ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
PDA not able to call office
-
high1ander
- Posts: 23
- Joined: 04 May 2015, 15:44
- Gender: Male
PDA not able to call office
agree with you azza and even if you did want to carry a mobile phone while walking 10 mile in the pouring rain is it then your responsibility to make sure that has a full charge aswell..maybe if its raining you can wrap your mobile up in a bag to stop it getting wet or even better still wrap it in a jiffy bag to cushion it a bit for the 10 mile walk while its in your pocket lol.....i dont think youred being petty at all if you dont want to carry a mobile phone then its your choice and i dont carry one as i have box keys in 1 pocket and house keys in another pocket...people will say put the keys in your bag but our bags all have small holes in them not the 1st time small packets have fell out...and yes i have reported it.
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
PDA not able to call office
I've never had a communications problem with the PDA. I use it to call the Office if I need to, and visa versa. When I'm not at work my mobile's normally switched off
I'm not a Milleniall, and therefore don't spend my entire day walking around playing with it.
A couple of times I've switched it on to find a text from work asking about where I'd left a packet. As I ignore these things no ones ever said anything about it. I agree that employees shouldn't be spending their phone credit helping out RM.
Before PDAs you used to be able to reverse the charges to the Office, which I did a few times (and I presume you still can) just dial in R...E...V...E...R...S...E before the Office number. They get an automated call.... exept it and you're put through. 
A couple of times I've switched it on to find a text from work asking about where I'd left a packet. As I ignore these things no ones ever said anything about it. I agree that employees shouldn't be spending their phone credit helping out RM.
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
postmanzach
- Posts: 515
- Joined: 18 Jul 2011, 15:01
- Gender: Male
PDA not able to call office
Wouldn’t worry about it, happened to me a few times, or where pda just keeps freezing or not working In the rain- I’ve given up on it . You just take photos or write down the barcode numbers and manually put them in when back.
Lol at expecting someone to come and drop you off a spare pda, should ask for bacon sandwich and coffee whilst your at it
When we got new pdas we were told to take a spare battery with us, dont think anyone bothers now. Pretty poor that we can’t charge them in the vans.
Lol at expecting someone to come and drop you off a spare pda, should ask for bacon sandwich and coffee whilst your at it
When we got new pdas we were told to take a spare battery with us, dont think anyone bothers now. Pretty poor that we can’t charge them in the vans.
-
joewyan
- Posts: 382
- Joined: 28 Jun 2016, 22:56
- Gender: Male
PDA not able to call office
azza30 wrote:But you are missing the point - RM should be obliged to supply working suitable equipment as it is a tool for the job. Would you use your own van or trolley?jd9442 wrote:Wouldn’t rely on a Royal Mail issued device being suitable to call whoever I need to call in an emergency, likewise I’d always carry a phone as I wouldn’t rely on management to contact me if there was an emergency at home/family needing to contact me.
‘Not being able to afford a phone’ isn’t a problem these days as you can get a phone for £10 at Tesco
Don’t need to ever give the number to management
There is no requirement to call the office so it wouldn’t be a tool for the job! You should have the paper backup on you at all times in case of PDA issues and then there is no problem to complete the job.
-
azza30
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 112
- Joined: 09 Apr 2018, 14:48
- Gender: Male
- Location: Eternal Misery
PDA not able to call office
Yes it is a tool for the job - what if some one steels your post, or you are bitten on the leg by a dog, or the van breaksdown, or you crash the van, or the trolley wheel falls off? What then?joewyan wrote:azza30 wrote:But you are missing the point - RM should be obliged to supply working suitable equipment as it is a tool for the job. Would you use your own van or trolley?jd9442 wrote:Wouldn’t rely on a Royal Mail issued device being suitable to call whoever I need to call in an emergency, likewise I’d always carry a phone as I wouldn’t rely on management to contact me if there was an emergency at home/family needing to contact me.
‘Not being able to afford a phone’ isn’t a problem these days as you can get a phone for £10 at Tesco
Don’t need to ever give the number to management
There is no requirement to call the office so it wouldn’t be a tool for the job! You should have the paper backup on you at all times in case of PDA issues and then there is no problem to complete the job.
-
joewyan
- Posts: 382
- Joined: 28 Jun 2016, 22:56
- Gender: Male
PDA not able to call office
So you think Royal Mail should provide us with a mobile phone in case one of these things happens? (Because I’m sure not one member of the public would help in an emergency) That would be for the 1 or 2 people who don’t actually have a mobile phone.azza30 wrote:Yes it is a tool for the job - what if some one steels your post, or you are bitten on the leg by a dog, or the van breaksdown, or you crash the van, or the trolley wheel falls off? What then?joewyan wrote:azza30 wrote:But you are missing the point - RM should be obliged to supply working suitable equipment as it is a tool for the job. Would you use your own van or trolley?jd9442 wrote:Wouldn’t rely on a Royal Mail issued device being suitable to call whoever I need to call in an emergency, likewise I’d always carry a phone as I wouldn’t rely on management to contact me if there was an emergency at home/family needing to contact me.
‘Not being able to afford a phone’ isn’t a problem these days as you can get a phone for £10 at Tesco
Don’t need to ever give the number to management
There is no requirement to call the office so it wouldn’t be a tool for the job! You should have the paper backup on you at all times in case of PDA issues and then there is no problem to complete the job.
