ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Customers asking (insisting) you sign for things?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

Customers asking (insisting) you sign for things?

Post by Seymour Buts »

I have to say if they're really old and clearly can't sign, I'll do it for them. Ultimately if somebody is there but they can't physically do it for themselves I think that's very different thing from somebody taking it upon themselves to sign for something. The dns thing is a good idea though to add that bit of extra cover.
Trail
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 162
Joined: 01 Dec 2016, 19:54
Gender: Male

Customers asking (insisting) you sign for things?

Post by Trail »

itinerant wrote:
Trail wrote:When I worked for Royal Mail I used to sign everything I could get through the box and then put obscure Mexican boxers' names for the name.

I'd only sign for specials if I knew the customer would allow me.

I never got into trouble once.

I always tell my postman to sign for anything. It's all about knowing your customers.
your customer is the person sending the parcel, not the person you are delivering to! :arrrghhh
I knew what I meant!!!!
Tinoblade
Posts: 252
Joined: 13 Jan 2018, 19:51
Gender: Male

Customers asking (insisting) you sign for things?

Post by Tinoblade »

itinerant wrote:
Trail wrote:When I worked for Royal Mail I used to sign everything I could get through the box and then put obscure Mexican boxers' names for the name.

I'd only sign for specials if I knew the customer would allow me.

I never got into trouble once.

I always tell my postman to sign for anything. It's all about knowing your customers.
your customer is the person sending the parcel, not the person you are delivering to! :arrrghhh
While I get this statement is it not also true that the recipient has paid for the shipping?
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12196
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Customers asking (insisting) you sign for things?

Post by SpacePhoenix »

Tinoblade wrote:
itinerant wrote:
Trail wrote:When I worked for Royal Mail I used to sign everything I could get through the box and then put obscure Mexican boxers' names for the name.

I'd only sign for specials if I knew the customer would allow me.

I never got into trouble once.

I always tell my postman to sign for anything. It's all about knowing your customers.
your customer is the person sending the parcel, not the person you are delivering to! :arrrghhh
While I get this statement is it not also true that the recipient has paid for the shipping?
The recipient is the customer of the person/company sending the item
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72759
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Customers asking (insisting) you sign for things?

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Tinoblade wrote:
itinerant wrote:
Trail wrote:When I worked for Royal Mail I used to sign everything I could get through the box and then put obscure Mexican boxers' names for the name.

I'd only sign for specials if I knew the customer would allow me.

I never got into trouble once.

I always tell my postman to sign for anything. It's all about knowing your customers.
your customer is the person sending the parcel, not the person you are delivering to! :arrrghhh
While I get this statement is it not also true that the recipient has paid for the shipping?
Yes, but they haven't paid Royal Mail, they paid the sender.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
DGH
Posts: 710
Joined: 13 Dec 2014, 18:04
Gender: Male
Location: Neither here nor there

Customers asking (insisting) you sign for things?

Post by DGH »

postietom wrote:I have to say if they're really old and clearly can't sign, I'll do it for them. Ultimately if somebody is there but they can't physically do it for themselves I think that's very different thing from somebody taking it upon themselves to sign for something. The dns thing is a good idea though to add that bit of extra cover.
You are allowed to sign on their behalf if someone is physically incapable. I had to do it once for someone who was blind and several times for a person whose hands couldn't grip the pen (this in pre-PDA days, but it'd have been the same now)
deltaforce
Posts: 778
Joined: 01 Jan 2009, 15:29
Gender: Male

Customers asking (insisting) you sign for things?

Post by deltaforce »

DGH wrote:
postietom wrote:I have to say if they're really old and clearly can't sign, I'll do it for them. Ultimately if somebody is there but they can't physically do it for themselves I think that's very different thing from somebody taking it upon themselves to sign for something. The dns thing is a good idea though to add that bit of extra cover.
You are allowed to sign on their behalf if someone is physically incapable. I had to do it once for someone who was blind and several times for a person whose hands couldn't grip the pen (this in pre-PDA days, but it'd have been the same now)
Don’t sign anything.. just print on pda unable to sign or did not sign.
yellowbelly
Posts: 3730
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
Gender: Male

Customers asking (insisting) you sign for things?

