ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Driving test

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Chewster
Posts: 527
Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
Gender: Male

Driving test

Post by Chewster »

Mine was in our lone LWB high top van and we drove back country roads for about 3 hours, and had about an hour before that sitting in the canteen watching videos and powerpoint presentations.

I'm a regular volunteer for overtime which is why they sent me out in the big van, most other people did it in the Peugeot Partner vans.

But basically if you're not a moron you're fine lol
Mobey
Posts: 291
Joined: 26 Jul 2016, 11:54
Gender: Male

Driving test

Post by Mobey »

You might find you'll be told you're working your hours 8-12 for example. You're on the way out of the door and that jumped up young faced arrogant "manager", calling you back to deliver large bundles of mail in three different area of the city and 15 parcels too!
Rapidryan88
Posts: 167
Joined: 26 Apr 2018, 13:04
Gender: Male

Driving test

Post by Rapidryan88 »

Chewster wrote:Mine was in our lone LWB high top van and we drove back country roads for about 3 hours, and had about an hour before that sitting in the canteen watching videos and powerpoint presentations.

I'm a regular volunteer for overtime which is why they sent me out in the big van, most other people did it in the Peugeot Partner vans.

But basically if you're not a moron you're fine lol
Oh that’s great :) thank you, I was hoping it would be a smaller van tbh, only time will tell!
Chewster
Posts: 527
Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
Gender: Male

Driving test

Post by Chewster »

Rapidryan88 wrote:
Chewster wrote:Mine was in our lone LWB high top van and we drove back country roads for about 3 hours, and had about an hour before that sitting in the canteen watching videos and powerpoint presentations.

I'm a regular volunteer for overtime which is why they sent me out in the big van, most other people did it in the Peugeot Partner vans.

But basically if you're not a moron you're fine lol
Oh that’s great :) thank you, I was hoping it would be a smaller van tbh, only time will tell!
I would guess that it probably will just be in a smaller van unless they think they'll need you to be driving a big van at some point. Our big van is very rarely used tbh, I think I can count the amount of times I've driven it after my assessment on my fingers! So if your office is anything like mine, then I'd say with 99% certainty it'll be a smaller van for you :thumbup

Let us know how it goes!
Rapidryan88
Posts: 167
Joined: 26 Apr 2018, 13:04
Gender: Male

Driving test

Post by Rapidryan88 »

Chewster wrote:
Rapidryan88 wrote:
Chewster wrote:Mine was in our lone LWB high top van and we drove back country roads for about 3 hours, and had about an hour before that sitting in the canteen watching videos and powerpoint presentations.

I'm a regular volunteer for overtime which is why they sent me out in the big van, most other people did it in the Peugeot Partner vans.

But basically if you're not a moron you're fine lol
Oh that’s great :) thank you, I was hoping it would be a smaller van tbh, only time will tell!
I would guess that it probably will just be in a smaller van unless they think they'll need you to be driving a big van at some point. Our big van is very rarely used tbh, I think I can count the amount of times I've driven it after my assessment on my fingers! So if your office is anything like mine, then I'd say with 99% certainty it'll be a smaller van for you :thumbup

Let us know how it goes!
Went decent enough, over speed limit few times. Van takes some getting used to, finished at 10:30 so not sure how that works out didn’t get w chance to ask a manager I mean I assume I’ll be paid my full hours or to 2:25? Overall nice and easy
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72759
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Driving test

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Rapidryan88 wrote:
Chewster wrote:Mine was in our lone LWB high top van and we drove back country roads for about 3 hours, and had about an hour before that sitting in the canteen watching videos and powerpoint presentations.

I'm a regular volunteer for overtime which is why they sent me out in the big van, most other people did it in the Peugeot Partner vans.

But basically if you're not a moron you're fine lol
Oh that’s great :) thank you, I was hoping it would be a smaller van tbh, only time will tell!

In Royal Mail we call it a change over - not sure why.

