ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

PDA not able to call office

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
high1ander
Posts: 23
Joined: 04 May 2015, 15:44
Gender: Male

PDA not able to call office

Post by high1ander »

agree with you azza and even if you did want to carry a mobile phone while walking 10 mile in the pouring rain is it then your responsibility to make sure that has a full charge aswell..maybe if its raining you can wrap your mobile up in a bag to stop it getting wet or even better still wrap it in a jiffy bag to cushion it a bit for the 10 mile walk while its in your pocket lol.....i dont think youred being petty at all if you dont want to carry a mobile phone then its your choice and i dont carry one as i have box keys in 1 pocket and house keys in another pocket...people will say put the keys in your bag but our bags all have small holes in them not the 1st time small packets have fell out...and yes i have reported it.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

PDA not able to call office

Post by Dorset Plodder »

I've never had a communications problem with the PDA. I use it to call the Office if I need to, and visa versa. When I'm not at work my mobile's normally switched off :shock: I'm not a Milleniall, and therefore don't spend my entire day walking around playing with it. :crazy:

A couple of times I've switched it on to find a text from work asking about where I'd left a packet. As I ignore these things no ones ever said anything about it. I agree that employees shouldn't be spending their phone credit helping out RM. :no no Before PDAs you used to be able to reverse the charges to the Office, which I did a few times (and I presume you still can) just dial in R...E...V...E...R...S...E before the Office number. They get an automated call.... exept it and you're put through. :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
postmanzach
Posts: 515
Joined: 18 Jul 2011, 15:01
Gender: Male

PDA not able to call office

Post by postmanzach »

Wouldn’t worry about it, happened to me a few times, or where pda just keeps freezing or not working In the rain- I’ve given up on it . You just take photos or write down the barcode numbers and manually put them in when back.
Lol at expecting someone to come and drop you off a spare pda, should ask for bacon sandwich and coffee whilst your at it :left:

When we got new pdas we were told to take a spare battery with us, dont think anyone bothers now. Pretty poor that we can’t charge them in the vans.
joewyan
Posts: 382
Joined: 28 Jun 2016, 22:56
Gender: Male

PDA not able to call office

Post by joewyan »

azza30 wrote:
jd9442 wrote:Wouldn’t rely on a Royal Mail issued device being suitable to call whoever I need to call in an emergency, likewise I’d always carry a phone as I wouldn’t rely on management to contact me if there was an emergency at home/family needing to contact me.

‘Not being able to afford a phone’ isn’t a problem these days as you can get a phone for £10 at Tesco

Don’t need to ever give the number to management
But you are missing the point - RM should be obliged to supply working suitable equipment as it is a tool for the job. Would you use your own van or trolley?

There is no requirement to call the office so it wouldn’t be a tool for the job! You should have the paper backup on you at all times in case of PDA issues and then there is no problem to complete the job.
azza30
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 112
Joined: 09 Apr 2018, 14:48
Gender: Male
Location: Eternal Misery

PDA not able to call office

Post by azza30 »

joewyan wrote:
azza30 wrote:
jd9442 wrote:Wouldn’t rely on a Royal Mail issued device being suitable to call whoever I need to call in an emergency, likewise I’d always carry a phone as I wouldn’t rely on management to contact me if there was an emergency at home/family needing to contact me.

‘Not being able to afford a phone’ isn’t a problem these days as you can get a phone for £10 at Tesco

Don’t need to ever give the number to management
But you are missing the point - RM should be obliged to supply working suitable equipment as it is a tool for the job. Would you use your own van or trolley?

There is no requirement to call the office so it wouldn’t be a tool for the job! You should have the paper backup on you at all times in case of PDA issues and then there is no problem to complete the job.
Yes it is a tool for the job - what if some one steels your post, or you are bitten on the leg by a dog, or the van breaksdown, or you crash the van, or the trolley wheel falls off? What then?
joewyan
Posts: 382
Joined: 28 Jun 2016, 22:56
Gender: Male

PDA not able to call office

Post by joewyan »

azza30 wrote:
joewyan wrote:
azza30 wrote:
jd9442 wrote:Wouldn’t rely on a Royal Mail issued device being suitable to call whoever I need to call in an emergency, likewise I’d always carry a phone as I wouldn’t rely on management to contact me if there was an emergency at home/family needing to contact me.

‘Not being able to afford a phone’ isn’t a problem these days as you can get a phone for £10 at Tesco

Don’t need to ever give the number to management
But you are missing the point - RM should be obliged to supply working suitable equipment as it is a tool for the job. Would you use your own van or trolley?