Post by yellowbelly »

DGH wrote:
postietom wrote:I have to say if they're really old and clearly can't sign, I'll do it for them. Ultimately if somebody is there but they can't physically do it for themselves I think that's very different thing from somebody taking it upon themselves to sign for something. The dns thing is a good idea though to add that bit of extra cover.
You are allowed to sign on their behalf if someone is physically incapable. I had to do it once for someone who was blind and several times for a person whose hands couldn't grip the pen (this in pre-PDA days, but it'd have been the same now)
In the situations you've described above, as far as I am aware the procedure (as detailed in the PDA User Guide
for the old style PDA) is to enter 'MAR' - Marked as received in the signature box (as well as their 'mark'), where the recipient is not able to sign
properly but can make a mark in the signature box or 'DWS' - Delivered without signature - where the customer is unable to make a mark or signature.

I would still MAR/DWS as this would give any subsequent investigation a pointer that the recipient was unable to sign for an item due to a disability.
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Customers asking (insisting) you sign for things?

Post by arnold cheshire »

Why listen to a customer this stopped over 10 years ago
nickbsmooth
Posts: 279
Joined: 25 Jan 2013, 14:19
Gender: Male
Location: South East

Customers asking (insisting) you sign for things?

Post by nickbsmooth »

I've been asked to sign for stuff with certain customers that are severely handicapped. So have very limited use of hands. I make an exception for disabled people but this it's very rare I need to do this.
RAMBLER99
Posts: 4
Joined: 07 Jan 2019, 17:29
Gender: Male

Customers asking (insisting) you sign for things?

Post by RAMBLER99 »

danterossetti wrote:I deal with this by explaining to the customer that I am not allowed to sign for them.
Just say NO.
RAMBLER99
Posts: 4
Joined: 07 Jan 2019, 17:29
Gender: Male

Customers asking (insisting) you sign for things?

Post by RAMBLER99 »

Natagora wrote:If it’s an agreement between customer and postman, and the postman is 100% sure that the item is going to the correct address, then fine, just post it through. Being on a round for some time gives you the chance to strike up a bond with customers, and the last thing they want when they get home is a slip telling them to go to the delivery office to collect something that would have easily gone through the letterbox. I’ve been on my currrent round for over two years now, and post specials and recorded stuff literally every day. The customers appreciate me doing this! If it’s someone I don’t know then obviously play it safe and leave a card but that’s very rare.
Don't do it. Putting your job at risk for nowt.
MrBrinks89
Posts: 24
Joined: 17 May 2018, 18:45
Gender: Male

Customers asking (insisting) you sign for things?

Post by MrBrinks89 »

I wouldn't. I'm the one that gets bollocked for it at the end of the day if something goes wrong I.e. if I misdelivered it or if there was a desrepancy with the item.
TheTrolleyMan
Posts: 776
Joined: 13 Mar 2017, 15:39
Gender: Male

Customers asking (insisting) you sign for things?

Post by TheTrolleyMan »

It's fraud , the sender wants a customers signature not the postie faking their signature . How many times have posties done customers favours and then been hung out to dry when it all goes wrong ?
TheTrolleyMan
Posts: 776
Joined: 13 Mar 2017, 15:39
Gender: Male

Customers asking (insisting) you sign for things?

Post by TheTrolleyMan »

nickbsmooth wrote:I've been asked to sign for stuff with certain customers that are severely handicapped. So have very limited use of hands. I make an exception for disabled people but this it's very rare I need to do this.
I'll do a favour like that if the customer is in but most customers want you to sign and post items while their out or at work