ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Are you cutting off this Christmas?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.

Are you cutting off this Christmas due to a lack of extra staff in delivery?

YES
232
73%
NO
85
27%
 
Total votes: 317

calsae
Posts: 95
Joined: 02 Jul 2013, 21:50
Gender: Male

Are you cutting off this Christmas?

Post by calsae »

I just want to work my hours, no more no less.
My rest day after Christmas is Tuesday (Boxing Day). Can I insist on another day off that week as I don't want the day added to my leave allocation? :hmmmm
yellowbelly
Posts: 3731
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
Gender: Male

Are you cutting off this Christmas?

Post by yellowbelly »

calsae wrote:I just want to work my hours, no more no less.
My rest day after Christmas is Tuesday (Boxing Day). Can I insist on another day off that week as I don't want the day added to my leave allocation? :hmmmm
Think the rule is only if it can be accommodated operationally, if not then you have the choice between day off in lieu or pay but ensure you
inform management beforehand as don't think the choice can be made retrospectively.

And the link to the whole bank holiday/lieu day/pay topic thread is here (perhaps worthy of a bump too):

https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communi ... oliday+pay" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HarryPoorer
Posts: 112
Joined: 06 Jul 2011, 21:07
Gender: Male

Are you cutting off this Christmas?

Post by HarryPoorer »

last year the mail was delayed right up until xmas eve, this year, failing already but now we do more scanning, loop 7's and emptying pillar boxes! :arrrghhh
calsae
Posts: 95
Joined: 02 Jul 2013, 21:50
Gender: Male

Are you cutting off this Christmas?

Post by calsae »

yellowbelly wrote:
calsae wrote:I just want to work my hours, no more no less.
My rest day after Christmas is Tuesday (Boxing Day). Can I insist on another day off that week as I don't want the day added to my leave allocation? :hmmmm
Think the rule is only if it can be accommodated operationally, if not then you have the choice between day off in lieu or pay but ensure you
inform management beforehand as don't think the choice can be made retrospectively.

And the link to the whole bank holiday/lieu day/pay topic thread is here (perhaps worthy of a bump too):

https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communi ... oliday+pay" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;


Thanks for the link :thumbup
weary_posty
Posts: 225
Joined: 01 Jul 2011, 15:08
Gender: Male

Are you cutting off this Christmas?

Post by weary_posty »

Me and my partner are working to rule... going over a couple hours every day. Managers seem happy to pay us and we're happy with the OT.

I like to try and not let down the recipients (because they're not the customers im told) this time of year. They usually look after us in return
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Are you cutting off this Christmas?

Post by Dorset Plodder »

weary_posty wrote:Me and my partner are working to rule... going over a couple hours every day. Managers seem happy to pay us and we're happy with the OT.

I like to try and not let down the recipients (because they're not the customers im told) this time of year. They usually look after us in return
This statement doesn't seem to tie up with you saying you're working a couple of hours extra a day. Surely if you are actually working to rule (although I hate that saying) you would be finishing at the end of your contracted hours? :hmmmm

If anyone fancies a bit of overtime I haven't got a problem. It's only when managers "Assume" that everyone will
be "Going that extra mile" (another saying I hate) that I get upset. Christmas pressure should be planned for and if extra staff are needed they should be drafted in. I refuse to feel guilty because there's too much mail for me to deliver within my Duty time. :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)