ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Do we really need line managers?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
hero22
Posts: 596
Joined: 21 Mar 2016, 19:48
Gender: Male

Do we really need line managers?

Post by hero22 »

The guy in the cage in our office who does specials etc is the main man, even the dom gets advice of him. Top man he is too. Our dom today spent the day getting a new alloy and tyre put on his motor and took his assistant along with him. No joking, yet theres an argument over 30 mins of overtime lol.

How can one company collect so many useless , lazy excuses for human beings (talking about doms lol incase anyone is offended) ?
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

Do we really need line managers?

Post by Seymour Buts »

They're needed, we can all pretend all us posties are totally honest types who will do everything we're supposed to do unsupervised but we all know in reality it's not the case. In terms of numbers though I agree; there's too many of them. There's too many work place coaches too.
postmanzach
Posts: 515
Joined: 18 Jul 2011, 15:01
Gender: Male

Do we really need line managers?

Post by postmanzach »

We have a small office, one manager. He is sick today and it’s running fine except perhaps some lapsing not going out, but there’s talk of there should be a higher rate of pay for the PHG/cage guy that deals with admin. Anyone know if this is true?
LaggyBand
Posts: 1065
Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 14:07
Gender: Male

Do we really need line managers?

Post by LaggyBand »

deetee wrote:We have a small office, one manager. He is sick today and it’s running fine except perhaps some lapsing not going out, but there’s talk of there should be a higher rate of pay for the PHG/cage guy that deals with admin. Anyone know if this is true?
There used to be a leadership allowance for PHGs I believe but they did away with it in favour of workplace coaches. In my experience though there are still at least perceived PHGs in offices all over, there is one at ours, who does stuff the Lino should probably be doing, but I think officially the business doesn’t recognise that grade anymore.
LaggyBand
Posts: 1065
Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 14:07
Gender: Male

Do we really need line managers?

Post by LaggyBand »

To the OP, this is what will happen going forward:

PDA tech will be iterated and added to, to the point where your manager is basically the PDA in your pocket, a bit like Amazon warehouses, with the PDAs being managed by a centralised DOM you don’t really need to see.

We’re talking future stuff but it’s where it’s going.

Your job will pop up in the morning, every part of your day will be scheduled waiting for your scan to confirm compliance to it, for example “I have now moved onto my frame”, “I have now entered my van”, with features such as “I suspect I will be going over because..”, and “I suspect I will be finishing early by...”, with workload allocated across PDAs, instant communication if human interaction is even required (there already), automatic warnings such as “PDAs detected stationary period without accompanying Break option selected, provide reason in box below...”, or “time slot missed at so and so address, give reason”, with a report at the end of your shift of how you did, and some three strike system to go along with it.

The tech is there already. Tell me why I’m wrong.
hothothot
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 422
Joined: 06 Sep 2016, 13:15
Gender: Male

Do we really need line managers?

Post by hothothot »

You ain't wrong , I can see it coming and it ain't to far away.
crimson king
Posts: 783
Joined: 20 Aug 2017, 16:37
Gender: Male

Do we really need line managers?

Post by crimson king »

LaggyBand wrote:To the OP, this is what will happen going forward:

PDA tech will be iterated and added to, to the point where your manager is basically the PDA in your pocket, a bit like Amazon warehouses, with the PDAs being managed by a centralised DOM you don’t really need to see.

We’re talking future stuff but it’s where it’s going.

Your job will pop up in the morning, every part of your day will be scheduled waiting for your scan to confirm compliance to it, for example “I have now moved onto my frame”, “I have now entered my van”, with features such as “I suspect I will be going over because..”, and “I suspect I will be finishing early by...”, with workload allocated across PDAs, instant communication if human interaction is even required (there already), automatic warnings such as “PDAs detected stationary period without accompanying Break option selected, provide reason in box below...”, or “time slot missed at so and so address, give reason”, with a report at the end of your shift of how you did, and some three strike system to go along with it.

The tech is there already. Tell me why I’m wrong.
That is quite chilling. What a world we are becoming.
Sooner or later, a beat dog bites.
LaggyBand
Posts: 1065
Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 14:07
Gender: Male

Do we really need line managers?

