ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Left handed

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16710
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Left handed

Post by clashcityrocker »

Creditshampoo wrote:
scoobydo79 wrote:Tell Him You will report Him for discrimination
Correct
When did being left handed become a protected characteristic?
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
Altrider
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 81
Joined: 12 Feb 2013, 17:29
Gender: Male

Left handed

Post by Altrider »

Hmmmmm...... this seems to a perfect analogy for RM management - the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing :crazy:
tansorboy
Posts: 355
Joined: 22 Jan 2012, 12:41
Gender: Male

Left handed

Post by tansorboy »

clashcityrocker wrote:
Creditshampoo wrote:
scoobydo79 wrote:Tell Him You will report Him for discrimination
Correct
When did being left handed become a protected characteristic?

Left-handers are generally more intelligent than right-handers. It is not a disability, The curse is having to live in a right-handed world.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16710
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Left handed

Post by clashcityrocker »

tansorboy wrote:
Left-handers are generally more intelligent than right-handers. It is not a disability, The curse is having to live in a right-handed world.
Though I still prefer the days when they were tied to a stake and burnt.
Sinister and all that.
Last edited by clashcityrocker on 15 Oct 2018, 14:43, edited 1 time in total.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
General Mannerheim
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2299
Joined: 14 Dec 2007, 13:10
Gender: Male
Location: Stalag 17

Left handed

Post by General Mannerheim »

clashcityrocker wrote:
Creditshampoo wrote:
scoobydo79 wrote:Tell Him You will report Him for discrimination
Correct
When did being left handed become a protected characteristic?
When you've only got one hand? :Very Happy
Royal Mail managers.....about as popular as a t.urd in a swimming pool!
The DDA/Equality Act demands action,NOT words......adjustments NOT Occupational Health referrals.Case No:2505901/09
Royal Mail is an Equal Opportunities Employer..It discriminates against everybody.
tmac
Posts: 163
Joined: 15 Jan 2009, 15:25
Gender: Male

Left handed

Post by tmac »

Blaine wrote:
LaggyBand wrote:Left handers who want to use their left hand to place mail in the frame have to flip over every letter before doing so.

It’s a real pain.

Could be solved by reversing frame sequence specifically for left handers.

Surprised it hasn’t been addressed sooner
I hold the bundle in my right hand with the addresses facing to the left (but can still read them obviously) rather than directly at me, then use the left hand to put them in the frame by grabbing the letter at the top end nearest to me. No flipping required and no slower than any right-hander. It was a bit awkward at first because but actually is really easy to do once you're used to it.
tmac
Posts: 163
Joined: 15 Jan 2009, 15:25
Gender: Male

Left handed

Post by tmac »

I do exactly the same
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32805
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Left handed

Post by POSTMAN »

Ringer21 wrote:Worked for Royal Mail for 20 years I'm left handed never been a problem now the new manager is telling me I should be quicker throwing my trays in and to start using my right hand it takes me a out 13 mins to throw a full tray in any suggestions
Ignore him, he's a twat.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Left handed

Post by Celgar »

We used to have someone who was left handed in our office but it never really bothered anyone. We just noticed that the mail he sorted on the IPS would be the other way around but you just turn it around. It's really ignorant for a DOM to tell a left handed postie to use their right hand instead. I would just ignore them.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
Dingo99
Posts: 122
Joined: 06 Mar 2012, 14:04
Gender: Male

Left handed

Post by Dingo99 »

I am left handed and certainly not ambiguous-dextrous although I am lucky as I sort IPS etc holding the bundle in my left hand and sorting with my right hand, also the same on delivery, I tried it the other way and couldn't deliver lol, but I have seen my left handed colleague flipping them over and he has one of the fastest sort rates in the office, honestly he is well ahead after IPS and is often on his packets while I am still sorting my flats and packets, it can be done, but yes no manager should be telling you to use your right hand, what a twatt sorry for the french lol
buzzboy
Posts: 27
Joined: 13 Nov 2012, 10:44
Gender: Male

Left handed

Post by buzzboy »

Im left handed but I fill the frame right handed . TBH it took a few months to get some speed but im the same speed as right handers now . incidentally left handers tend to be quicker on their feet as most walks are on the left side of the street so if there are no drive ways a left hander doesn't have to rotate their body at every letter box like a right hander does . It makes a big difference in flats too . Low numbers start at the left normally . A right hander would have to walk backwards to be as quick as a left hander :dance .
twoloops
Posts: 2039
Joined: 24 May 2017, 20:52
Gender: Male
Location: Sheffield

Left handed

Post by twoloops »

Do Royal Mail still employ left handers?
anthonyok
Posts: 81
Joined: 13 Oct 2007, 17:53

Left handed

Post by anthonyok »

I sort with my right hand but post with my left hand. I am right handed i nevrything else , just strange why i post with my left hand.
HTPostman
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1507
Joined: 01 Sep 2008, 23:53
Gender: Male

Left handed

Post by HTPostman »

anthonyok wrote:I sort with my right hand but post with my left hand. I am right handed i nevrything else , just strange why i post with my left hand.
I’m the exact same. Never thought any different till a few van share partners ask why I hold the bundle in my right hand and post with my left. Don’t know if it’s possible to develop being ambidextrous but I’m getting there!
The day is gonna come when we’re all gonna have to testify.

526
goneaway
Posts: 314
Joined: 20 Oct 2016, 19:50
Gender: Male

Left handed

Post by goneaway »

HTPostman wrote:
anthonyok wrote:I sort with my right hand but post with my left hand. I am right handed i nevrything else , just strange why i post with my left hand.
I’m the exact same. Never thought any different till a few van share partners ask why I hold the bundle in my right hand and post with my left. Don’t know if it’s possible to develop being ambidextrous but I’m getting there!
I'm the same as well, hold bundle with my right hand, post with my left, yet I am VERY right handed with everything else I can think of. I can only think that because my right arm is stronger, it's better to use this to support a heavy bundle. I've tried swapping hands, but it just doesn't feel right.