ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Customers asking (insisting) you sign for things?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
DrSatan
Posts: 144
Joined: 23 Jun 2017, 19:11
Gender: Male

Customers asking (insisting) you sign for things?

Post by DrSatan »

Redvannon wrote:Isn't there a procedure should you be delivering to a disabled (or temporarily disabled) person though? Say someone who'd got severe arthritis or someone who'd broken both arms for instance?
I've had someone ask me to sign for them while they were right in front of me and unable to physically do it themselves. (Parkinsons) In this case I would say it would be pretty harsh to refuse! But if they were not present then I wouldn't sign.
Redvannon
Posts: 59
Joined: 27 Nov 2017, 20:09
Gender: Male

Customers asking (insisting) you sign for things?

Post by Redvannon »

DrSatan wrote:
Redvannon wrote:Isn't there a procedure should you be delivering to a disabled (or temporarily disabled) person though? Say someone who'd got severe arthritis or someone who'd broken both arms for instance?
I've had someone ask me to sign for them while they were right in front of me and unable to physically do it themselves. (Parkinsons) In this case I would say it would be pretty harsh to refuse! But if they were not present then I wouldn't sign.

I've not had that situation as of yet, it was purely because if this thread it popped into my head. I'd honestly say I'd probably do the same as you though. I'd just wondered if there was an official line about it or if it was down to our common sense
deltaforce
Posts: 778
Joined: 01 Jan 2009, 15:29
Gender: Male

Customers asking (insisting) you sign for things?

Post by deltaforce »

Then enter on pda unable to sign where you would normally sign and hand item to customer.
sjh182
Posts: 15
Joined: 01 Dec 2016, 19:04
Gender: Male

Customers asking (insisting) you sign for things?

Post by sjh182 »

Redvannon wrote:
DrSatan wrote:
Redvannon wrote:Isn't there a procedure should you be delivering to a disabled (or temporarily disabled) person though? Say someone who'd got severe arthritis or someone who'd broken both arms for instance?
I've had someone ask me to sign for them while they were right in front of me and unable to physically do it themselves. (Parkinsons) In this case I would say it would be pretty harsh to refuse! But if they were not present then I wouldn't sign.

I've not had that situation as of yet, it was purely because if this thread it popped into my head. I'd honestly say I'd probably do the same as you though. I'd just wondered if there was an official line about it or if it was down to our common sense
This is slightly old advice as it is from the procedure manual from the old PDAs and may have been superseded, if a customer is able to make a mark but not a signature you should enter the letters M.A.R. (marked as received) into the signature box and if the customer is unable to make any mark you should enter the letters D.W.S. (delivered without signature)
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Customers asking (insisting) you sign for things?

Post by arnold cheshire »

I thought the official line was enter DNS when a blind person cannot sign
fb1969
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1693
Joined: 29 Aug 2012, 08:38
Gender: Male
Location: hiding on the backstreets

Customers asking (insisting) you sign for things?

Post by fb1969 »

I have a blind customer on my current duty. I put "DWS" (for delivered without signature) in the surname box, then sign it with my initials and the duty number.
If there is any comeback I'll know what I did and why I did it and take it from there. But I only do it after I have checked with them that they are happy for me to do it.
Royal Mail
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
Acca Dacca
Posts: 3226
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 17:13
Gender: Male

Customers asking (insisting) you sign for things?

Post by Acca Dacca »

While I completely understand why we shouldnt sign for letters and stick them through, one thing I do not understand is why we are allowed to have a neighbour sign for it

( obviously not including specials )
If you tolerate this, then your paid break will be next
deltaforce
Posts: 778
Joined: 01 Jan 2009, 15:29
Gender: Male

Customers asking (insisting) you sign for things?

Post by deltaforce »

Good point. The simple answer is because Royal Mail make the rules and pays your wages.
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Customers asking (insisting) you sign for things?

Post by arnold cheshire »

Ignore the customer they mean nothing to you
Acca Dacca
Posts: 3226
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 17:13
Gender: Male

Customers asking (insisting) you sign for things?

Post by Acca Dacca »

deltaforce wrote:Good point. The simple answer is because Royal Mail make the rules and pays your wages.
It explains why we allow the neighbour
It doesnt explain why Royal Mail thinks thats ok though
If you tolerate this, then your paid break will be next
steve1873
Posts: 800
Joined: 08 Oct 2007, 13:55

Customers asking (insisting) you sign for things?

Post by steve1873 »

Natagora wrote:If it’s an agreement between customer and postman, and the postman is 100% sure that the item is going to the correct address, then fine, just post it through. Being on a round for some time gives you the chance to strike up a bond with customers, and the last thing they want when they get home is a slip telling them to go to the delivery office to collect something that would have easily gone through the letterbox. I’ve been on my currrent round for over two years now, and post specials and recorded stuff literally every day. The customers appreciate me doing this! If it’s someone I don’t know then obviously play it safe and leave a card but that’s very rare.
Absolutely mental.
steve1873
Posts: 800
Joined: 08 Oct 2007, 13:55

Customers asking (insisting) you sign for things?

Post by steve1873 »

Natagora wrote:
Murdoch wrote:
Natagora wrote:
The odds are in my favour!
How so? That's a crap return for the risk you're taking lol
I’m betting on a virtual certainty every time I do this. Also, for it to result in a scenario whereby I lose my job, I would have had to have got a decision horrendously wrong, and that sort of misjudgement simply isn’t going to happen.
You are, by your own admission, making the kind of misjudgement on a daily basis!

It is simply a matter if time until you are on a conduct code!

But hey, if that is worth £160 in Xmas tips to you then fire away!
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Customers asking (insisting) you sign for things?

Post by Dorset Plodder »

The DNS Scenario is very relevant for older customers. How many times do you have to say, "Try not to squeeze the PDA... There's buttons on the side... AND try not to rest your hand on it... OR hold it with your other hand touching the screen"! :crazy: Poor old bugger's getting more and more stressed...... trying to see which end of the "Pen" to use. After a few goes I'll normally do it for them... with the DNS Proviso. :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
Trail
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 162
Joined: 01 Dec 2016, 19:54
Gender: Male

Customers asking (insisting) you sign for things?

Post by Trail »

When I worked for Royal Mail I used to sign everything I could get through the box and then put obscure Mexican boxers' names for the name.

I'd only sign for specials if I knew the customer would allow me.

I never got into trouble once.

I always tell my postman to sign for anything. It's all about knowing your customers.
itinerant
Posts: 156
Joined: 16 Sep 2017, 17:54
Gender: Male

Customers asking (insisting) you sign for things?

Post by itinerant »

Trail wrote:When I worked for Royal Mail I used to sign everything I could get through the box and then put obscure Mexican boxers' names for the name.

I'd only sign for specials if I knew the customer would allow me.

I never got into trouble once.

I always tell my postman to sign for anything. It's all about knowing your customers.
your customer is the person sending the parcel, not the person you are delivering to! :arrrghhh