Post by LaggyBand »

crimson king wrote:
LaggyBand wrote:To the OP, this is what will happen going forward:

PDA tech will be iterated and added to, to the point where your manager is basically the PDA in your pocket, a bit like Amazon warehouses, with the PDAs being managed by a centralised DOM you don’t really need to see.

We’re talking future stuff but it’s where it’s going.

Your job will pop up in the morning, every part of your day will be scheduled waiting for your scan to confirm compliance to it, for example “I have now moved onto my frame”, “I have now entered my van”, with features such as “I suspect I will be going over because..”, and “I suspect I will be finishing early by...”, with workload allocated across PDAs, instant communication if human interaction is even required (there already), automatic warnings such as “PDAs detected stationary period without accompanying Break option selected, provide reason in box below...”, or “time slot missed at so and so address, give reason”, with a report at the end of your shift of how you did, and some three strike system to go along with it.

The tech is there already. Tell me why I’m wrong.
That is quite chilling. What a world we are becoming.
Oh yeah I forgot the end bit. Silicon Valley right now are working on tech that have that “PDA” entirely in your mind.

So TL; DR

Depends what you mean by “need”. Managers will be replaced by automation through tech. So eventually, if we’re just talking Linos, i’d argue the answer is “No”.
crimson king
Posts: 783
Joined: 20 Aug 2017, 16:37
Gender: Male

Do we really need line managers?

Post by crimson king »

LaggyBand:
Oh yeah I forgot the end bit. Silicon Valley right now are working on tech that have that “PDA” entirely in your mind.
Now you're just trying to give me nightmares :no no
Sooner or later, a beat dog bites.
Newbie001
Posts: 474
Joined: 30 May 2014, 17:29
Gender: Male

Do we really need line managers?

Post by Newbie001 »

crimson king wrote:
LaggyBand wrote:To the OP, this is what will happen going forward:

PDA tech will be iterated and added to, to the point where your manager is basically the PDA in your pocket, a bit like Amazon warehouses, with the PDAs being managed by a centralised DOM you don’t really need to see.

We’re talking future stuff but it’s where it’s going.

Your job will pop up in the morning, every part of your day will be scheduled waiting for your scan to confirm compliance to it, for example “I have now moved onto my frame”, “I have now entered my van”, with features such as “I suspect I will be going over because..”, and “I suspect I will be finishing early by...”, with workload allocated across PDAs, instant communication if human interaction is even required (there already), automatic warnings such as “PDAs detected stationary period without accompanying Break option selected, provide reason in box below...”, or “time slot missed at so and so address, give reason”, with a report at the end of your shift of how you did, and some three strike system to go along with it.

The tech is there already. Tell me why I’m wrong.
That is quite chilling. What a world we are becoming.
Amazon already do this, hence why their staff turnover is massive. But most are agency so no-one gives a ****. And probably don't show up in they're figures.
It's coming, the only good thing is RM are so inept at doing anything it won't be for another 5 years.
luddite
Posts: 451
Joined: 06 May 2008, 20:24

Do we really need line managers?

Post by luddite »

So do the machines work for us or do we work for the machines?
What a f***ing future!
LaggyBand
Posts: 1065
Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 14:07
Gender: Male

Do we really need line managers?

Post by LaggyBand »

luddite wrote:So do the machines work for us or do we work for the machines?
What a f***ing future!
Have a look at Boston Dynamics on YouTube. The one going across loose rocks and snow is really good at not striking.
LaggyBand
Posts: 1065
Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 14:07
Gender: Male

Do we really need line managers?

Post by LaggyBand »

crimson king wrote:LaggyBand:
Oh yeah I forgot the end bit. Silicon Valley right now are working on tech that have that “PDA” entirely in your mind.
Now you're just trying to give me nightmares :no no
Haha sorry. Let’s just wave it away as madness. Even though.. kinda..little bit..true?

At least we can say you’re fine if you’ve only got five years left.
Navalron
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1044
Joined: 12 Aug 2017, 10:40
Gender: Male
Location: Glasgow

Do we really need line managers?

Post by Navalron »

No no no. :cuppa :cuppa
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

Do we really need line managers?

Post by rambo1 »

Btw ,linos don't get paid 30k and yes, we do need them, but not so many and not full time. As one said, some posties try to toss it off and need someone to remind them what they should be doing.