ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Quiet christmas

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
2pints
Posts: 286
Joined: 28 Feb 2013, 16:46
Gender: Male

Quiet christmas

Post by 2pints »

Love this xmas.All our oversized parcels get taken from us and lots of overtime.Come in 2 hours early on i.p.s and go over in afternoon about an hour daily.Very chilled out and relaxed while earning extra money.Also lots of election rubbish to deliver and make even more easy money.

Moral in our office is good,decent managers who most people like,very little cutting off going on 90% of people show good will and work over.
ArthurPewty
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 190
Joined: 21 Dec 2016, 17:15
Gender: Male

Quiet christmas

Post by ArthurPewty »

We generally try to finish as early as possible on Xmas Eve but 1200 finish is probably pushing it. I would say probably closer to 1400. But could be later than that.[/quote]

Last year I finished at 10:15 Xmas Eve, there was next to no mail, much less than on a quiet Tuesday even.
Will probably be more mail this year, but I'll be disappointed if I'm not home with a glass of port on the go by 11
Rommagic
Posts: 1518
Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 16:52

Quiet christmas

Post by Rommagic »

My manager says 8,000 less items tomorrow compared to last Wednesday
ssdd
Posts: 2053
Joined: 06 Sep 2018, 22:39
Gender: Male

Quiet christmas

Post by ssdd »

ArthurPewty wrote: Will probably be more mail this year, but I'll be disappointed if I'm not home with a glass of port on the go by 11
Yeah, stuff the guys on LATs eh? When they came into our office last year, I volunteered to do it, because we were told if we didn't then another office may become the hub, and we may miss out on the extra work.

I can't remember my exact finishing time on Christmas Eve last year, but I think it was around 5pm. Supposed to be 7.30pm, but obviously it was a bit quieter.

Reminds me of the bad old days of another DOM we had. I was quite new to the Company and being naive and wanting to impress, worked till 7.30pm. I had been in from 7am doing parcels all day and they still weren't clear. Nobody else was interested. Office politics. I was utterly shattered by the end of it, running around like a blue arsed fly.

A lot has changed since then, but I'll be working to my time (3pm), assuming the workload is there (which I expect it will be), though I won't be killing myself to get round quicker. Slow and steady wins the race.
ssdd
Posts: 2053
Joined: 06 Sep 2018, 22:39
Gender: Male

Quiet christmas

Post by ssdd »

Rommagic wrote:My manager says 8,000 less items tomorrow compared to last Wednesday
You always believe your manager Ron?
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Quiet christmas

Post by Postie45 »

2pints wrote:
Moral in our office is good,decent managers who most people like,very little cutting off going on 90% of people show good will and work over.
thats great and all and glad youre happy to do it, but youre showing goodwill to a company who stabbed us in the back over our balloted strike. Earning extra money is one thing, good for you, but i wouldnt do it for "goodwills" sake.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Quiet christmas

Post by Dorset Plodder »

My View is there's no such thing as "Good Will" anymore :speak to the hand We all work for a Multi-National PRIVATELY Owned Business. It's not some Small Family Owned Firm that's looked after you,and your Family, through Thick and Thin. :no no

IF they choose, and they could get away with it, they'd would make us all Redundant at the drop of a Shareholders Dividend. :no no The Deal is: You provide Work ... I do that Work .... You Pay me.... End of Story. :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
norris9
Posts: 2696
Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
Gender: Female

Quiet christmas

Post by norris9 »

Dorset Plodder wrote:My View is there's no such thing as "Good Will" anymore :speak to the hand We all work for a Multi-National PRIVATELY Owned Business. It's not some Small Family Owned Firm that's looked after you,and your Family, through Thick and Thin. :no no

IF they choose, and they could get away with it, they'd would make us all Redundant at the drop of a Shareholders Dividend. :no no The Deal is: You provide Work ... I do that Work .... You Pay me.... End of Story. :cuppa
In my office it seems it's always a tit-for-tat between management and posties.....

managers whine, then when posties see an opportunity to whine - they whine, then a manager whines, then posties whine, then managers whine, then posties whine......

it's all because it starts with managers being unreasonable or screwing you over, so then the postie will avoid doing any favours for that manager and from there it carries on forever.
norris9
Posts: 2696
Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
Gender: Female

Quiet christmas

Post by norris9 »

ArthurPewty wrote:Last year I finished at 10:15 Xmas Eve, there was next to no mail, much less than on a quiet Tuesday even.
Will probably be more mail this year, but I'll be disappointed if I'm not home with a glass of port on the go by 11
Christmas Eve is on a Tuesday this year so maybe will be pretty light.
ssdd
Posts: 2053
Joined: 06 Sep 2018, 22:39
Gender: Male

Quiet christmas

Post by ssdd »

Chriiistmas time....mistletoe and whine...
ssdd
Posts: 2053
Joined: 06 Sep 2018, 22:39
Gender: Male

Quiet christmas

Post by ssdd »

Bosses singing corporate rhyme
Grumpyoldmailman
Posts: 810
Joined: 24 Nov 2019, 22:29
Gender: Male

Quiet christmas

Post by Grumpyoldmailman »

With lapsing on the fire.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12196
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Quiet christmas

Post by SpacePhoenix »

norris9 wrote:
ArthurPewty wrote:Last year I finished at 10:15 Xmas Eve, there was next to no mail, much less than on a quiet Tuesday even.
Will probably be more mail this year, but I'll be disappointed if I'm not home with a glass of port on the go by 11
Christmas Eve is on a Tuesday this year so maybe will be pretty light.
SDs will be very heavy
ssdd
Posts: 2053
Joined: 06 Sep 2018, 22:39
Gender: Male

Quiet christmas

Post by ssdd »

Grumpyoldmailman wrote:With lapsing on the fire.
Christmas tips on the tree...
citypostie
Posts: 895
Joined: 08 Apr 2009, 19:42
Gender: Male

Quiet christmas

Post by citypostie »

SpacePhoenix wrote:
norris9 wrote:
ArthurPewty wrote:Last year I finished at 10:15 Xmas Eve, there was next to no mail, much less than on a quiet Tuesday even.
Will probably be more mail this year, but I'll be disappointed if I'm not home with a glass of port on the go by 11
Christmas Eve is on a Tuesday this year so maybe will be pretty light.
SDs will be very heavy
I'm on leave but if I wasn't I'd be trying to card as many of them as possible to teach them to order earlier and not leave it to the last minute. Very quiet knocks then cqrd wrote/posted and post the next houses as quick as possible to get out of view