ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Health & safety ?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Jpro747
Posts: 1342
Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
Gender: Male

Health & safety ?

Post by Jpro747 »

wacko74 wrote:They bang on and on about H&S in these very hot conditions... then they give us double lapsing and 20 mins WTL this morning ,delaying us from getting out that bit earlier and ensuring we're out for longer in the hottest part of the day.
They want us to double lapse every day this week. They’re paying people to come in early to do IPS and prep the lapsed rounds so we can can get out earlier. This means you’re outside for longer and walking further as well. It’s not right, especially in these temperatures.
comeracing
Posts: 806
Joined: 28 Nov 2010, 20:58
Gender: Male

Health & safety ?

Post by comeracing »

CPTNemoUK wrote:Like someone said above. Hi viz is just for the yard. I take it off at the start of my first loop.
Are you sure weve been told to wear it on delivery
Bahia Feliz
Posts: 1169
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 21:04
Gender: Male

Health & safety ?

Post by Bahia Feliz »

comeracing wrote:
Are you sure weve been told to wear it on delivery
Hi vis on with no shirt underneath :nana
CPTNemoUK
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 707
Joined: 03 Oct 2013, 10:13
Gender: Male

Health & safety ?

Post by CPTNemoUK »

comeracing wrote:
CPTNemoUK wrote:Like someone said above. Hi viz is just for the yard. I take it off at the start of my first loop.
Are you sure weve been told to wear it on delivery
For certain our dom says you can take it off while out on delivery. But we must wear it in the yard (Prob insurance reasons). Also had a random check from royal mail security and they never mentioned the hi viz. Didn't have a dog peg though. It was in the van oops :left:
hothothot
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 422
Joined: 06 Sep 2016, 13:15
Gender: Male

Health & safety ?

Post by hothothot »

Just wear your hi Vis and royal mail shoes nothing else. But remember suntan lotion on certain areas.
robbertwhitton
Posts: 1132
Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
Gender: Male

Health & safety ?

Post by robbertwhitton »

Bahia Feliz wrote:
comeracing wrote:
Are you sure weve been told to wear it on delivery
Hi vis on with no shirt underneath :nana
Well he’s wrong yet again,maybe wear the cagoule and storm coat and really get a sweat on in this weather,this weather is unprecedented to say the least,and a common sense approach is needed,but no doubt won’t be forthcoming from up above
Justanotherstar
Posts: 351
Joined: 28 Dec 2012, 10:43
Gender: Male

Health & safety ?

Post by Justanotherstar »

We need vests to show off the guns!!! could you wear JUST the hi vis? cause that could work :chuckle
panch1989
Posts: 104
Joined: 25 Jul 2014, 07:44
Gender: Male

Health & safety ?

Post by panch1989 »

Never worn the vest on delivery, only an idiot would layer up in this weather
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

Health & safety ?

Post by NewPostieUK »

kookoo32 wrote:The silver Royal Mail logo on the back seems to be a heat magnet as well. I'm constantly asking my van share partner if I have a sweat patch where the logo is (classy I know).
A patch? I don't have patches. Every part of my shirt is soaked after about 30 mins. The hi - vis makes no difference, I sweat anyway. In fact I prefer it as it hides the sweat a little.
crimson king
Posts: 783
Joined: 20 Aug 2017, 16:37
Gender: Male

Health & safety ?

Post by crimson king »

Justanotherstar wrote:We need vests to show off the guns!!! could you wear JUST the hi vis? cause that could work :chuckle
I was seriously considering this today, after I undid yet another shirt button (only two left and it's flapping in the breeze!) and was still roasting.

If it gets any hotter I'll be debating even more extreme options... Mankini and RM trainers, anyone? Finished off with issue floppy brimmed sun hat :nana

Thank Christ it's Saturday tomorrow. Half two and cider o clock can't come quick enough this week.
Sooner or later, a beat dog bites.
robbertwhitton
Posts: 1132
Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
Gender: Male

Health & safety ?

Post by robbertwhitton »

crimson king wrote:
Justanotherstar wrote:We need vests to show off the guns!!! could you wear JUST the hi vis? cause that could work :chuckle
I was seriously considering this today, after I undid yet another shirt button (only two left and it's flapping in the breeze!) and was still roasting.

If it gets any hotter I'll be debating even more extreme options... Mankini and RM trainers, anyone? Finished off with issue floppy brimmed sun hat :nana

Thank Christ it's Saturday tomorrow. Half two and cider o clock can't come quick enough this week.
Ha!,, hilarious thought,a little light relief at the end of yet another fun packed week,enjoy the weekend whenever it starts with your family and stay cool
crimson king
Posts: 783
Joined: 20 Aug 2017, 16:37
Gender: Male

Health & safety ?

Post by crimson king »

Thanks buddy and I hope you and yours have a good one too :thumbup
Sooner or later, a beat dog bites.
kookoo32
Posts: 187
Joined: 10 Oct 2008, 20:34
Gender: Male
Location: scotland

Health & safety ?

Post by kookoo32 »

comeracing wrote:
CPTNemoUK wrote:Like someone said above. Hi viz is just for the yard. I take it off at the start of my first loop.
Are you sure weve been told to wear it on delivery
Same with us. The managers actually go out patrolling in their car checking to see if you are wearing it on delivery :roll: The good news is I mightn't get run down as I'm wearing it, the bad news is I might collapse with the heat due to wearing it. I felt sick out on delivery last week as it was so hot.
panch1989
Posts: 104
Joined: 25 Jul 2014, 07:44
Gender: Male

Health & safety ?

Post by panch1989 »

You don't have to wear it out on delivery! Don't listen to your management. Only need it on royal mail property.
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Health & safety ?

Post by Celgar »

I generally only wear the hi-vis in the winter when it's cold on top of the Harrington jacket and blue sleeveless waistcoat. Quite a while back I'm sure RM were going to issue a new uniform design in brown and grey. Hasn't materialized yet though.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.