ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Driving test
-
Chewster
- Posts: 527
- Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
- Gender: Male
Driving test
Mine was in our lone LWB high top van and we drove back country roads for about 3 hours, and had about an hour before that sitting in the canteen watching videos and powerpoint presentations.
I'm a regular volunteer for overtime which is why they sent me out in the big van, most other people did it in the Peugeot Partner vans.
But basically if you're not a moron you're fine lol
I'm a regular volunteer for overtime which is why they sent me out in the big van, most other people did it in the Peugeot Partner vans.
But basically if you're not a moron you're fine lol
-
Mobey
- Posts: 291
- Joined: 26 Jul 2016, 11:54
- Gender: Male
Driving test
You might find you'll be told you're working your hours 8-12 for example. You're on the way out of the door and that jumped up young faced arrogant "manager", calling you back to deliver large bundles of mail in three different area of the city and 15 parcels too!
-
Rapidryan88
- Posts: 167
- Joined: 26 Apr 2018, 13:04
- Gender: Male
Driving test
Oh that’s great :) thank you, I was hoping it would be a smaller van tbh, only time will tell!Chewster wrote:Mine was in our lone LWB high top van and we drove back country roads for about 3 hours, and had about an hour before that sitting in the canteen watching videos and powerpoint presentations.
I'm a regular volunteer for overtime which is why they sent me out in the big van, most other people did it in the Peugeot Partner vans.
But basically if you're not a moron you're fine lol
-
Chewster
- Posts: 527
- Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
- Gender: Male
Driving test
I would guess that it probably will just be in a smaller van unless they think they'll need you to be driving a big van at some point. Our big van is very rarely used tbh, I think I can count the amount of times I've driven it after my assessment on my fingers! So if your office is anything like mine, then I'd say with 99% certainty it'll be a smaller van for youRapidryan88 wrote:Oh that’s great :) thank you, I was hoping it would be a smaller van tbh, only time will tell!Chewster wrote:Mine was in our lone LWB high top van and we drove back country roads for about 3 hours, and had about an hour before that sitting in the canteen watching videos and powerpoint presentations.
I'm a regular volunteer for overtime which is why they sent me out in the big van, most other people did it in the Peugeot Partner vans.
But basically if you're not a moron you're fine lol
Let us know how it goes!
-
Rapidryan88
- Posts: 167
- Joined: 26 Apr 2018, 13:04
- Gender: Male
Driving test
Went decent enough, over speed limit few times. Van takes some getting used to, finished at 10:30 so not sure how that works out didn’t get w chance to ask a manager I mean I assume I’ll be paid my full hours or to 2:25? Overall nice and easyChewster wrote:I would guess that it probably will just be in a smaller van unless they think they'll need you to be driving a big van at some point. Our big van is very rarely used tbh, I think I can count the amount of times I've driven it after my assessment on my fingers! So if your office is anything like mine, then I'd say with 99% certainty it'll be a smaller van for youRapidryan88 wrote:Oh that’s great :) thank you, I was hoping it would be a smaller van tbh, only time will tell!Chewster wrote:Mine was in our lone LWB high top van and we drove back country roads for about 3 hours, and had about an hour before that sitting in the canteen watching videos and powerpoint presentations.
I'm a regular volunteer for overtime which is why they sent me out in the big van, most other people did it in the Peugeot Partner vans.
But basically if you're not a moron you're fine lol![]()
Let us know how it goes!
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72759
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Driving test
Rapidryan88 wrote:Oh that’s great :) thank you, I was hoping it would be a smaller van tbh, only time will tell!Chewster wrote:Mine was in our lone LWB high top van and we drove back country roads for about 3 hours, and had about an hour before that sitting in the canteen watching videos and powerpoint presentations.
I'm a regular volunteer for overtime which is why they sent me out in the big van, most other people did it in the Peugeot Partner vans.
But basically if you're not a moron you're fine lol
In Royal Mail we call it a change over - not sure why.
