ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Failing offices

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
CPTNemoUK
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 707
Joined: 03 Oct 2013, 10:13
Gender: Male

Failing offices

Post by CPTNemoUK »

Got back to the office today to see York's of packets failed. Two things why I don't give a toss.1 I'm off tomorrow and 2 my walk was cleared :nana. Merry Christmas everyone. :thumbup
samuraijack
Posts: 8
Joined: 09 Feb 2010, 16:22
Gender: Male

Failing offices

Post by samuraijack »

Lack of investment, especially at this time of the year is unforgivable by the powers that be, oh well as long as the big boy investors get there pound of flesh, feck the posties .
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Failing offices

Post by Dorset Plodder »

Apparently Poole Mail Centre failed for the 3rd day in a row. :shock: My DO seems to managing..... Just. But relies on the same group of Posties, I will not call them, "The Chosen Few", because they're more like, "The Damned"! They're the ones that have committed to coming in early, taking out extra loops and parcels on overtime and covering the collections. :sad: They're getting to look a bit frazzled, I think they did it for previous Christmases but this one seems to be a lot harder. :hmmmm

I'm not too bothered as I'm getting help with my Duty, still doing a bit of OT but nothing stupid. I refuse to be emotionally blackmailed into sorting out RM's badly organised Christmas! :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
Brandy
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 729
Joined: 12 Sep 2011, 21:03
Gender: Female

Failing offices

Post by Brandy »

mdm wrote:
Brandy wrote:You poor posties,so glad I got out.This company is an utter disgrace!!!! :no no
I'm out of it as well and it seems nothing changes does it! I've been talking to my usual postie and I can tell he's stressed to hell! :confused
Exactly,the postie is a special breed,great hardworking people who are being treated appallingly, :no no
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

Failing offices

Post by Seymour Buts »

comeracing wrote:
redheadedwoman wrote:
Justanotherstar wrote:Benfleet office had 19 go sick...as well as a manager :chuckle :chuckle :chuckle :chuckle

Don't think they'll ever catch up
How many in the office?
20 :Very Happy
Did the sole plodder manage to pick up the slack? :funneh Plenty of overtime, if they're interested.
woody38
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 273
Joined: 19 Apr 2016, 08:38
Gender: Male

Failing offices

Post by woody38 »

At our office the more u moan the more they help u, the moaners coming back on time looking relaxed and fresh, everybody else knackered & done in.
kingeric
Posts: 133
Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 13:45
Gender: Male

Failing offices

Post by kingeric »

woody38 wrote:At our office the more u moan the more they help u, the moaners coming back on time looking relaxed and fresh, everybody else knackered & done in.
Think it's like that at most offices.

I'm one of the guys who has been coming in early and working later to clear the parcels. These moaners all say "why are you helping them out?". Yet they get all the help and are tending to finish early too.

But I'm not doing this to help royal mail. I've been in the job a long time now and I've always seen Xmas as a time to build up a bit of overtime to have a few good night's out over Xmas. I also want to make sure my customers get everything they ordered. Our managers have been working all hours and going out covering rows of walks too. So it's not like they're sat laughing at us. It is a tough time this year and like others have said we're all feeling tired and worn out now. But it's nearly over.

One thing I have noticed is there are less people willing to go that extra mile than in recent years so royal mail really needs to rethink its strategy for next Xmas because one year there will be a massive collapse if not.
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Failing offices

Post by k979aaa »

Brandy wrote:
mdm wrote:
Brandy wrote:You poor posties,so glad I got out.This company is an utter disgrace!!!! :no no
I'm out of it as well and it seems nothing changes does it! I've been talking to my usual postie and I can tell he's stressed to hell! :confused
Exactly,the postie is a special breed,great hardworking people who are being treated appallingly, :no no
Told my manager to f**k Off today needed to be said and don't be afraid of saying it somethings are more important than ROYAL FAIL!
DGH
Posts: 710
Joined: 13 Dec 2014, 18:04
Gender: Male
Location: Neither here nor there

Failing offices

Post by DGH »

kingeric wrote: One thing I have noticed is there are less people willing to go that extra mile than in recent years so royal mail really needs to rethink its strategy for next Xmas because one year there will be a massive collapse if not.
Very true.

I don't know which genius(es) amongst the directors thought that a summer autumn strategy of attempting to force unfeasible flexing on already overlong walks whilst simultaneously threatening to slash pension benefits and massively degrade terms and conditions would motivate staff to go 'the extra mile' at Christmas, but they're reaping the consequences in our office for one. A small core of staff (largely but not exclusively those on rural deliveries and new starters) are working very long days indeed in an attempt to clear. But we have about 50% of rounds that have at least 2-3 days worth of packets and letters still to clear and a good few others who are still a day behind.

It is a proper shambles.
Nigel1505
Posts: 409
Joined: 10 Jun 2010, 08:24
Gender: Male

Failing offices

Post by Nigel1505 »

Ours failed gain this year, no difference from previous years, will get sorted in January as usual. They will insist in having Xmas in December, when we are busy. :nana
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Failing offices

Post by k979aaa »

Nigel1505 wrote:Ours failed gain this year, no difference from previous years, will get sorted in January as usual. They will insist in having Xmas in December, when we are busy. :nana
They never learn but still get a bonus hay hoe!
IloveMYredTROLLEY!
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1923
Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 06:54
Gender: Male

Failing offices

Post by IloveMYredTROLLEY! »

One day something radical might happen, like setting duty sizes by the Xmas pressure workload, rather than typically a super quiet model week in August.

... When we have long since been pushing up the daisies! :cuppa
Shaders
Posts: 218
Joined: 22 Jun 2010, 07:47
Gender: Male
Location: Oop North

Failing offices

Post by Shaders »

We are only a medium size office with roughly 40 walks, mail centre crippled, didn’t get any sequence today and then 5 York’s of packets come in too late so are sat there waiting for tomorrow, along with what comes in tomorrow.

Think tomorrow is going to be a very interesting day, hardly anyone is willing to work over
wallop
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 251
Joined: 02 Feb 2011, 07:34
Gender: Male

Failing offices

Post by wallop »

Justanotherstar wrote:Benfleet office had 19 go sick...as well as a manager :chuckle :chuckle :chuckle :chuckle

Don't think they'll ever catch up
Doubt my Mum will get her Xmas card then,I only posted this morning. :cool

The one she sent me took a week and i only got last weeks payslip on Wednesday.
toomuchcoke
Posts: 309
Joined: 05 Jun 2011, 18:15
Gender: Male

Failing offices

Post by toomuchcoke »

samuraijack wrote:Tell me ,how many other d/o s failing? Always had 4 dedicated drivers for large pkts ect,now this year we have 1 sometimes. walks not going out ,packets sometimes in the office for upto 3 days,moral has never been so bad at Christmas plus people unsurprisingly are just going off with stress.In 14 years this has truly been the worst so far. Sad thing is I can not see things getting any better ,deal or no deal.
Several of my colleagues have commented that this has been the most shambolic Christmas they've ever seen. I think the situation in my office is largely down to a combination of a fecked off collection of staff due to some on-going local issues, and a (new-ish) management team who I believe are inexperienced with managing an office of our size and with our split of town:rural deliveries. (They're also not great at communicating or organising, but credit where credit is due they are better than average at responding to developing situations.) Wonder of wonders the office is actually largely clearing every day, though that's largely due to some heroic efforts by those staff who haven't quite thrown the towel in yet - I suspect that the office overtime budget has been smashed into smithereens, and the pieces then stomped on a lot!