ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Yellow dot

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
daveyeff
Posts: 4699
Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
Gender: Male

Yellow dot

Post by daveyeff »

Redvannon wrote:
SpacePhoenix wrote: They can see if you go off-route. I suspect that with the new thing that's been brought in, it might flag up automatically when someone goes off-route
I suspect you're right, and it's in real time. I got questioned about if I'd been somewhere just off route yesterday (which the manager obviously knew I had) which in my defence I spent about 10 mins at if that and I was getting food.

Either that or I got reported by a fellow postie or woe betide a manager saw me. Wound me right up I have to admit.
should have said you had gone forra shite :roll: my driver does it regular if he's caught short. buggers off to tescos (which is off route) for a crap.
Brandy
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 729
Joined: 12 Sep 2011, 21:03
Gender: Female

Yellow dot

Post by Brandy »

daveyeff wrote:
Redvannon wrote:
SpacePhoenix wrote: They can see if you go off-route. I suspect that with the new thing that's been brought in, it might flag up automatically when someone goes off-route
I suspect you're right, and it's in real time. I got questioned about if I'd been somewhere just off route yesterday (which the manager obviously knew I had) which in my defence I spent about 10 mins at if that and I was getting food.

Either that or I got reported by a fellow postie or woe betide a manager saw me. Wound me right up I have to admit.
should have said you had gone forra shite :roll: my driver does it regular if he's caught short. buggers off to tescos (which is off route) for a crap.
Better than going behind a bush I suppose :shock:
daveyeff
Posts: 4699
Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
Gender: Male

Yellow dot

Post by daveyeff »

and wiping your arse on a payslip :Very Happy
daveyeff
Posts: 4699
Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
Gender: Male

Yellow dot

Post by daveyeff »

been there, done it : :oops: :oops:
bmccoll
Posts: 190
Joined: 21 Sep 2015, 22:19
Gender: Male

Yellow dot

Post by bmccoll »

claretandblue wrote:Don't carry mine with me, never been questioned about it too.
Me neither. If I don't have anything to scan on that loop, the PDA is left behind. I have enough to carry without that contraption being in the way.
daveyeff
Posts: 4699
Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
Gender: Male

Yellow dot

Post by daveyeff »

bmccoll wrote:
claretandblue wrote:Don't carry mine with me, never been questioned about it too.
Me neither. If I don't have anything to scan on that loop, the PDA is left behind. I have enough to carry without that contraption being in the way.
how can you know if you don't have a scannable item in your bundled up loop? its not just packets. you could have a recorded 'signed for' letter or even some normal letters or small items in the bundle with a 2d barcode on. we've been told off management that we must have our PDAs on us at ALL times. mine goes on me wrist.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16711
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Yellow dot

Post by clashcityrocker »

daveyeff wrote:been there, done it : :oops: :oops:
Your own payslip or someone else's?
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
daveyeff
Posts: 4699
Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
Gender: Male

Yellow dot

Post by daveyeff »

:Very Happy me own.....the old style ones though. i had a few in me pocket. mind that's all they were good for then!! :whistle
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

Yellow dot

Post by NewPostieUK »

NorthernPostman wrote:
NewPostieUK wrote:
claretandblue wrote:Don't carry mine with me, never been questioned about it too.
Same here. Mine is where it's meant to be most of the time - in it's dock.
SpacePhoenix wrote:With the amount of packets that have got barcodes on them now, I find it hard to believe that there are some loops with nothing to scan
Depends what you call a loop. I might have three houses in a row with no packets. I'll leave the PDA in it's dock, and go up three drives then back to the van. Long drives and/or a packet that doesn't need scanning mean this could take 5 mins +

I don't understand how people can not carry their PDA with them. What do you do if your PDA is "in it's dock" and you get to a recorded letter in your loop?
I stop the van. I pick out all the mail for the next 3 or 4 houses or whatever, if there's a Signed For, I take the PDA with me.
eastie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2234
Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
Gender: Male

Yellow dot

Post by eastie »

some delivery offices don't have chargers in the van . didn't have them in our vans to save money on the budget apparantly
Bahia Feliz
Posts: 1169
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 21:04
Gender: Male

Yellow dot

Post by Bahia Feliz »

eastie wrote:some delivery offices don't have chargers in the van . didn't have them in our vans to save money on the budget apparantly
They're not chargers in the van,they are 'docks' to put the pda in.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12196
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Yellow dot

Post by SpacePhoenix »

I wonder how long it'll be before RM insist on delivery staff having the PDA on them at all times from when they leave the depot to when they arrive back at the depot, and conduct code anyone who doesn't.
Alexei
Posts: 222
Joined: 23 Jul 2017, 18:01
Gender: Male

Yellow dot

Post by Alexei »

SpacePhoenix wrote:I wonder how long it'll be before RM insist on delivery staff having the PDA on them at all times from when they leave the depot to when they arrive back at the depot, and conduct code anyone who doesn't.
The first part has been happening in our office for a while now, and the management have allocated us all holsters for them. On the second part, well I guess that could come soon, depending on how industrial relations go in the next few years.
daveyeff
Posts: 4699
Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
Gender: Male

Yellow dot

Post by daveyeff »

SpacePhoenix wrote:I wonder how long it'll be before RM insist on delivery staff having the PDA on them at all times from when they leave the depot to when they arrive back at the depot, and conduct code anyone who doesn't.
been in ours for a couple of years. we don't have an argument to not carry them.
themailman
Posts: 399
Joined: 09 Jun 2010, 21:05
Gender: Male

Yellow dot

Post by themailman »

There is no reason not to carry your PDA on you at all times. Look at the size of it!