ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Just want to work my hours

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
peshwaarinaan
Posts: 381
Joined: 29 May 2015, 11:35
Gender: Female

Just want to work my hours

Post by peshwaarinaan »

I'm in the same boat. Waiting for the battle tomorrow when I go in at 9 and tell them I'm finishing at 2.
lightningpostman
Posts: 271
Joined: 22 Apr 2015, 20:54
Gender: Male

Just want to work my hours

Post by lightningpostman »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communi ... 36&t=18563 OVERRUNNING DELIVERIES OPG NOTIFICATION PROCEDURE

WHICH NEEDS TO BE REVISED

ITS A CONSTANT BATTLE
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

Just want to work my hours

Post by rambo1 »

Tell the most reasonable manager in your office that for personal reasons you have to be finished by 2pm. You don't have to go into detail. Make the most of your 2pm finish time, because it isn't going to last as well, it'll be 3 or 4pm soon enough.surpised it's not 3pm already. GL. Remember, you're a human being and should be treated as one. Have you any work place coaches with the gumption to stand up for you?
awesomepenguin
Posts: 122
Joined: 14 Sep 2016, 20:14
Gender: Male

Just want to work my hours

Post by awesomepenguin »

The first paragraph of the "Overrunning Delivery Procedure" says:

In order to comply with our Licence conditions we must ensure that that we adhere to the Universal Service Obligation (USO) of “at least one delivery of relevant postal packets is made every working day to the home or premises of every individual or other person in the United Kingdom or to such identifiable points for the delivery of relevant postal packets within that area as Postcomm may approve in writing”.

Well here is an idea....how about Royal Mail staffing their delivery offices properly and stop relying on overtime, then we will adhere to the USO!

It's not rocket science! :arrrghhh
Pathfinder
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 208
Joined: 17 Aug 2015, 13:50
Gender: Male

Just want to work my hours

Post by Pathfinder »

Out of all the part timers in our office there’s only one that gets his round prepped and he’s a buddy of the DOM, coincidence?

Is there anything in writing that says P/Ters should be getting their rounds prepped? Would be interesting to read if there was!

I feel your pain OP most of us have been there and nothing gets done about it.
Matt123
Posts: 45
Joined: 07 Nov 2017, 20:12
Gender: Male

Just want to work my hours

Post by Matt123 »

Thanks for the advice guys
The Dom is uselessin our office
The full timers tell our dom they ain't gonna do any over Time if they have to prep
"IVE been here for 15 years i ain't doing it" and if they are asked to do it they say that its harassment
" why you asking me and not him"
I've never been on a walk or drive for more then 4 or 5 days and thrown around the office (which I know is my job) but they have got to realise that I can't complete a new walk or a walk I've done 3 months ago for a couple of days and complete as well as throwing up my walk.
I've had to start at 7.00 to get my work done
I don't know where in stand some guys help me out but so I uselly do as I am asked
I know I'm gonna snap soon and problem lose my job.
peshwaarinaan
Posts: 381
Joined: 29 May 2015, 11:35
Gender: Female

Just want to work my hours

Post by peshwaarinaan »

I told them this morning that I wasn't going over today. I left a load of mail in and finished on time. Happy days :Very Happy
Tomolo208
Posts: 102
Joined: 19 Feb 2017, 07:43
Gender: Male

Just want to work my hours

Post by Tomolo208 »

Matt don't let it get you down and it reallyyyyyy isn't worth getting yourself in bother by over reacting. It does get better I promise, but you need to start cutting off (otherwise things won't change for you). Management need the mail delivered. If you start refusing overtime they will ensure your job is prepped.

It's ok to stand up for yourself. Speak to your union rep or area rep.
Matt123
Posts: 45
Joined: 07 Nov 2017, 20:12
Gender: Male

Just want to work my hours

Post by Matt123 »

Tomolo208 wrote:Matt don't let it get you down and it reallyyyyyy isn't worth getting yourself in bother by over reacting. It does get better I promise, but you need to start cutting off (otherwise things won't change for you). Management need the mail delivered. If you start refusing overtime they will ensure your job is prepped.

