p5aul789 wrote:Another incident; A front door was open, so I threw the mail (just one letter) on the floor. A woman in her 60's and (looking rather unfit) was standing behind the door.
I didn't see her there.
"Iv'e got to bend down and pick that up now" she said, and repeated that again. I replied, "Sorry I didn't see you"
"Stop moaning" I said out of earshot as I walked away, "the exercise will do you good".
I had something similar happen. Some time near Christmas, and the front door was slightly open, and obviously you can't push the mail through the letterbox if the door isn't shut or you just push their front door open. So I leaned over and dropped the mail through the gap between the door and the wall, and as I was walking down the drive, the woman inside came out and started yelling "do you mind not throwing my letters into my house??". I wasn't even sure if she was being serious so I just said "I didn't throw them at all", to which she replied "here's a Christmas tip for you - be a better postman".
The most annoying thing on a round I've done was the vertical, spring-loaded letterbox at eye level with a knocker over the top. You need one hand to hold the bundle, one to hold the post, one to lift the knocker out the way and another to hold the flap open (

), all at eye level which makes it even more difficult. Even if you put the bundle on the floor, it's still really difficult to post letters through, which is weird considering the one and only purpose of a letterbox is for a postman to put letters through.