ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

management phoning me on my days off to come into work

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
NWpostie
Posts: 3620
Joined: 04 Aug 2007, 17:32
Gender: Male
Location: Sector 001 Borg Collective, 6 o f 9

management phoning me on my days off to come into work

Post by NWpostie »

Think of it this way. They are quick to ask you to come in on overtime on your day off or indeed any other dau to "help out", have they "helped you" out when you wanted a day off ?

In my work they're quick to ask for favours but not so quick when I want to book or swap days off, consequently I don't do any favours. :cuppa
Six of Nine loves Seven of Nine, together in Electric Dreams.
worthings
Posts: 12
Joined: 08 Jun 2014, 21:18
Gender: Male

management phoning me on my days off to come into work

Post by worthings »

I turned my phone off while on delivery and they drove out too me to do some extra
eastie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2234
Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
Gender: Male

management phoning me on my days off to come into work

Post by eastie »

worthings wrote:I turned my phone off while on delivery and they drove out too me to do some extra
hope you told them where to go
Gangham_style14
Posts: 105
Joined: 15 Feb 2017, 19:12
Gender: Male

management phoning me on my days off to come into work

Post by Gangham_style14 »

I get a text a week before my rotation.... can I work any my rotation ? FOCK NO !!!!!!

Our office is understaffed it's ridiculous
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

management phoning me on my days off to come into work

Post by Lounge Lizard »

in a dodgy voice answer "Chinese Laundry" :Applause :Applause :thumbup :thumbup
aintsayin6766997
Posts: 21
Joined: 24 Jan 2012, 16:53
Gender: Male

management phoning me on my days off to come into work

Post by aintsayin6766997 »

I don't have a phone, but if I did they wouldn't have my number.

Is it too difficult to shrug off this self-imposed tyranny?
woopesh
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 230
Joined: 30 Dec 2015, 22:02
Gender: Male

management phoning me on my days off to come into work

Post by woopesh »

I find being a bit rude works well.

DIM: Do you want to work on your rest day?
ME:No.

DIM:Please we are so short.
ME: I'm in the middle of something. I'll see you (day after rest day) Hope you can find someone. Bye.

Hang up.

I'm driving as a precursor to hanging up works well too. Any bullshit excuse will do.

No need to keep dragging it out. They don't call back. Sometimes they do take offense, but hey. Better than the ridiculous tooing and froing that comes from not hanging up on them and having to say no again and again.
ThatsNotPlumb
Posts: 165
Joined: 08 Feb 2012, 22:33
Gender: Male

management phoning me on my days off to come into work

Post by ThatsNotPlumb »

woking wrote:for the past few months I dread my days off as I know that management will be ringing asking me to come into work.we've had a lot go sick at our office & they are very short on cover so occasionally I do go in & help them out but lately it's been getting beyond a joke & I'm seriously thinking about changing my phone number just so I can enjoy my time off & not have the worry that they will be calling.thay have now started calling from private numbers so I don't know who's calling. i keep saying I don't want or need the overtime but they don't listen.what can I do?
The easiest advice is just say no thanks you have already made plans, even if your plans are simply to just lounge around your house all day & enjoy a relaxing day off.

If you don't even want to deal with talking with them, I'd just ignore the call, generally speaking I don't answer any calls from withheld numbers anyway as 99.99% of the time they're scam calls, people looking me to buy something or just in general people I've no interest in talking to.

If the problem is them even calling you to begin with, the only way to get them to stop that is to just ask them could they not contact you on your day off for any reason.
bmccoll
Posts: 190
Joined: 21 Sep 2015, 22:19
Gender: Male

management phoning me on my days off to come into work

Post by bmccoll »

My missus came up with the perfect excuse..." you can either fall out with your boss, or you can fall out with me!" NO CONTEST! That was many years ago and they haven't asked me since. :nana