ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Do we really need line managers?
-
hero22
- Posts: 596
- Joined: 21 Mar 2016, 19:48
- Gender: Male
Do we really need line managers?
The guy in the cage in our office who does specials etc is the main man, even the dom gets advice of him. Top man he is too. Our dom today spent the day getting a new alloy and tyre put on his motor and took his assistant along with him. No joking, yet theres an argument over 30 mins of overtime lol.
How can one company collect so many useless , lazy excuses for human beings (talking about doms lol incase anyone is offended) ?
How can one company collect so many useless , lazy excuses for human beings (talking about doms lol incase anyone is offended) ?
-
Seymour Buts
- Posts: 1148
- Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
- Gender: Male
Do we really need line managers?
They're needed, we can all pretend all us posties are totally honest types who will do everything we're supposed to do unsupervised but we all know in reality it's not the case. In terms of numbers though I agree; there's too many of them. There's too many work place coaches too.
-
postmanzach
- Posts: 515
- Joined: 18 Jul 2011, 15:01
- Gender: Male
Do we really need line managers?
We have a small office, one manager. He is sick today and it’s running fine except perhaps some lapsing not going out, but there’s talk of there should be a higher rate of pay for the PHG/cage guy that deals with admin. Anyone know if this is true?
-
LaggyBand
- Posts: 1065
- Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 14:07
- Gender: Male
Do we really need line managers?
There used to be a leadership allowance for PHGs I believe but they did away with it in favour of workplace coaches. In my experience though there are still at least perceived PHGs in offices all over, there is one at ours, who does stuff the Lino should probably be doing, but I think officially the business doesn’t recognise that grade anymore.deetee wrote:We have a small office, one manager. He is sick today and it’s running fine except perhaps some lapsing not going out, but there’s talk of there should be a higher rate of pay for the PHG/cage guy that deals with admin. Anyone know if this is true?
-
LaggyBand
- Posts: 1065
- Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 14:07
- Gender: Male
Do we really need line managers?
To the OP, this is what will happen going forward:
PDA tech will be iterated and added to, to the point where your manager is basically the PDA in your pocket, a bit like Amazon warehouses, with the PDAs being managed by a centralised DOM you don’t really need to see.
We’re talking future stuff but it’s where it’s going.
Your job will pop up in the morning, every part of your day will be scheduled waiting for your scan to confirm compliance to it, for example “I have now moved onto my frame”, “I have now entered my van”, with features such as “I suspect I will be going over because..”, and “I suspect I will be finishing early by...”, with workload allocated across PDAs, instant communication if human interaction is even required (there already), automatic warnings such as “PDAs detected stationary period without accompanying Break option selected, provide reason in box below...”, or “time slot missed at so and so address, give reason”, with a report at the end of your shift of how you did, and some three strike system to go along with it.
The tech is there already. Tell me why I’m wrong.
PDA tech will be iterated and added to, to the point where your manager is basically the PDA in your pocket, a bit like Amazon warehouses, with the PDAs being managed by a centralised DOM you don’t really need to see.
We’re talking future stuff but it’s where it’s going.
Your job will pop up in the morning, every part of your day will be scheduled waiting for your scan to confirm compliance to it, for example “I have now moved onto my frame”, “I have now entered my van”, with features such as “I suspect I will be going over because..”, and “I suspect I will be finishing early by...”, with workload allocated across PDAs, instant communication if human interaction is even required (there already), automatic warnings such as “PDAs detected stationary period without accompanying Break option selected, provide reason in box below...”, or “time slot missed at so and so address, give reason”, with a report at the end of your shift of how you did, and some three strike system to go along with it.
The tech is there already. Tell me why I’m wrong.
-
hothothot
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 422
- Joined: 06 Sep 2016, 13:15
- Gender: Male
Do we really need line managers?
You ain't wrong , I can see it coming and it ain't to far away.
-
crimson king
- Posts: 783
- Joined: 20 Aug 2017, 16:37
- Gender: Male
Do we really need line managers?
That is quite chilling. What a world we are becoming.LaggyBand wrote:To the OP, this is what will happen going forward:
PDA tech will be iterated and added to, to the point where your manager is basically the PDA in your pocket, a bit like Amazon warehouses, with the PDAs being managed by a centralised DOM you don’t really need to see.
We’re talking future stuff but it’s where it’s going.
Your job will pop up in the morning, every part of your day will be scheduled waiting for your scan to confirm compliance to it, for example “I have now moved onto my frame”, “I have now entered my van”, with features such as “I suspect I will be going over because..”, and “I suspect I will be finishing early by...”, with workload allocated across PDAs, instant communication if human interaction is even required (there already), automatic warnings such as “PDAs detected stationary period without accompanying Break option selected, provide reason in box below...”, or “time slot missed at so and so address, give reason”, with a report at the end of your shift of how you did, and some three strike system to go along with it.
