I've had someone ask me to sign for them while they were right in front of me and unable to physically do it themselves. (Parkinsons) In this case I would say it would be pretty harsh to refuse! But if they were not present then I wouldn't sign.Redvannon wrote:Isn't there a procedure should you be delivering to a disabled (or temporarily disabled) person though? Say someone who'd got severe arthritis or someone who'd broken both arms for instance?
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Customers asking (insisting) you sign for things?
-
DrSatan
- Posts: 144
- Joined: 23 Jun 2017, 19:11
- Gender: Male
Customers asking (insisting) you sign for things?
-
Redvannon
- Posts: 59
- Joined: 27 Nov 2017, 20:09
- Gender: Male
Customers asking (insisting) you sign for things?
DrSatan wrote:I've had someone ask me to sign for them while they were right in front of me and unable to physically do it themselves. (Parkinsons) In this case I would say it would be pretty harsh to refuse! But if they were not present then I wouldn't sign.Redvannon wrote:Isn't there a procedure should you be delivering to a disabled (or temporarily disabled) person though? Say someone who'd got severe arthritis or someone who'd broken both arms for instance?
I've not had that situation as of yet, it was purely because if this thread it popped into my head. I'd honestly say I'd probably do the same as you though. I'd just wondered if there was an official line about it or if it was down to our common sense
-
deltaforce
- Posts: 778
- Joined: 01 Jan 2009, 15:29
- Gender: Male
Customers asking (insisting) you sign for things?
Then enter on pda unable to sign where you would normally sign and hand item to customer.
-
sjh182
- Posts: 15
- Joined: 01 Dec 2016, 19:04
- Gender: Male
Customers asking (insisting) you sign for things?
This is slightly old advice as it is from the procedure manual from the old PDAs and may have been superseded, if a customer is able to make a mark but not a signature you should enter the letters M.A.R. (marked as received) into the signature box and if the customer is unable to make any mark you should enter the letters D.W.S. (delivered without signature)Redvannon wrote:DrSatan wrote:I've had someone ask me to sign for them while they were right in front of me and unable to physically do it themselves. (Parkinsons) In this case I would say it would be pretty harsh to refuse! But if they were not present then I wouldn't sign.Redvannon wrote:Isn't there a procedure should you be delivering to a disabled (or temporarily disabled) person though? Say someone who'd got severe arthritis or someone who'd broken both arms for instance?
I've not had that situation as of yet, it was purely because if this thread it popped into my head. I'd honestly say I'd probably do the same as you though. I'd just wondered if there was an official line about it or if it was down to our common sense
-
arnold cheshire
- Posts: 5309
- Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
- Gender: Male
- Location: england
Customers asking (insisting) you sign for things?
I thought the official line was enter DNS when a blind person cannot sign
-
fb1969
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1693
- Joined: 29 Aug 2012, 08:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: hiding on the backstreets
Customers asking (insisting) you sign for things?
I have a blind customer on my current duty. I put "DWS" (for delivered without signature) in the surname box, then sign it with my initials and the duty number.
If there is any comeback I'll know what I did and why I did it and take it from there. But I only do it after I have checked with them that they are happy for me to do it.
If there is any comeback I'll know what I did and why I did it and take it from there. But I only do it after I have checked with them that they are happy for me to do it.
Royal Mail
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
-
Acca Dacca
- Posts: 3226
- Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 17:13
- Gender: Male
Customers asking (insisting) you sign for things?
While I completely understand why we shouldnt sign for letters and stick them through, one thing I do not understand is why we are allowed to have a neighbour sign for it
( obviously not including specials )
( obviously not including specials )
If you tolerate this, then your paid break will be next
-
deltaforce
- Posts: 778
- Joined: 01 Jan 2009, 15:29
- Gender: Male
Customers asking (insisting) you sign for things?
Good point. The simple answer is because Royal Mail make the rules and pays your wages.
-
arnold cheshire
- Posts: 5309
- Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
- Gender: Male
- Location: england
Customers asking (insisting) you sign for things?
Ignore the customer they mean nothing to you
-
Acca Dacca
- Posts: 3226
- Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 17:13
- Gender: Male
Customers asking (insisting) you sign for things?
It explains why we allow the neighbourdeltaforce wrote:Good point. The simple answer is because Royal Mail make the rules and pays your wages.
It doesnt explain why Royal Mail thinks thats ok though
If you tolerate this, then your paid break will be next
-
steve1873
- Posts: 800
- Joined: 08 Oct 2007, 13:55
Customers asking (insisting) you sign for things?
Absolutely mental.Natagora wrote:If it’s an agreement between customer and postman, and the postman is 100% sure that the item is going to the correct address, then fine, just post it through. Being on a round for some time gives you the chance to strike up a bond with customers, and the last thing they want when they get home is a slip telling them to go to the delivery office to collect something that would have easily gone through the letterbox. I’ve been on my currrent round for over two years now, and post specials and recorded stuff literally every day. The customers appreciate me doing this! If it’s someone I don’t know then obviously play it safe and leave a card but that’s very rare.
-
steve1873
- Posts: 800
- Joined: 08 Oct 2007, 13:55
Customers asking (insisting) you sign for things?
You are, by your own admission, making the kind of misjudgement on a daily basis!Natagora wrote:I’m betting on a virtual certainty every time I do this. Also, for it to result in a scenario whereby I lose my job, I would have had to have got a decision horrendously wrong, and that sort of misjudgement simply isn’t going to happen.Murdoch wrote:How so? That's a crap return for the risk you're taking lolNatagora wrote:
The odds are in my favour!
It is simply a matter if time until you are on a conduct code!
But hey, if that is worth £160 in Xmas tips to you then fire away!
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Customers asking (insisting) you sign for things?
The DNS Scenario is very relevant for older customers. How many times do you have to say, "Try not to squeeze the PDA... There's buttons on the side... AND try not to rest your hand on it... OR hold it with your other hand touching the screen"!
Poor old bugger's getting more and more stressed...... trying to see which end of the "Pen" to use. After a few goes I'll normally do it for them... with the DNS Proviso. 
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
Trail
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 162
- Joined: 01 Dec 2016, 19:54
- Gender: Male
Customers asking (insisting) you sign for things?
When I worked for Royal Mail I used to sign everything I could get through the box and then put obscure Mexican boxers' names for the name.
I'd only sign for specials if I knew the customer would allow me.
I never got into trouble once.
I always tell my postman to sign for anything. It's all about knowing your customers.
I'd only sign for specials if I knew the customer would allow me.
I never got into trouble once.
I always tell my postman to sign for anything. It's all about knowing your customers.
-
itinerant
- Posts: 156
- Joined: 16 Sep 2017, 17:54
- Gender: Male
Customers asking (insisting) you sign for things?
your customer is the person sending the parcel, not the person you are delivering to!Trail wrote:When I worked for Royal Mail I used to sign everything I could get through the box and then put obscure Mexican boxers' names for the name.
I'd only sign for specials if I knew the customer would allow me.
I never got into trouble once.
I always tell my postman to sign for anything. It's all about knowing your customers.