I always ring as a deaf or hard of hearing person may have their "bell" hooked up to a light or flashing device that gives them a visual indicator that there's someone at the door.Joe B wrote:Had a customer have a go today because I knocked and didn't ring the doorbell, just curious, are we under any obligation to ring doorbells? Cheers
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Got told off for knocking a customers door today
-
CharlesSpooner
- Posts: 383
- Joined: 20 Jul 2011, 15:22
- Gender: Male
Got told off for knocking a customers door today
-
Joe B
- Posts: 35
- Joined: 01 Dec 2017, 14:03
- Gender: Male
Got told off for knocking a customers door today
Good point actually, and to be fair I normally ring and knock. This particular lady was just being snobby.CharlesSpooner wrote:I always ring as a deaf or hard of hearing person may have their "bell" hooked up to a light or flashing device that gives them a visual indicator that there's someone at the door.Joe B wrote:Had a customer have a go today because I knocked and didn't ring the doorbell, just curious, are we under any obligation to ring doorbells? Cheers
-
ShropshireLad
- Posts: 100
- Joined: 09 Oct 2010, 17:02
- Gender: Male
Got told off for knocking a customers door today
Once had someone come running down the road waving a card at me and complaining that I hadn't knocked or rung the bell. He was right.........it was a card from Citylink ! 
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72754
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Got told off for knocking a customers door today
Remember those BT A4 mock ones they did a few years ago, I would have about 5 people a day come looking for me when we had them.ShropshireLad wrote:Once had someone come running down the road waving a card at me and complaining that I hadn't knocked or rung the bell. He was right.........it was a card from Citylink !
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
Wullie10
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 718
- Joined: 30 Jul 2017, 12:07
- Gender: Male
- Location: Retired
Got told off for knocking a customers door today
If i suspect someone is in but don't answer i actually video my hand knocking on the door then the parcel in question. I can't wait till the day the manager calls me in with a complaint i didn't knock .
-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16710
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
Got told off for knocking a customers door today
Would you not need permission to video on private property?
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
-
Seymour Buts
- Posts: 1148
- Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
- Gender: Male
Got told off for knocking a customers door today
Somebody chasing after me with one of those revenue slips has also happened a few times. "I'm in, I'm in!"
-
Murdoch
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 572
- Joined: 11 Apr 2018, 16:55
- Gender: Male
Got told off for knocking a customers door today
Ring doorbells are on seriously shakey legal ground, because they don't only film people, they also upload that data to their amazon servers, and then the data is processed. So for all you know, your image is now stored on an amazon database, possibly in the US, and all sorts of facial recognition algortitms could be run on it.clashcityrocker wrote:I think the fact you have walked on to their property gives them implied permission.mattycash wrote:I completely ignore these new "ONE" video doorbells, if you want to film me ask my permission.
A bit like CCTV at train stations etc.
Not sure" implied permission" would be enough to justify that.
There is a significant lack of consent involved with their use, I'd expect massive EU fines to be coming their way tbh.
-
postslippete
- Posts: 4198
- Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
- Gender: Male
Got told off for knocking a customers door today
It amazes me how often people open the door once the red slip gets posted through. Ironically when I'm at the end of a very long street and the guy just won't stop shouting.
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
-
twoloops
- Posts: 2039
- Joined: 24 May 2017, 20:52
- Gender: Male
- Location: Sheffield
Got told off for knocking a customers door today
I do have to give this student house a good few bashes with my PDA to get them up, usually the neighbours come out 1st, today when they eventually opened the door he said “Didn’t think you delivered on a Sunday?” It’s Monday mate 
-
greengiant
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1268
- Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
- Gender: Male
Got told off for knocking a customers door today
I once got told off for ringing a doorbell too loudly!
-
jmdnnlln2911
- Posts: 3
- Joined: 18 May 2020, 09:08
- Gender: Male
Re: Got told off for knocking a customers door today
I always wait the allotted time and knock again.. Don't you find it odd that as soon as you knock a second time the door opens almost immediately? it's as if they stand behind the door waiting for that second rap on the door...lala wrote:I always knock and ring (if they have a bell). Still get the odd person saying I never tried!
-
PostmanBitesDog
- Posts: 1428
- Joined: 17 Feb 2019, 15:46
- Gender: Male
Got told off for knocking a customers door today
Did it explode?greengiant wrote:I once got told off for ringing a doorbell too loudly!
-
Mr Rush
- Posts: 3357
- Joined: 05 Aug 2011, 14:27
- Gender: Male
Re: Got told off for knocking a customers door today
Had a woman back in April go on a rant about how I was handing over her packets to neighbours and strangers on the street. Decidedly not me at the time she alleged to have witnessed this. Rather than admitting to shooting her mouth on a case of mistaken identity, she told me to consider this a warning before she goes to the police. Thumbs up for your postie, indeed.castra wrote:Don't piss off the postie because it WILL come back to bite you in the arse. You WILL eventually get chance at payback.
After that I coincidentally didn't have any space for her packets in my bag for the next 3 months and prioritised those for the rest of the street.
The machine stops.
-
sorefeet17
- Posts: 299
- Joined: 11 May 2015, 17:10
- Gender: Male
Got told off for knocking a customers door today
I was ringing the bell at a small care home I have on my route, I rang about 4 times, no answer which I thought was unusual as its a 24 hour manned home, so I looked though the lounge window and a young lad was sitting on sofa , so I banged on glass with pda and he answered the door and I said "didn't you hear the bell?" he said "oh I wondered what that noise was" 