-
number one
- Posts: 1324
- Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
- Gender: Male
PDA not able to call office
I bet you don’t wear socks for work because Royal Mail don’t provide them
-
hans solo
- Posts: 3291
- Joined: 06 Feb 2011, 18:08
- Gender: Male
PDA not able to call office
f**k off rm dont pay my mobile bill
they pay for mobiles and contracts for their managers
i block all numbers from mgmt and rm on MY phone if they need to contact me pda or nothing
and you know why they dont call pda they are too f***ing thick to be able to
they pay for mobiles and contracts for their managers
i block all numbers from mgmt and rm on MY phone if they need to contact me pda or nothing
and you know why they dont call pda they are too f***ing thick to be able to
-
number one
- Posts: 1324
- Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
- Gender: Male
PDA not able to call office
And this is why RM are struggling, when they have staff like thishans solo wrote:f**k off rm dont pay my mobile bill
they pay for mobiles and contracts for their managers
i block all numbers from mgmt and rm on MY phone if they need to contact me pda or nothing
and you know why they dont call pda they are too f***ing thick to be able to
-
Ralph Wiggum
- Posts: 76
- Joined: 25 Nov 2008, 15:01
- Gender: Male
PDA not able to call office
number one, ever thought about calling yourself 'number 2'? as you seem to talk enough of it!!

-
hans solo
- Posts: 3291
- Joined: 06 Feb 2011, 18:08
- Gender: Male
PDA not able to call office
rm are not struggling and i can assure you im not helping my idiot of a line manager make mega bonuses on savings through myself
get real number one
you obviously dont realize your being constantly shafted or your the one doing the shafting and while im at f**k their shares as well sold mine asap and laugh at everyone watching share values crash
hate this company now
redundancy and im offski

get real number one
hate this company now
redundancy and im offski
-
number one
- Posts: 1324
- Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
- Gender: Male
PDA not able to call office
Goodbye then, you might be replaced by somebody who actually want the jobhans solo wrote:rm are not struggling and i can assure you im not helping my idiot of a line manager make mega bonuses on savings through myself
get real number oneyou obviously dont realize your being constantly shafted or your the one doing the shafting and while im at f**k their shares as well sold mine asap and laugh at everyone watching share values crash
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
hate this company now
redundancy and im offski![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
-
antcpfc
- Posts: 629
- Joined: 18 Sep 2007, 17:25
PDA not able to call office
When the new Pda's came out our vans had cradles fitted. They were ne really wired up though.postmanzach wrote:Wouldn’t worry about it, happened to me a few times, or where pda just keeps freezing or not working In the rain- I’ve given up on it . You just take photos or write down the barcode numbers and manually put them in when back.
Lol at expecting someone to come and drop you off a spare pda, should ask for bacon sandwich and coffee whilst your at it
When we got new pdas we were told to take a spare battery with us, dont think anyone bothers now. Pretty poor that we can’t charge them in the vans.
Slider tool. Lol.
-
azza30
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 112
- Joined: 09 Apr 2018, 14:48
- Gender: Male
- Location: Eternal Misery
PDA not able to call office
Dorset Plodder wrote:I've never had a communications problem with the PDA. I use it to call the Office if I need to, and visa versa. When I'm not at work my mobile's normally switched offI'm not a Milleniall, and therefore don't spend my entire day walking around playing with it.
![]()
A couple of times I've switched it on to find a text from work asking about where I'd left a packet. As I ignore these things no ones ever said anything about it. I agree that employees shouldn't be spending their phone credit helping out RM.Before PDAs you used to be able to reverse the charges to the Office, which I did a few times (and I presume you still can) just dial in R...E...V...E...R...S...E before the Office number. They get an automated call.... exept it and you're put through.
Lucky you - our PDA doesn't call the office - wrong numbers put in.
-
azza30
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 112
- Joined: 09 Apr 2018, 14:48
- Gender: Male
- Location: Eternal Misery
PDA not able to call office
No I didn't say they should provide us with a mobile - they should get the PDA's working properly to enable calls to be made. READ THE ACTUAL POSTjoewyan wrote:So you think Royal Mail should provide us with a mobile phone in case one of these things happens? (Because I’m sure not one member of the public would help in an emergency) That would be for the 1 or 2 people who don’t actually have a mobile phone.azza30 wrote:Yes it is a tool for the job - what if some one steels your post, or you are bitten on the leg by a dog, or the van breaksdown, or you crash the van, or the trolley wheel falls off? What then?joewyan wrote:azza30 wrote:But you are missing the point - RM should be obliged to supply working suitable equipment as it is a tool for the job. Would you use your own van or trolley?jd9442 wrote:Wouldn’t rely on a Royal Mail issued device being suitable to call whoever I need to call in an emergency, likewise I’d always carry a phone as I wouldn’t rely on management to contact me if there was an emergency at home/family needing to contact me.
‘Not being able to afford a phone’ isn’t a problem these days as you can get a phone for £10 at Tesco
Don’t need to ever give the number to management
There is no requirement to call the office so it wouldn’t be a tool for the job! You should have the paper backup on you at all times in case of PDA issues and then there is no problem to complete the job.