it isn't a level playing field .
wallan
Posts: 498
Joined: 09 Apr 2012, 08:12
Gender: Male

van share covid

Post by wallan »

Jefferson Starfish wrote:
Cucumber wrote:
shepherdess wrote:Drivers used to be payed a supplement, bring it back even a small amount would make driving more appealing, drivers definitely are under more pressure
I remember the Driving Supplement. It was something like £25-30 a week. People used to actually fight to get onto driving duties for the extra money, so it shows it does work as an incentive.
I still get it - £6 per week.
You may find they are trying to Cease all " Grand Farther Rights Allowances "
dohnut
Posts: 658
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:15
Gender: Male

van share covid

Post by dohnut »

NewPostieUK wrote:
Philbag70 wrote:Yup. Exactly that. My 'passenger' finished at 11 today and I still had 2 loops plus parcels. I still finished at 1, so no complaints, but it's not an even playing field at present.
Thats outrageous. Your manager should be shot.

There are offices that are really struggling, people having to take out two days worth, doing overtime they really don't want, and your manager is allowing people to finish 2or 3 hours early.
This makes me sick.

Too f***ing right it isn't a level playing field .
Yep I can count on both my hands how often I have finished on time in the last 6 months, I don't mind the overtime but it is taking its toll this job at the moment, hopefully it may get a little easier in the coming weeks as schools are going back, and then obviously will get mental as we approach Christmas.
Jefferson Starfish
Posts: 905
Joined: 12 Aug 2011, 15:32
Gender: Female
Location: Greendale DO

van share covid

Post by Jefferson Starfish »

wallan wrote:
Jefferson Starfish wrote:
Cucumber wrote:
shepherdess wrote:Drivers used to be payed a supplement, bring it back even a small amount would make driving more appealing, drivers definitely are under more pressure
I remember the Driving Supplement. It was something like £25-30 a week. People used to actually fight to get onto driving duties for the extra money, so it shows it does work as an incentive.
I still get it - £6 per week.
You may find they are trying to Cease all " Grand Farther Rights Allowances "
Yes, they probably are, but I'm sure I'll cope. :cuppa
Bahia Feliz
Posts: 1169
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 21:04
Gender: Male

van share covid

Post by Bahia Feliz »

Jefferson Starfish wrote:
wallan wrote:
Jefferson Starfish wrote:
Cucumber wrote:
shepherdess wrote:Drivers used to be payed a supplement, bring it back even a small amount would make driving more appealing, drivers definitely are under more pressure
I remember the Driving Supplement. It was something like £25-30 a week. People used to actually fight to get onto driving duties for the extra money, so it shows it does work as an incentive.
I still get it - £6 per week.
You may find they are trying to Cease all " Grand Farther Rights Allowances "
Yes, they probably are, but I'm sure I'll cope. :cuppa
They've been 'trying' for years :Applause
grchpo
Posts: 488
Joined: 16 Mar 2019, 13:59
Gender: Male

van share covid

Post by grchpo »

dohnut wrote:
NewPostieUK wrote:
Philbag70 wrote:Yup. Exactly that. My 'passenger' finished at 11 today and I still had 2 loops plus parcels. I still finished at 1, so no complaints, but it's not an even playing field at present.
Thats outrageous. Your manager should be shot.

There are offices that are really struggling, people having to take out two days worth, doing overtime they really don't want, and your manager is allowing people to finish 2or 3 hours early.
This makes me sick.

Too f***ing right it isn't a level playing field .
Yep I can count on both my hands how often I have finished on time in the last 6 months, I don't mind the overtime but it is taking its toll this job at the moment, hopefully it may get a little easier in the coming weeks as schools are going back, and then obviously will get mental as we approach Christmas.
I finish on time every day, manager told us no overtime, anything left bring back. Thought it was a countrywide policy, obviously not but i am not going to work for free
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

van share covid

Post by k979aaa »

grchpo wrote:
dohnut wrote:
NewPostieUK wrote:
Philbag70 wrote:Yup. Exactly that. My 'passenger' finished at 11 today and I still had 2 loops plus parcels. I still finished at 1, so no complaints, but it's not an even playing field at present.
Thats outrageous. Your manager should be shot.

