ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Christmas pressure

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
thekiddykid
Posts: 116
Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 15:38

Christmas pressure

Post by thekiddykid »

Our office was a total joke yesterday. Yorks of oversize packets left everywhere, mail left in fittings by fed up posties not wanting to work till 230 on a Saturday, and god knows what waiting for us in the morning!!!! Valium anyone :crazy:
postslippete
Posts: 4198
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

Christmas pressure

Post by postslippete »

thekiddykid wrote:Our office was a total joke yesterday. Yorks of oversize packets left everywhere, mail left in fittings by fed up posties not wanting to work till 230 on a Saturday, and god knows what waiting for us in the morning!!!! Valium anyone :crazy:

I expect most offices are trying to run their business on a shoestring. Previous at Xmas, DOMs would throw everyone into working overtime, and most staff would gladly do it when you knew you could still get finished by 2pm. Now, no-one seems to like finishing at 4-5pm, and who can blame them??
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
sixfoottwo
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 569
Joined: 11 May 2017, 15:15
Gender: Male

Christmas pressure

Post by sixfoottwo »

Left a loop in today and a york stacked with parcels for that loop, first time I've culled in over 10 years! strangely felt bad doing it :sad:

I think I am losing it :confused
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Christmas pressure

Post by k979aaa »

sixfoottwo wrote:Left a loop in today and a york stacked with parcels for that loop, first time I've culled in over 10 years! strangely felt bad doing it :sad:

I think I am losing it :confused
It's not you Royalmail has lost it service it's a joke profit before anything attitude and it's all failed even before we went on strike!
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Christmas pressure

Post by Celgar »

sixfoottwo wrote:Left a loop in today and a york stacked with parcels for that loop, first time I've culled in over 10 years! strangely felt bad doing it :sad:

I think I am losing it :confused
Personally, and I suspect I am in the majority in saying, that most posties allegiance lies with who we deem to be the customer and whom RM deem to be the recipient. I can't remember the last time I cut off which is also why I effectively do a lot of work unpaid. The walks are all to long in my humble opinion and we have travelled too far down the road to fix it now. Just throw elastoplast at the damage and hope it all holds together. :mad
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
sixfoottwo
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 569
Joined: 11 May 2017, 15:15
Gender: Male

Christmas pressure

Post by sixfoottwo »

Celgar wrote:
sixfoottwo wrote:Left a loop in today and a york stacked with parcels for that loop, first time I've culled in over 10 years! strangely felt bad doing it :sad:

I think I am losing it :confused
Personally, and I suspect I am in the majority in saying, that most posties allegiance lies with who we deem to be the customer and whom RM deem to be the recipient. I can't remember the last time I cut off which is also why I effectively do a lot of work unpaid. The walks are all to long in my humble opinion and we have travelled too far down the road to fix it now. Just throw elastoplast at the damage and hope it all holds together. :mad
Did I misread that bit :confused

Going back to my situation, I hate leaving stuff in to be quite honest and like I say it doesn't normally happen however I have commitments outside work which I can't just drop sadly.
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Christmas pressure

Post by Celgar »

Nope you didn't misread that. Our walks are acknowledged by our DOM to be the longest in our area. Given that RM have reorganised the whole network into four areas this isn't necessarily a good situation. But we were informed today that most other offices are lapsing whereas we are not.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
Creditshampoo
Posts: 1189
Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
Gender: Male

Christmas pressure

Post by Creditshampoo »

Celgar wrote:Before last year we could book all extended delivery at Christmas time. Last year they had more of a budget and were talking about spreading it out fairly so people who were getting done before time wouls get paid some extended.
As I mentioned in my other post though the rest of the year we don't get paid for any work done past the finish time on our ownwe won't be able to book any Christmas pressure either til the W/C 4th or 11th of December - hopefully from the 4th December.
I don't think we will get any for this week either which is bad really.
Right.....WHAT
Creditshampoo
Posts: 1189
Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
Gender: Male

Christmas pressure

Post by Creditshampoo »

Celgar wrote:Nope you didn't misread that. Our walks are acknowledged by our DOM to be the longest in our area. Given that RM have reorganised the whole network into four areas this isn't necessarily a good situation. But we were informed today that most other offices are lapsing whereas we are not.
Don’t work for free what on Earth are you playing at
South_London_Postie
Posts: 306
Joined: 18 Nov 2016, 19:58
Gender: Male

Christmas pressure

Post by South_London_Postie »

Never ever work for free. Ever. Either claim over time or cut off. Royal Mail have to pay for their business decisions. This isn’t a charity!
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Christmas pressure

Post by Postie45 »

if someone is going to work for free to cover up over the cracks, then they have no right to complain
crimson king
Posts: 783
Joined: 20 Aug 2017, 16:37
Gender: Male

Christmas pressure

Post by crimson king »

Noticed a lot of stuff being left in frames and brought back in our DO and am beginning to see why. Like someone said above I also try to deliver everything for the customers on my duty, but the constant questioning by management is baffling.

I'm going in early to do parcels and am happy enough to go over, but it's certainly not for the money (I'm not some rich eccentric, just not wired up to care about money too much as long I have just enough!). Yet you have to wonder what the point is when you're questioned over how many parcels you have in your van first thing and then when you get back later on from your duty you have your extended overtime questioned. I don't get it...why harass people who are happy and willing to help out? It seems like management think we're all on the make and going out and parking up to have a twenty minute nap between each loop.

Way I'm starting to see it is if you're gonna get harassed for trying to help out then you might as well get harassed for having a lie-in and starting and finishing to time. :cuppa
Sooner or later, a beat dog bites.