However, it does mean when you pass the assessment you can only drive vans up to that size, you can't drive anything larger until you have been assessed on them
For instance, if you get a standard CDV Van then you won't be able to drive the transits and high top size ones.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
Rapidryan88
- Posts: 167
- Joined: 26 Apr 2018, 13:04
- Gender: Male
Driving test
Thank you, my instructor went through that with me and I’m glad cause driving anything bigger I wouldn’t feel comfortable lol, I drove a transit today.TrueBlueTerrier wrote:Rapidryan88 wrote:Oh that’s great :) thank you, I was hoping it would be a smaller van tbh, only time will tell!Chewster wrote:Mine was in our lone LWB high top van and we drove back country roads for about 3 hours, and had about an hour before that sitting in the canteen watching videos and powerpoint presentations.
I'm a regular volunteer for overtime which is why they sent me out in the big van, most other people did it in the Peugeot Partner vans.
But basically if you're not a moron you're fine lol
In Royal Mail we call it a change over - not sure why.
However, it does mean when you pass the assessment you can only drive vans up to that size, you can't drive anything larger until you have been assessed on them
For instance, if you get a standard CDV Van then you won't be able to drive the transits and high top size ones.
-
Celgar
- Posts: 2795
- Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
- Gender: Male
Driving test
I think most larger vans were got rid of when we lost the bicycles and the 'firms' walks as they were known were deemed to be not required.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
-
Chewster
- Posts: 527
- Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
- Gender: Male
Driving test
I think that sounds about right. They've been trying to get rid of our big van for ages, it only gets used if there aren't any other vans available, or for the once in a blue moon occasion where it's actually needed.Celgar wrote:I think most larger vans were got rid of when we lost the bicycles and the 'firms' walks as they were known were deemed to be not required.
-
citypostie
- Posts: 895
- Joined: 08 Apr 2009, 19:42
- Gender: Male
Driving test
Does anybody still drive the hightops? I used to but they got rid of them to save on the £26 driving allowance we used to get! We could do with them now days with all the oversized parcels we get. Also used to like driving the crew bus to drop all the lads on delivery. A friend of mine said she thought it was really sad when she saw them all getting out and walking in different directions, think she thought they'd be lonely.Chewster wrote:I think that sounds about right. They've been trying to get rid of our big van for ages, it only gets used if there aren't any other vans available, or for the once in a blue moon occasion where it's actually needed.Celgar wrote:I think most larger vans were got rid of when we lost the bicycles and the 'firms' walks as they were known were deemed to be not required.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72759
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Driving test
Starburst - I always had the A team playing in my head when I came across it.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
MAILMAN84
- Posts: 186
- Joined: 04 May 2008, 14:05
Driving test
So just drive straight into the wall and you'll pass finedoorstepped wrote:it's not a test as such but an assesment to see if you are upto the standard to drive for RM.
-
Chewster
- Posts: 527
- Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
- Gender: Male
Driving test
We had talk not too long ago of bringing back a "crew bus" for an outlying delivery office that has been absorbed into ours. The idea was quickly scrapped...citypostie wrote:Does anybody still drive the hightops? I used to but they got rid of them to save on the £26 driving allowance we used to get! We could do with them now days with all the oversized parcels we get. Also used to like driving the crew bus to drop all the lads on delivery. A friend of mine said she thought it was really sad when she saw them all getting out and walking in different directions, think she thought they'd be lonely.Chewster wrote:I think that sounds about right. They've been trying to get rid of our big van for ages, it only gets used if there aren't any other vans available, or for the once in a blue moon occasion where it's actually needed.Celgar wrote:I think most larger vans were got rid of when we lost the bicycles and the 'firms' walks as they were known were deemed to be not required.
-
LaggyBand
- Posts: 1065
- Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 14:07
- Gender: Male
Driving test
Since when did we get rid of bicycles?Celgar wrote:I think most larger vans were got rid of when we lost the bicycles and the 'firms' walks as they were known were deemed to be not required.
And who won? The guy saying you should get paid, or the guy saying you shouldn’t?
-
Celgar
- Posts: 2795
- Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
- Gender: Male
Driving test
Bicycles have been gone a few years I think. Some places such as Cambridge held onto them a bit longer but I think they are all gone now.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.