ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Customers asking (insisting) you sign for things?
-
Seymour Buts
- Posts: 1148
- Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
- Gender: Male
Customers asking (insisting) you sign for things?
I have to say if they're really old and clearly can't sign, I'll do it for them. Ultimately if somebody is there but they can't physically do it for themselves I think that's very different thing from somebody taking it upon themselves to sign for something. The dns thing is a good idea though to add that bit of extra cover.
-
Trail
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 162
- Joined: 01 Dec 2016, 19:54
- Gender: Male
Customers asking (insisting) you sign for things?
I knew what I meant!!!!itinerant wrote:your customer is the person sending the parcel, not the person you are delivering to!Trail wrote:When I worked for Royal Mail I used to sign everything I could get through the box and then put obscure Mexican boxers' names for the name.
I'd only sign for specials if I knew the customer would allow me.
I never got into trouble once.
I always tell my postman to sign for anything. It's all about knowing your customers.
-
Tinoblade
- Posts: 252
- Joined: 13 Jan 2018, 19:51
- Gender: Male
Customers asking (insisting) you sign for things?
While I get this statement is it not also true that the recipient has paid for the shipping?itinerant wrote:your customer is the person sending the parcel, not the person you are delivering to!Trail wrote:When I worked for Royal Mail I used to sign everything I could get through the box and then put obscure Mexican boxers' names for the name.
I'd only sign for specials if I knew the customer would allow me.
I never got into trouble once.
I always tell my postman to sign for anything. It's all about knowing your customers.
-
SpacePhoenix
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 12196
- Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
- Gender: Male
Customers asking (insisting) you sign for things?
The recipient is the customer of the person/company sending the itemTinoblade wrote:While I get this statement is it not also true that the recipient has paid for the shipping?itinerant wrote:your customer is the person sending the parcel, not the person you are delivering to!Trail wrote:When I worked for Royal Mail I used to sign everything I could get through the box and then put obscure Mexican boxers' names for the name.
I'd only sign for specials if I knew the customer would allow me.
I never got into trouble once.
I always tell my postman to sign for anything. It's all about knowing your customers.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72759
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Customers asking (insisting) you sign for things?
Yes, but they haven't paid Royal Mail, they paid the sender.Tinoblade wrote:While I get this statement is it not also true that the recipient has paid for the shipping?itinerant wrote:your customer is the person sending the parcel, not the person you are delivering to!Trail wrote:When I worked for Royal Mail I used to sign everything I could get through the box and then put obscure Mexican boxers' names for the name.
I'd only sign for specials if I knew the customer would allow me.
I never got into trouble once.
I always tell my postman to sign for anything. It's all about knowing your customers.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
DGH
- Posts: 710
- Joined: 13 Dec 2014, 18:04
- Gender: Male
- Location: Neither here nor there
Customers asking (insisting) you sign for things?
You are allowed to sign on their behalf if someone is physically incapable. I had to do it once for someone who was blind and several times for a person whose hands couldn't grip the pen (this in pre-PDA days, but it'd have been the same now)postietom wrote:I have to say if they're really old and clearly can't sign, I'll do it for them. Ultimately if somebody is there but they can't physically do it for themselves I think that's very different thing from somebody taking it upon themselves to sign for something. The dns thing is a good idea though to add that bit of extra cover.
-
deltaforce
- Posts: 778
- Joined: 01 Jan 2009, 15:29
- Gender: Male
Customers asking (insisting) you sign for things?
Don’t sign anything.. just print on pda unable to sign or did not sign.DGH wrote:You are allowed to sign on their behalf if someone is physically incapable. I had to do it once for someone who was blind and several times for a person whose hands couldn't grip the pen (this in pre-PDA days, but it'd have been the same now)postietom wrote:I have to say if they're really old and clearly can't sign, I'll do it for them. Ultimately if somebody is there but they can't physically do it for themselves I think that's very different thing from somebody taking it upon themselves to sign for something. The dns thing is a good idea though to add that bit of extra cover.
-
yellowbelly
- Posts: 3730
- Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
- Gender: Male
Customers asking (insisting) you sign for things?
In the situations you've described above, as far as I am aware the procedure (as detailed in the PDA User GuideDGH wrote:You are allowed to sign on their behalf if someone is physically incapable. I had to do it once for someone who was blind and several times for a person whose hands couldn't grip the pen (this in pre-PDA days, but it'd have been the same now)postietom wrote:I have to say if they're really old and clearly can't sign, I'll do it for them. Ultimately if somebody is there but they can't physically do it for themselves I think that's very different thing from somebody taking it upon themselves to sign for something. The dns thing is a good idea though to add that bit of extra cover.
for the old style PDA) is to enter 'MAR' - Marked as received in the signature box (as well as their 'mark'), where the recipient is not able to sign
properly but can make a mark in the signature box or 'DWS' - Delivered without signature - where the customer is unable to make a mark or signature.
I would still MAR/DWS as this would give any subsequent investigation a pointer that the recipient was unable to sign for an item due to a disability.
-
arnold cheshire
- Posts: 5309
- Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
- Gender: Male
- Location: england
Customers asking (insisting) you sign for things?
Why listen to a customer this stopped over 10 years ago
-
nickbsmooth
- Posts: 279
- Joined: 25 Jan 2013, 14:19
- Gender: Male
- Location: South East
Customers asking (insisting) you sign for things?
I've been asked to sign for stuff with certain customers that are severely handicapped. So have very limited use of hands. I make an exception for disabled people but this it's very rare I need to do this.
-
RAMBLER99
- Posts: 4
- Joined: 07 Jan 2019, 17:29
- Gender: Male
Customers asking (insisting) you sign for things?
Just say NO.danterossetti wrote:I deal with this by explaining to the customer that I am not allowed to sign for them.
-
RAMBLER99
- Posts: 4
- Joined: 07 Jan 2019, 17:29
- Gender: Male
Customers asking (insisting) you sign for things?
Don't do it. Putting your job at risk for nowt.Natagora wrote:If it’s an agreement between customer and postman, and the postman is 100% sure that the item is going to the correct address, then fine, just post it through. Being on a round for some time gives you the chance to strike up a bond with customers, and the last thing they want when they get home is a slip telling them to go to the delivery office to collect something that would have easily gone through the letterbox. I’ve been on my currrent round for over two years now, and post specials and recorded stuff literally every day. The customers appreciate me doing this! If it’s someone I don’t know then obviously play it safe and leave a card but that’s very rare.
-
MrBrinks89
- Posts: 24
- Joined: 17 May 2018, 18:45
- Gender: Male
Customers asking (insisting) you sign for things?
I wouldn't. I'm the one that gets bollocked for it at the end of the day if something goes wrong I.e. if I misdelivered it or if there was a desrepancy with the item.
-
TheTrolleyMan
- Posts: 776
- Joined: 13 Mar 2017, 15:39
- Gender: Male
Customers asking (insisting) you sign for things?
It's fraud , the sender wants a customers signature not the postie faking their signature . How many times have posties done customers favours and then been hung out to dry when it all goes wrong ?
-
TheTrolleyMan
- Posts: 776
- Joined: 13 Mar 2017, 15:39
- Gender: Male
Customers asking (insisting) you sign for things?
I'll do a favour like that if the customer is in but most customers want you to sign and post items while their out or at worknickbsmooth wrote:I've been asked to sign for stuff with certain customers that are severely handicapped. So have very limited use of hands. I make an exception for disabled people but this it's very rare I need to do this.