There are offices that are really struggling, people having to take out two days worth, doing overtime they really don't want, and your manager is allowing people to finish 2or 3 hours early.
This makes me sick.

Too f***ing right it isn't a level playing field .
Yep I can count on both my hands how often I have finished on time in the last 6 months, I don't mind the overtime but it is taking its toll this job at the moment, hopefully it may get a little easier in the coming weeks as schools are going back, and then obviously will get mental as we approach Christmas.
I finish on time every day, manager told us no overtime, anything left bring back. Thought it was a countrywide policy, obviously not but i am not going to work for free
I agree with you.
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

van share covid

Post by aiden01 »

NewPostieUK wrote:
Philbag70 wrote:Yup. Exactly that. My 'passenger' finished at 11 today and I still had 2 loops plus parcels. I still finished at 1, so no complaints, but it's not an even playing field at present.
Thats outrageous. Your manager should be shot.

There are offices that are really struggling, people having to take out two days worth, doing overtime they really don't want, and your manager is allowing people to finish 2or 3 hours early.
This makes me sick.

Too f***ing right it isn't a level playing field .
Why are they doing ot they dont want.
worktotime
Posts: 2866
Joined: 14 May 2010, 20:47
Gender: Male

van share covid

Post by worktotime »

Acca Dacca wrote:
worktotime wrote:i am the driver and my p&l partner doesnt drive , but the way we work together is spot on we use the kit , take our full meal breaks and i can count on 1 hand how many parcels i do out the back of the van as we fill the lwts up with what we can get on it and off we pop , when we have finished our delivery my mate walks home and i take the van back and unload etc and put our o/t down . so whats the issue of working together ? , my problem is why you can sit in a car for at least 1 hour to take a driving lesson with a mask on but you cant share a van for a few mins moving from loop 2 loop or travelling from the office out to start :crazy: ,
STOP WITH THE DRIVING LESSON COMPARISON

Thats personal choice
why ? and you can jump in a taxi as well , it doesnt matter if its a personal choice its a fact , so whats the difference ? , i pick my p&l partner up in a morning to get to work , social distancing in our office is a joke , we both handle the mail and parcels and pkts we deliver .
Woody Guthrie
Posts: 5166
Joined: 29 Sep 2018, 20:47
Gender: Male

van share covid

Post by Woody Guthrie »

Cucumber wrote:
Jefferson Starfish wrote:
Cucumber wrote:
shepherdess wrote:Drivers used to be payed a supplement, bring it back even a small amount would make driving more appealing, drivers definitely are under more pressure
I remember the Driving Supplement. It was something like £25-30 a week. People used to actually fight to get onto driving duties for the extra money, so it shows it does work as an incentive.
I still get it - £6 per week.
There was definitely a bigger payment than £6. I remember it as we used to take turns on this driving duty and it was a decent incentive.
The basic driving allowance was £6.
There was an enhanced payment for driving 3.5t high tops and even more for the 600s.

Driving a basic van up to and including the old LDVs/Transits would only attract the sick squid payment.
Only dead fish follow the current
Kesknight
Posts: 98
Joined: 11 Aug 2016, 22:00
Gender: Male

van share covid

Post by Kesknight »

We have shared vans, we just leap frog each other and keep moving the van on. Obviously at the moment we can't travel together, but we try to make it as easy as possible for each other.
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

van share covid

Post by k979aaa »

Woody Guthrie wrote:
Cucumber wrote:
Jefferson Starfish wrote:
Cucumber wrote:
shepherdess wrote:Drivers used to be payed a supplement, bring it back even a small amount would make driving more appealing, drivers definitely are under more pressure
I remember the Driving Supplement. It was something like £25-30 a week. People used to actually fight to get onto driving duties for the extra money, so it shows it does work as an incentive.
I still get it - £6 per week.
There was definitely a bigger payment than £6. I remember it as we used to take turns on this driving duty and it was a decent incentive.
The basic driving allowance was £6.
There was an enhanced payment for driving 3.5t high tops and even more for the 600s.

Driving a basic van up to and including the old LDVs/Transits would only attract the sick squid payment.
3.5t £27.50
7.5t £33.80 could have been more though.