ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Pay rise

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Woody Guthrie
Posts: 5166
Joined: 29 Sep 2018, 20:47
Gender: Male

Pay rise

Post by Woody Guthrie »

For example, reserves on part-time contracts that mostly work Full-time will now get paid more per hour for working Full-time than Full-timers do.
Remember when your teacher used to write "show your working" on your maths homework?
Only dead fish follow the current
Murdoch
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 572
Joined: 11 Apr 2018, 16:55
Gender: Male

Pay rise

Post by Murdoch »

Woody Guthrie wrote:
For example, reserves on part-time contracts that mostly work Full-time will now get paid more per hour for working Full-time than Full-timers do.
Remember when your teacher used to write "show your working" on your maths homework?
Nope, I never had that problem.

What exactly do you need explaining?
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16711
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Pay rise

Post by clashcityrocker »

Murdoch wrote:
What exactly do you need explaining?
A full timer who works full time hours will get x amount.
A part timer working full time hours will get x amount.

What you need to show is how a part timer working full time hours will get 2x.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
Murdoch
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 572
Joined: 11 Apr 2018, 16:55
Gender: Male

Pay rise

Post by Murdoch »

clashcityrocker wrote:
Murdoch wrote:
What exactly do you need explaining?
A full timer who works full time hours will get x amount.
A part timer working full time hours will get x amount.

What you need to show is how a part timer working full time hours will get 2x.
Oh, I see the confusion, I explained what I meant completely wrong.

The numbers are equal. If a part-timer works 38 hours, it's equivalent to the pay somebody on a 38 hour (FT) contract gets. Sorry about that.

With that said. What I meant was that Full-timers are expected to just do their normal workloads 12 minutes faster per day, I haven't seen any changes with regards to that, nobody is cutting off or putting in 12 mins overtime. Which doesn't really feel like much of a pay-rise or pay rate rise.

Whereas, regardless of what reserves are doing, they get a flat rate increase per hour. Which feels like a pay rise. I frequently work beyond 38 hours per week, doing a variety of different things.
Woody Guthrie
Posts: 5166
Joined: 29 Sep 2018, 20:47
Gender: Male

Pay rise

Post by Woody Guthrie »

Full-timers are expected to just do their normal workloads 12 minutes faster per day, I haven't seen any changes with regards to that, nobody is cutting off or putting in 12 mins overtime.
My experience has been that I just have 12 minutes less to prep part-time duties or do IPS , I'm not doing anything faster.
Only dead fish follow the current
Murdoch
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 572
Joined: 11 Apr 2018, 16:55
Gender: Male

Pay rise

Post by Murdoch »

Woody Guthrie wrote:
Full-timers are expected to just do their normal workloads 12 minutes faster per day, I haven't seen any changes with regards to that, nobody is cutting off or putting in 12 mins overtime.
My experience has been that I just have 12 minutes less to prep part-time duties or do IPS , I'm not doing anything faster.
who picks up the slack?
dohnut
Posts: 658
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:15
Gender: Male

Pay rise

Post by dohnut »

Murdoch wrote:
Woody Guthrie wrote:
Full-timers are expected to just do their normal workloads 12 minutes faster per day, I haven't seen any changes with regards to that, nobody is cutting off or putting in 12 mins overtime.
My experience has been that I just have 12 minutes less to prep part-time duties or do IPS , I'm not doing anything faster.
who picks up the slack?
Part timers having to prep more in less time.
Murdoch
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 572
Joined: 11 Apr 2018, 16:55
Gender: Male

Pay rise

Post by Murdoch »

dohnut wrote:
Part timers having to prep more in less time.
is that what's happening in larger offices? part-timers coming in later with loads of crap just left for them to do, which would normally have been done before the SWW rolled out?
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Pay rise

Post by Celgar »

Murdoch wrote:
clashcityrocker wrote:
Murdoch wrote:
What exactly do you need explaining?
A full timer who works full time hours will get x amount.
A part timer working full time hours will get x amount.

What you need to show is how a part timer working full time hours will get 2x.
Oh, I see the confusion, I explained what I meant completely wrong.

The numbers are equal. If a part-timer works 38 hours, it's equivalent to the pay somebody on a 38 hour (FT) contract gets. Sorry about that.

With that said. What I meant was that Full-timers are expected to just do their normal workloads 12 minutes faster per day, I haven't seen any changes with regards to that, nobody is cutting off or putting in 12 mins overtime. Which doesn't really feel like much of a pay-rise or pay rate rise.

Whereas, regardless of what reserves are doing, they get a flat rate increase per hour. Which feels like a pay rise. I frequently work beyond 38 hours per week, doing a variety of different things.
Terry gives us a wave from the ivory towers of the union castle but I agree the impression is the time taken away by the SWW plan is largely still being completed and mostly completed unpaid. I will say again than rather push the SWW the union should have pursued the idea that all work hours completed are paid for in full and that if part timers are required to do overtime on a regular basis that brings them up to full time hours they should be made full time permanently. The SWW does nothing and benefits neither side as far as I can tell.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
Woody Guthrie
Posts: 5166
Joined: 29 Sep 2018, 20:47
Gender: Male

Pay rise

Post by Woody Guthrie »

Murdoch wrote:
Woody Guthrie wrote:
Full-timers are expected to just do their normal workloads 12 minutes faster per day, I haven't seen any changes with regards to that, nobody is cutting off or putting in 12 mins overtime.
My experience has been that I just have 12 minutes less to prep part-time duties or do IPS , I'm not doing anything faster.
who picks up the slack?
People who think that a SWW means they have to work faster.
Only dead fish follow the current
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

Pay rise

Post by NewPostieUK »

Woody Guthrie wrote: My experience has been that I just have 12 minutes less to prep part-time duties or do IPS , I'm not doing anything faster.
Same in my office. Except there seems to be a few who work 4 days a week, so it's 15 mins less work for them each day, 15 mins more work for the part timer.
Murdoch wrote:
dohnut wrote:
Part timers having to prep more in less time.
is that what's happening in larger offices? part-timers coming in later with loads of crap just left for them to do, which would normally have been done before the SWW rolled out?
It's exactly what's happening in offices. I don't why you mention 'large' offices. Mine is a smallish office. On saturday it took me 40 mins to finish prepping my duty and I've told the manager I won't be doing that again.
Murdoch
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 572
Joined: 11 Apr 2018, 16:55
Gender: Male

Pay rise

Post by Murdoch »

NewPostieUK wrote: It's exactly what's happening in offices. I don't why you mention 'large' offices. Mine is a smallish office. On saturday it took me 40 mins to finish prepping my duty and I've told the manager I won't be doing that again.
I only used "larger" as a relative term. My office is tiny. What is a "smallish office"?

Pretty interesting though. Any word on any part-timers having their contract hours increased to compensate for this?
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

Pay rise

Post by NewPostieUK »

Murdoch wrote: I only used "larger" as a relative term. My office is tiny. What is a "smallish office"?

Pretty interesting though. Any word on any part-timers having their contract hours increased to compensate for this?
Smallish: about 38 walks.

I have no idea if hours will be added to the office, very much doubt it. Maybe if the ever look at the PDA actuals, which I doubt.