There is no requirement to call the office so it wouldn’t be a tool for the job! You should have the paper backup on you at all times in case of PDA issues and then there is no problem to complete the job.
Yes it is a tool for the job - what if some one steels your post, or you are bitten on the leg by a dog, or the van breaksdown, or you crash the van, or the trolley wheel falls off? What then?
So you think Royal Mail should provide us with a mobile phone in case one of these things happens? (Because I’m sure not one member of the public would help in an emergency) That would be for the 1 or 2 people who don’t actually have a mobile phone.
number one
Posts: 1324
Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
Gender: Male

PDA not able to call office

Post by number one »

I bet you don’t wear socks for work because Royal Mail don’t provide them
hans solo
Posts: 3291
Joined: 06 Feb 2011, 18:08
Gender: Male

PDA not able to call office

Post by hans solo »

f**k off rm dont pay my mobile bill
they pay for mobiles and contracts for their managers
i block all numbers from mgmt and rm on MY phone if they need to contact me pda or nothing
and you know why they dont call pda they are too f***ing thick to be able to
number one
Posts: 1324
Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
Gender: Male

PDA not able to call office

Post by number one »

hans solo wrote:f**k off rm dont pay my mobile bill
they pay for mobiles and contracts for their managers
i block all numbers from mgmt and rm on MY phone if they need to contact me pda or nothing
and you know why they dont call pda they are too f***ing thick to be able to
And this is why RM are struggling, when they have staff like this
Ralph Wiggum
Posts: 76
Joined: 25 Nov 2008, 15:01
Gender: Male

PDA not able to call office

Post by Ralph Wiggum »

number one, ever thought about calling yourself 'number 2'? as you seem to talk enough of it!! :chuckle :chuckle :chuckle :chuckle
hans solo
Posts: 3291
Joined: 06 Feb 2011, 18:08
Gender: Male

PDA not able to call office

Post by hans solo »

rm are not struggling and i can assure you im not helping my idiot of a line manager make mega bonuses on savings through myself
get real number one :left: you obviously dont realize your being constantly shafted or your the one doing the shafting and while im at f**k their shares as well sold mine asap and laugh at everyone watching share values crash :nana :nana :nana :nana
hate this company now
redundancy and im offski :dance :dance :dance :dance :dance :dance
number one
Posts: 1324
Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
Gender: Male

PDA not able to call office

Post by number one »

hans solo wrote:rm are not struggling and i can assure you im not helping my idiot of a line manager make mega bonuses on savings through myself
get real number one :left: you obviously dont realize your being constantly shafted or your the one doing the shafting and while im at f**k their shares as well sold mine asap and laugh at everyone watching share values crash :nana :nana :nana :nana
hate this company now
redundancy and im offski :dance :dance :dance :dance :dance :dance
Goodbye then, you might be replaced by somebody who actually want the job
antcpfc
Posts: 629
Joined: 18 Sep 2007, 17:25

PDA not able to call office

Post by antcpfc »

postmanzach wrote:Wouldn’t worry about it, happened to me a few times, or where pda just keeps freezing or not working In the rain- I’ve given up on it . You just take photos or write down the barcode numbers and manually put them in when back.
Lol at expecting someone to come and drop you off a spare pda, should ask for bacon sandwich and coffee whilst your at it :left:

When we got new pdas we were told to take a spare battery with us, dont think anyone bothers now. Pretty poor that we can’t charge them in the vans.
When the new Pda's came out our vans had cradles fitted. They were ne really wired up though. :Applause
Slider tool. Lol.
azza30
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 112
Joined: 09 Apr 2018, 14:48
Gender: Male
Location: Eternal Misery

PDA not able to call office

Post by azza30 »

Dorset Plodder wrote:I've never had a communications problem with the PDA. I use it to call the Office if I need to, and visa versa. When I'm not at work my mobile's normally switched off :shock: I'm not a Milleniall, and therefore don't spend my entire day walking around playing with it. :crazy:

A couple of times I've switched it on to find a text from work asking about where I'd left a packet. As I ignore these things no ones ever said anything about it. I agree that employees shouldn't be spending their phone credit helping out RM. :no no Before PDAs you used to be able to reverse the charges to the Office, which I did a few times (and I presume you still can) just dial in R...E...V...E...R...S...E before the Office number. They get an automated call.... exept it and you're put through. :cuppa

Lucky you - our PDA doesn't call the office - wrong numbers put in.
azza30
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 112
Joined: 09 Apr 2018, 14:48
Gender: Male
Location: Eternal Misery

PDA not able to call office

Post by azza30 »

joewyan wrote:
azza30 wrote:
joewyan wrote:
azza30 wrote:
jd9442 wrote:Wouldn’t rely on a Royal Mail issued device being suitable to call whoever I need to call in an emergency, likewise I’d always carry a phone as I wouldn’t rely on management to contact me if there was an emergency at home/family needing to contact me.

‘Not being able to afford a phone’ isn’t a problem these days as you can get a phone for £10 at Tesco

Don’t need to ever give the number to management
But you are missing the point - RM should be obliged to supply working suitable equipment as it is a tool for the job. Would you use your own van or trolley?

There is no requirement to call the office so it wouldn’t be a tool for the job! You should have the paper backup on you at all times in case of PDA issues and then there is no problem to complete the job.
Yes it is a tool for the job - what if some one steels your post, or you are bitten on the leg by a dog, or the van breaksdown, or you crash the van, or the trolley wheel falls off? What then?
So you think Royal Mail should provide us with a mobile phone in case one of these things happens? (Because I’m sure not one member of the public would help in an emergency) That would be for the 1 or 2 people who don’t actually have a mobile phone.
No I didn't say they should provide us with a mobile - they should get the PDA's working properly to enable calls to be made. READ THE ACTUAL POST