ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Lost PDA

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Janet Brum
Posts: 886
Joined: 28 Sep 2016, 19:52
Gender: Female

Lost PDA

Post by Janet Brum »

I keep mine in my coat`s pocket or trousers pocket in the summer. It`s not that bad, I got used.
Never lost one.
afcdibby
PARCELFORCE
Posts: 89
Joined: 26 Mar 2015, 20:58
Gender: Male

Lost PDA

Post by afcdibby »

p5aul789 wrote:
HA1 wrote:If I read this right. You left it a day before you reported it why?
Finished around 4pm yesterday, and was off today. So reported it this morning.
Am I missing something? That means you went back to depot minus the PDA. When you hand everything in, you are minus a bit of important kit. P.S. I work for Parcelforce and maybe things are different for you guys.
HA1
Posts: 75
Joined: 28 Mar 2020, 16:15
Gender: Male

Lost PDA

Post by HA1 »

afcdibby wrote:
p5aul789 wrote:
HA1 wrote:If I read this right. You left it a day before you reported it why?
Finished around 4pm yesterday, and was off today. So reported it this morning.
Am I missing something? That means you went back to depot minus the PDA. When you hand everything in, you are minus a bit of important kit. P.S. I work for Parcelforce and maybe things are different for you guys.
So you must of known you lost it whilst out on delivery then, Did you go back over the ground, did you try to contact the office. Sounds like you did know whilst on delivery and you could of done more to find it. its your second time strange that
minesastella2013
Posts: 34
Joined: 08 Nov 2013, 14:51
Gender: Male

Lost PDA

Post by minesastella2013 »

afcdibby wrote:
p5aul789 wrote:
HA1 wrote:If I read this right. You left it a day before you reported it why?
Finished around 4pm yesterday, and was off today. So reported it this morning.
Am I missing something? That means you went back to depot minus the PDA. When you hand everything in, you are minus a bit of important kit. P.S. I work for Parcelforce and maybe things are different for you guys.
I was thinking the same, I am on delivery, I would know within 20 minutes of losing it, I'm not sure how that could happen...unless it was right near the end of the delivery, even then,Ihave to scan for my collection box as soon as I get back to the office.
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Lost PDA

Post by k979aaa »

Is the OP feeling all right he could have had a dizzy spell through the virus he should think long and hard on here about the consequences but people who are ill make bad decisions I hope the OP is OK and can make better decisions in future!
ssdd
Posts: 2053
Joined: 06 Sep 2018, 22:39
Gender: Male

Lost PDA

Post by ssdd »

As Janet says, I keep mine in my trouser/shorts pocket. Storm jacket pocket if exceptionally rainy.
Don't find it cumbersome, and is a matter of habit to replace back there. Lift/Scan/Sign/Replace.
A couple of times I have placed the PDA on another surface and almost forgot to lift again. Only negative I've found with keeping in pockets is that they wear though quicker!
Mick100
Posts: 275
Joined: 04 Feb 2016, 10:00
Gender: Male

Lost PDA

Post by Mick100 »

I use the shoulder strap you soon get use to it i was forever losing mine leaving on the van roof was a favourite place
da'bunny
Posts: 239
Joined: 08 May 2007, 20:47

Lost PDA

Post by da'bunny »

What is this shoulder strap you are all talking about? We dont have them at our office! Sounds like it could actually be usefull!
Just say NO ....to the new agreement.
yellowbelly
Posts: 3728
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
Gender: Male

Lost PDA

Post by yellowbelly »

da'bunny wrote:What is this shoulder strap you are all talking about? We dont have them at our office! Sounds like it could actually be usefull!
See this old thread (picture there as well):

https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communi ... =1&t=82830" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can still get them, get your management/DOM support to order them, they have to be ordered against a PDA number I think.
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Lost PDA

Post by k979aaa »

Mick100 wrote:I use the shoulder strap you soon get use to it i was forever losing mine leaving on the van roof was a favourite place
Box of specials on the roof comes to mind as did a bundle of letters!
PostmanBitesDog
Posts: 1428
Joined: 17 Feb 2019, 15:46
Gender: Male

Lost PDA

Post by PostmanBitesDog »

p5aul789 wrote:I'll have to find a way to tie it to my wrist.
This raises the question about the strap that's attached to the back of the PDA. You know, the one with the stylus tied to it? Was your PDA equipped with the strap or did it not have one? I ask this because many posties carry their PDA on their wrist or arm using the attached strap. Others like myself prefer the belt holster and remove the PDA strap and stylus by unclipping it from the battery slot which allows the PDA to fit into the holster easier. The stylus can be carried separately or customers can use their finger, which most don't mind doing. (But not during this COVID-19 crisis of course; we do the signing ourselves at the moment.)
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Lost PDA

Post by k979aaa »

PostmanBitesDog wrote:
p5aul789 wrote:I'll have to find a way to tie it to my wrist.
This raises the question about the strap that's attached to the back of the PDA. You know, the one with the stylus tied to it? Was your PDA equipped with the strap or did it not have one? I ask this because many posties carry their PDA on their wrist or arm using the attached strap. Others like myself prefer the belt holster and remove the PDA strap and stylus by unclipping it from the battery slot which allows the PDA to fit into the holster easier. The stylus can be carried separately or customers can use their finger, which most don't mind doing. (But not during this COVID-19 crisis of course; we do the signing ourselves at the moment.)
Did it have a strap on or not for that is the question for whether it has one on is better for all mankind for is it better with one off and would you admit if you had a strap on?
PostmanBitesDog
Posts: 1428
Joined: 17 Feb 2019, 15:46
Gender: Male

Lost PDA

Post by PostmanBitesDog »

k979aaa wrote:
PostmanBitesDog wrote:
p5aul789 wrote:I'll have to find a way to tie it to my wrist.
This raises the question about the strap
Did it have a strap on or not for that is the question for whether it has one on is better for all mankind for is it better with one off and would you admit if you had a strap on?
Mine comes with a whip. And I cry out, "A PDA! A PDA! My kingdom for a PDA!". :cool (The fault, dear posties, lies not within the lost PDA, but in ourselves, that we are underlings.)
PostmanBitesDog
Posts: 1428
Joined: 17 Feb 2019, 15:46
Gender: Male

Lost PDA

Post by PostmanBitesDog »

ssdd wrote:I keep mine in my trouser/shorts pocket
And then the female customers ask, "Is that a PDA in your trouser pocket or are you just happy to see me?" :left:

(Yeah, yeah, okay. Grabbing my coat.) :neutral:
max49
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 122
Joined: 31 Dec 2010, 20:58
Gender: Female

Lost PDA

Post by max49 »

Your manager should be able to use the information from the GPS tracking and pinpoint where the PDA stopped moving. Then with that information you can return to that place and see if you can find it. I use the strap from the holster which I thread through the hand strap and then carry it over my shoulder (like a bag). I don't use the holster because it is timecomsuming putting it into the holster, also the device then becomes too wide for my hand to operate it.I hope this helps