ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Christmas tips

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
madmax1
Posts: 72
Joined: 01 Sep 2015, 14:39
Gender: Male

Christmas tips

Post by madmax1 »

.
Last edited by madmax1 on 21 Dec 2016, 21:18, edited 1 time in total.
Janet Brum
Posts: 886
Joined: 28 Sep 2016, 19:52
Gender: Female

Christmas tips

Post by Janet Brum »

I`ve got no tips, but I`ve found some coins on my walks, about £2,50 so far :dance :chuckle
wannabeek
Posts: 996
Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
Gender: Male

Christmas tips

Post by wannabeek »

If it says 'to postie' then it belongs to the postie that day. If it says 'to Bert' then either leave it there until he delivers there or take it and give it to Bert. This isn't rocket science eh.

I found a box of chocolates, no tag, in a box where the mail goes. Just left it there, might have been a present for the homeowners from a neighbour for all I cared.
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

Christmas tips

Post by rambo1 »

wacko74 wrote:In my experience it's only the rurals that get serious tips. no surprise really as these are the only duties that are cushy enough for the postie to have the time to do the old fashioned things like stop and chat with customers.
Rurals in our office are some of the longest duties, so I wouldn't exactly call them cushy! Very little in the way of tips so far either.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Christmas tips

Post by Dorset Plodder »

wannabeek wrote: I found a box of chocolates, no tag, in a box where the mail goes. Just left it there, might have been a present for the homeowners from a neighbour for all I cared.
We had a lad one year went around his duty and lifted all the beer they'd left out for the Dustbin men. "Well they never gave me a tip...Sod Em"! was his reply when we queried it. He was well pissed that Christmas! :nana
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
mickeymacca
Posts: 503
Joined: 21 Jun 2012, 18:03
Gender: Male

Christmas tips

Post by mickeymacca »

rambo1 wrote:
wacko74 wrote:In my experience it's only the rurals that get serious tips. no surprise really as these are the only duties that are cushy enough for the postie to have the time to do the old fashioned things like stop and chat with customers.
Rurals in our office are some of the longest duties, so I wouldn't exactly call them cushy! Very little in the way of tips so far either.
I concur with that, rurals used to be a doddle, not anymore. Dutyholders transfering the other way back into the town at our DO.
'Libraries gave us power'
Yanto
Posts: 2
Joined: 03 Dec 2016, 08:33
Gender: Male

Christmas tips

Post by Yanto »

I cover 3 big rurals..annual leave, sick leave and if the duty holders get taken off to cover other duties (which they generally don't object to as these are BIG rurals!)

The 3 duty holders do very well for tips (at least £600 each)

I always hand over any tips to the duty holders regardless of what's written on the envelope... sum total they've shared with me this year?... ZERO

Next year I'll be adopting a policy of finders keepers
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Christmas tips

Post by Dorset Plodder »

Yanto wrote:I cover 3 big rurals..annual leave, sick leave and if the duty holders get taken off to cover other duties (which they generally don't object to as these are BIG rurals!)

The 3 duty holders do very well for tips (at least £600 each)

I always hand over any tips to the duty holders regardless of what's written on the envelope... sum total they've shared with me this year?... ZERO

Next year I'll be adopting a policy of finders keepers
You're up early Yanto! Don't blame you with your policy for next year. That seems a bit tight not getting anything! :no no I was on a Large Duty on the run up to Christmas, so large in fact that I used the Over Running Procedure and left nearly the top row of mail & packets (about 110 delivery points) every day for the two weeks up to Christmas. This Top Row was taken by one of our "Christmas Special" Guys and was about 2 hours work, which he did after doing a Parcels Run. :thumbup

I was going to give him a cut of my tips but in the end decided it was probably fair to just let him collect, and keep, all the tips for the 20% of the duty he'd delivered for the last 2 weeks. :hmmmm I gave him a bottle of Plonk as a Personal Thank You and he never mentioned any tips, or passed on any cards to me, so we'll wait and see if anything's said after Christmas. :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
wannabeek
Posts: 996
Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
Gender: Male

Christmas tips

Post by wannabeek »

Back when I was new I used to do the right thing and return all tips to the frame, assuming they'd be allocated fairly. That is what happened in every other job in many industries before I worked here.

I was staggered that I got nothing at all. This is RM I thought, surely a last bastion of British honesty and morality.

No. It isn't. Maybe it never was, I never knew it in the 'good old days'.
ewancurze
Posts: 400
Joined: 22 Jun 2010, 19:25
Gender: Male

Christmas tips

Post by ewancurze »

For the past 3 years myself and my partner have added the tips and divided by 2 so to have an equal share each (and given the Cover man 1/6).....this year my partner has got a lot more than me.....so does not want to do the share.

Means that I am about £80 down on the deal,can't be bothered to have a row about it but if next year I get the most...trust me I will remember!