It's ok to stand up for yourself. Speak to your union rep or area rep.
Thank you
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72759
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Just want to work my hours

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

In fact, I would go one further and say that its almost a requirement to say "No" at least once to managers in Royal Mail, even if its just to show you aren't a walkover. By all means be flexible, accommodating and willing, but don't be a patsy.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
superports
Posts: 171
Joined: 05 Nov 2009, 09:15
Gender: Male

Just want to work my hours

Post by superports »

I agree wholeheartedly with TBT, it's good to say no, even just to show them that they can't rely on you to cover their shortcomings. We need to get out of the mindset that completing a delivery is our responsibility, it's not! I used to work in a factory, and once my finish time came, I was out of there. I didn't care if whatever it was I was producing was finished or not. Somehow RM instil a fear in new starts along with a belief that we have to cover their ass daily.
cpsteve
Posts: 699
Joined: 20 Apr 2016, 15:46
Gender: Male

Just want to work my hours

Post by cpsteve »

superports wrote:I agree wholeheartedly with TBT, it's good to say no, even just to show them that they can't rely on you to cover their shortcomings. We need to get out of the mindset that completing a delivery is our responsibility, it's not! I used to work in a factory, and once my finish time came, I was out of there. I didn't care if whatever it was I was producing was finished or not. Somehow RM instil a fear in new starts along with a belief that we have to cover their ass daily.
So you employ someone and he goes home early on a regular basis then when you are busy he downs tools do you- A stop letting him go home early/find him other work/more work to do or B let him take the p###. Give and take is common sense if you are working over 39hrs then your workload needs looking at, you have every right to get it adjusted and cutting off is the only way to bring attention to it of course you must inform your manager before you leave the office.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72759
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Just want to work my hours

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

cpsteve wrote:
superports wrote:I agree wholeheartedly with TBT, it's good to say no, even just to show them that they can't rely on you to cover their shortcomings. We need to get out of the mindset that completing a delivery is our responsibility, it's not! I used to work in a factory, and once my finish time came, I was out of there. I didn't care if whatever it was I was producing was finished or not. Somehow RM instil a fear in new starts along with a belief that we have to cover their ass daily.
So you employ someone and he goes home early on a regular basis then when you are busy he downs tools do you- A stop letting him go home early/find him other work/more work to do or B let him take the p###. Give and take is common sense if you are working over 39hrs then your workload needs looking at, you have every right to get it adjusted and cutting off is the only way to bring attention to it of course you must inform your manager before you leave the office.
But he wasn't suggesting anyone take the piss. :confused :confused

All we suggested is that SOMETIMES saying NO is okay, especially if you think they are taking the piss.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
cpsteve
Posts: 699
Joined: 20 Apr 2016, 15:46
Gender: Male

Just want to work my hours

Post by cpsteve »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
cpsteve wrote:
superports wrote:I agree wholeheartedly with TBT, it's good to say no, even just to show them that they can't rely on you to cover their shortcomings. We need to get out of the mindset that completing a delivery is our responsibility, it's not! I used to work in a factory, and once my finish time came, I was out of there. I didn't care if whatever it was I was producing was finished or not. Somehow RM instil a fear in new starts along with a belief that we have to cover their ass daily.
So you employ someone and he goes home early on a regular basis then when you are busy he downs tools do you- A stop letting him go home early/find him other work/more work to do or B let him take the p###. Give and take is common sense if you are working over 39hrs then your workload needs looking at, you have every right to get it adjusted and cutting off is the only way to bring attention to it of course you must inform your manager before you leave the office.
But he wasn't suggesting anyone take the piss. :confused :confused

All we suggested is that SOMETIMES saying NO is okay, especially if you think they are taking the piss.
And thats what i said if your workload is to much the only way in most cases to get it adjusted is to cut off, if you finish early most days IMO it is taking the p### bringing work back but thats just me ive worked flexible hours and as long as you have a good management/worker relationship it works fine.
superports
Posts: 171
Joined: 05 Nov 2009, 09:15
Gender: Male

Just want to work my hours

Post by superports »

cpsteve wrote:
superports wrote: So you employ someone and he goes home early on a regular basis then when you are busy he downs tools do you- A stop letting him go home early/find him other work/more work to do or B let him take the p###. Give and take is common sense if you are working over 39hrs then your workload needs looking at, you have every right to get it adjusted and cutting off is the only way to bring attention to it of course you must inform your manager before you leave the office.

Are you advocating a return to RM banking hours?
If I employed someone I would ensure he would have enough work to fill his contracted hours. I would also ask him if he can work overtime rather than expect him to do it.
If I am finished early and a manager wants me to work to my time by doing something else, I have no problem whatsoever with that. However, on a light day if I'm asked to work to my time I will be asking how many other people have been asked to do the same and how some people, on a light day, can come back at the same time as a normal day but I get "penalised" for being honest/efficient.
Also, if RM want me to work to my time during the lighter weeks, I'll be more than happy to work to my time during the heavier weeks.