ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Got told off for knocking a customers door today

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
CharlesSpooner
Posts: 383
Joined: 20 Jul 2011, 15:22
Gender: Male

Got told off for knocking a customers door today

Post by CharlesSpooner »

Joe B wrote:Had a customer have a go today because I knocked and didn't ring the doorbell, just curious, are we under any obligation to ring doorbells? Cheers
I always ring as a deaf or hard of hearing person may have their "bell" hooked up to a light or flashing device that gives them a visual indicator that there's someone at the door.
Joe B
Posts: 35
Joined: 01 Dec 2017, 14:03
Gender: Male

Got told off for knocking a customers door today

Post by Joe B »

CharlesSpooner wrote:
Joe B wrote:Had a customer have a go today because I knocked and didn't ring the doorbell, just curious, are we under any obligation to ring doorbells? Cheers
I always ring as a deaf or hard of hearing person may have their "bell" hooked up to a light or flashing device that gives them a visual indicator that there's someone at the door.
Good point actually, and to be fair I normally ring and knock. This particular lady was just being snobby.
ShropshireLad
Posts: 100
Joined: 09 Oct 2010, 17:02
Gender: Male

Got told off for knocking a customers door today

Post by ShropshireLad »

Once had someone come running down the road waving a card at me and complaining that I hadn't knocked or rung the bell. He was right.........it was a card from Citylink ! :Very Happy
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72754
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Got told off for knocking a customers door today

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

ShropshireLad wrote:Once had someone come running down the road waving a card at me and complaining that I hadn't knocked or rung the bell. He was right.........it was a card from Citylink ! :Very Happy
Remember those BT A4 mock ones they did a few years ago, I would have about 5 people a day come looking for me when we had them. :arrrghhh :arrrghhh
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Wullie10
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 718
Joined: 30 Jul 2017, 12:07
Gender: Male
Location: Retired

Got told off for knocking a customers door today

Post by Wullie10 »

If i suspect someone is in but don't answer i actually video my hand knocking on the door then the parcel in question. I can't wait till the day the manager calls me in with a complaint i didn't knock .
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16710
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Got told off for knocking a customers door today

Post by clashcityrocker »

Would you not need permission to video on private property?
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

Got told off for knocking a customers door today

Post by Seymour Buts »

Somebody chasing after me with one of those revenue slips has also happened a few times. "I'm in, I'm in!"
Murdoch
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 572
Joined: 11 Apr 2018, 16:55
Gender: Male

Got told off for knocking a customers door today

Post by Murdoch »

clashcityrocker wrote:
mattycash wrote:I completely ignore these new "ONE" video doorbells, if you want to film me ask my permission.
I think the fact you have walked on to their property gives them implied permission.
A bit like CCTV at train stations etc.
Ring doorbells are on seriously shakey legal ground, because they don't only film people, they also upload that data to their amazon servers, and then the data is processed. So for all you know, your image is now stored on an amazon database, possibly in the US, and all sorts of facial recognition algortitms could be run on it.

Not sure" implied permission" would be enough to justify that.

There is a significant lack of consent involved with their use, I'd expect massive EU fines to be coming their way tbh.
postslippete
Posts: 4198
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

Got told off for knocking a customers door today

Post by postslippete »

It amazes me how often people open the door once the red slip gets posted through. Ironically when I'm at the end of a very long street and the guy just won't stop shouting.
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
twoloops
Posts: 2039
Joined: 24 May 2017, 20:52
Gender: Male
Location: Sheffield

Got told off for knocking a customers door today

Post by twoloops »

I do have to give this student house a good few bashes with my PDA to get them up, usually the neighbours come out 1st, today when they eventually opened the door he said “Didn’t think you delivered on a Sunday?” It’s Monday mate :crazy:
greengiant
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1268
Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
Gender: Male

Got told off for knocking a customers door today

Post by greengiant »

I once got told off for ringing a doorbell too loudly!
jmdnnlln2911
Posts: 3
Joined: 18 May 2020, 09:08
Gender: Male

Re: Got told off for knocking a customers door today

Post by jmdnnlln2911 »

lala wrote:I always knock and ring (if they have a bell). Still get the odd person saying I never tried!
I always wait the allotted time and knock again.. Don't you find it odd that as soon as you knock a second time the door opens almost immediately? it's as if they stand behind the door waiting for that second rap on the door...
PostmanBitesDog
Posts: 1428
Joined: 17 Feb 2019, 15:46
Gender: Male

Got told off for knocking a customers door today

Post by PostmanBitesDog »

greengiant wrote:I once got told off for ringing a doorbell too loudly!
Did it explode? :Very Happy

Mr Rush
Posts: 3357
Joined: 05 Aug 2011, 14:27
Gender: Male

Re: Got told off for knocking a customers door today

Post by Mr Rush »

castra wrote:Don't piss off the postie because it WILL come back to bite you in the arse. You WILL eventually get chance at payback. :thumbup
Had a woman back in April go on a rant about how I was handing over her packets to neighbours and strangers on the street. Decidedly not me at the time she alleged to have witnessed this. Rather than admitting to shooting her mouth on a case of mistaken identity, she told me to consider this a warning before she goes to the police. Thumbs up for your postie, indeed.

After that I coincidentally didn't have any space for her packets in my bag for the next 3 months and prioritised those for the rest of the street. :whistle
The machine stops.
sorefeet17
Posts: 299
Joined: 11 May 2015, 17:10
Gender: Male

Got told off for knocking a customers door today

Post by sorefeet17 »

I was ringing the bell at a small care home I have on my route, I rang about 4 times, no answer which I thought was unusual as its a 24 hour manned home, so I looked though the lounge window and a young lad was sitting on sofa , so I banged on glass with pda and he answered the door and I said "didn't you hear the bell?" he said "oh I wondered what that noise was" :arrrghhh