The tech is there already. Tell me why I’m wrong.
Sooner or later, a beat dog bites.
-
LaggyBand
- Posts: 1065
- Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 14:07
- Gender: Male
Do we really need line managers?
Oh yeah I forgot the end bit. Silicon Valley right now are working on tech that have that “PDA” entirely in your mind.crimson king wrote:That is quite chilling. What a world we are becoming.LaggyBand wrote:To the OP, this is what will happen going forward:
PDA tech will be iterated and added to, to the point where your manager is basically the PDA in your pocket, a bit like Amazon warehouses, with the PDAs being managed by a centralised DOM you don’t really need to see.
We’re talking future stuff but it’s where it’s going.
Your job will pop up in the morning, every part of your day will be scheduled waiting for your scan to confirm compliance to it, for example “I have now moved onto my frame”, “I have now entered my van”, with features such as “I suspect I will be going over because..”, and “I suspect I will be finishing early by...”, with workload allocated across PDAs, instant communication if human interaction is even required (there already), automatic warnings such as “PDAs detected stationary period without accompanying Break option selected, provide reason in box below...”, or “time slot missed at so and so address, give reason”, with a report at the end of your shift of how you did, and some three strike system to go along with it.
The tech is there already. Tell me why I’m wrong.
So TL; DR
Depends what you mean by “need”. Managers will be replaced by automation through tech. So eventually, if we’re just talking Linos, i’d argue the answer is “No”.
-
crimson king
- Posts: 783
- Joined: 20 Aug 2017, 16:37
- Gender: Male
Do we really need line managers?
LaggyBand: 
Now you're just trying to give me nightmaresOh yeah I forgot the end bit. Silicon Valley right now are working on tech that have that “PDA” entirely in your mind.
Sooner or later, a beat dog bites.
-
Newbie001
- Posts: 474
- Joined: 30 May 2014, 17:29
- Gender: Male
Do we really need line managers?
Amazon already do this, hence why their staff turnover is massive. But most are agency so no-one gives a ****. And probably don't show up in they're figures.crimson king wrote:That is quite chilling. What a world we are becoming.LaggyBand wrote:To the OP, this is what will happen going forward:
PDA tech will be iterated and added to, to the point where your manager is basically the PDA in your pocket, a bit like Amazon warehouses, with the PDAs being managed by a centralised DOM you don’t really need to see.
We’re talking future stuff but it’s where it’s going.
Your job will pop up in the morning, every part of your day will be scheduled waiting for your scan to confirm compliance to it, for example “I have now moved onto my frame”, “I have now entered my van”, with features such as “I suspect I will be going over because..”, and “I suspect I will be finishing early by...”, with workload allocated across PDAs, instant communication if human interaction is even required (there already), automatic warnings such as “PDAs detected stationary period without accompanying Break option selected, provide reason in box below...”, or “time slot missed at so and so address, give reason”, with a report at the end of your shift of how you did, and some three strike system to go along with it.
The tech is there already. Tell me why I’m wrong.
It's coming, the only good thing is RM are so inept at doing anything it won't be for another 5 years.
-
luddite
- Posts: 451
- Joined: 06 May 2008, 20:24
Do we really need line managers?
So do the machines work for us or do we work for the machines?
What a f***ing future!
What a f***ing future!
-
LaggyBand
- Posts: 1065
- Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 14:07
- Gender: Male
Do we really need line managers?
Have a look at Boston Dynamics on YouTube. The one going across loose rocks and snow is really good at not striking.luddite wrote:So do the machines work for us or do we work for the machines?
What a f***ing future!
-
LaggyBand
- Posts: 1065
- Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 14:07
- Gender: Male
Do we really need line managers?
Haha sorry. Let’s just wave it away as madness. Even though.. kinda..little bit..true?crimson king wrote:LaggyBand:Now you're just trying to give me nightmaresOh yeah I forgot the end bit. Silicon Valley right now are working on tech that have that “PDA” entirely in your mind.
At least we can say you’re fine if you’ve only got five years left.
-
Navalron
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1044
- Joined: 12 Aug 2017, 10:40
- Gender: Male
- Location: Glasgow
Do we really need line managers?
No no no.

-
rambo1
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 3266
- Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
- Gender: Male
Do we really need line managers?
Btw ,linos don't get paid 30k and yes, we do need them, but not so many and not full time. As one said, some posties try to toss it off and need someone to remind them what they should be doing.