However, it does mean when you pass the assessment you can only drive vans up to that size, you can't drive anything larger until you have been assessed on them

For instance, if you get a standard CDV Van then you won't be able to drive the transits and high top size ones.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Rapidryan88
Posts: 167
Joined: 26 Apr 2018, 13:04
Gender: Male

Driving test

Post by Rapidryan88 »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
Rapidryan88 wrote:
Chewster wrote:Mine was in our lone LWB high top van and we drove back country roads for about 3 hours, and had about an hour before that sitting in the canteen watching videos and powerpoint presentations.

I'm a regular volunteer for overtime which is why they sent me out in the big van, most other people did it in the Peugeot Partner vans.

But basically if you're not a moron you're fine lol
Oh that’s great :) thank you, I was hoping it would be a smaller van tbh, only time will tell!

In Royal Mail we call it a change over - not sure why.

However, it does mean when you pass the assessment you can only drive vans up to that size, you can't drive anything larger until you have been assessed on them

For instance, if you get a standard CDV Van then you won't be able to drive the transits and high top size ones.
Thank you, my instructor went through that with me and I’m glad cause driving anything bigger I wouldn’t feel comfortable lol, I drove a transit today.
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Driving test

Post by Celgar »

I think most larger vans were got rid of when we lost the bicycles and the 'firms' walks as they were known were deemed to be not required.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
Chewster
Posts: 527
Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
Gender: Male

Driving test

Post by Chewster »

Celgar wrote:I think most larger vans were got rid of when we lost the bicycles and the 'firms' walks as they were known were deemed to be not required.
I think that sounds about right. They've been trying to get rid of our big van for ages, it only gets used if there aren't any other vans available, or for the once in a blue moon occasion where it's actually needed.
citypostie
Posts: 895
Joined: 08 Apr 2009, 19:42
Gender: Male

Driving test

Post by citypostie »

Chewster wrote:
Celgar wrote:I think most larger vans were got rid of when we lost the bicycles and the 'firms' walks as they were known were deemed to be not required.
I think that sounds about right. They've been trying to get rid of our big van for ages, it only gets used if there aren't any other vans available, or for the once in a blue moon occasion where it's actually needed.
Does anybody still drive the hightops? I used to but they got rid of them to save on the £26 driving allowance we used to get! We could do with them now days with all the oversized parcels we get. Also used to like driving the crew bus to drop all the lads on delivery. A friend of mine said she thought it was really sad when she saw them all getting out and walking in different directions, think she thought they'd be lonely.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72759
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Driving test

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Starburst - I always had the A team playing in my head when I came across it.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
MAILMAN84
Posts: 186
Joined: 04 May 2008, 14:05

Driving test

Post by MAILMAN84 »

doorstepped wrote:it's not a test as such but an assesment to see if you are upto the standard to drive for RM.
So just drive straight into the wall and you'll pass fine
Chewster
Posts: 527
Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
Gender: Male

Driving test

Post by Chewster »

citypostie wrote:
Chewster wrote:
Celgar wrote:I think most larger vans were got rid of when we lost the bicycles and the 'firms' walks as they were known were deemed to be not required.
I think that sounds about right. They've been trying to get rid of our big van for ages, it only gets used if there aren't any other vans available, or for the once in a blue moon occasion where it's actually needed.
Does anybody still drive the hightops? I used to but they got rid of them to save on the £26 driving allowance we used to get! We could do with them now days with all the oversized parcels we get. Also used to like driving the crew bus to drop all the lads on delivery. A friend of mine said she thought it was really sad when she saw them all getting out and walking in different directions, think she thought they'd be lonely.
We had talk not too long ago of bringing back a "crew bus" for an outlying delivery office that has been absorbed into ours. The idea was quickly scrapped...
LaggyBand
Posts: 1065
Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 14:07
Gender: Male

Driving test

Post by LaggyBand »

Celgar wrote:I think most larger vans were got rid of when we lost the bicycles and the 'firms' walks as they were known were deemed to be not required.
Since when did we get rid of bicycles?

And who won? The guy saying you should get paid, or the guy saying you shouldn’t?
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Driving test

Post by Celgar »

Bicycles have been gone a few years I think. Some places such as Cambridge held onto them a bit longer but I think they are all gone now.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.