I agree with what you're saying about just sticking together and suck up the hand you're dealt, but I'm not sure it'd be that easy to just flip it over next time.wandle wrote:Any start / finish time the CWU Executive choose for Industrial Action* is always going to have different losses of pay for different individual members. This can't be avoided when you have so many duty patterns in place in deliveries, MCs and even RDCs. If a second wave of strikes becomes necessary, one would hope that for the sake of 'sharing the load' (in terms of pay lost), an 11pm commencement point would be picked, so that those who lose more pay than others THIS time, would see the reverse scenario next time.
Personally, I know that when I voted YES on that ballot paper, I would be called on to lose money. I'm not going to get all bitter and twisted about some people losing a bit less than I do. We have to stand together or we're all f***ed !!!
It just occurred to me that as a person on a 4-day duty, I'll lose 50% of my wages that week. Others on 5 days will lose 40% BUT THAT'S IMMATERIAL. If we don't stand up for ourselves now, and stand in solidarity, the amount of earnings and pension we'll ALL lose in the future makes a couple of days pay look a tiny sacrifice in comparison !!!
*always tickles me, that phrase. Industrial Inaction is what we'll be giving RM
11pm Thursday to 11pm Saturday will capture nearly everyone in deliveries for two days. No one will be losing three days like they are now.
I think that because of the Saturday being used this time, there are some part timers being captured for three days, as people are saying they start late on weekdays but then a more "normal" time on Saturday. If it was done during mid week then it would have been more likely that that wouldn't have happened. But I understand the union just wanted to put it in asap to show intent.
I do hope the six week rotation is took into consideration though next time. As it stands in our area we have part timers caught for three days and full timers on a four day week with Fri/Sat off not losing anything.
Just sayin' though. Ain't moanin'.