ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

is it time to take a stand over the overtime/working for free issue?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Chelseablue
Posts: 2227
Joined: 19 Aug 2013, 14:33
Gender: Female

is it time to take a stand over the overtime/working for free issue?

Post by Chelseablue »

our lino has so much complaints against him and the way he treats staff , surely you should have some people skills for this line of work ?
Jpro747
Posts: 1342
Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
Gender: Male

is it time to take a stand over the overtime/working for free issue?

Post by Jpro747 »

Ok so most offices have all had revisions to make the rounds supposedly achievable in the alloted time. However, since then we are now expected to:

- Lapse almost all year round (not just in summer)
- Deliver to neighbours
- Scan 2D barcodes

All takes extra time especially when you factor in the amount of parcels we deliver has also risen
delfranklin1969
Posts: 83
Joined: 09 Jul 2015, 17:03
Gender: Male

is it time to take a stand over the overtime/working for free issue?

Post by delfranklin1969 »

andyjackpot wrote:I must be in a good office

every single minute of overtime we worked - we get paid for end off

No arguments no hassle

only problem occurs when you forget to forecast it.

But I have never ever experinced or heard about in our office of working for "free"
Same with my office but we are heavily unionized and they really got our backs, we even have a right of way where we are not allowed to go out before a certain time and management have to get permission from the union guys to bring it forward on a quieter day! I have never had an issue with over time not being paid, my van share is the biggest in the office and lucky for them I don't mind going a little over some days to clear the mail if need be. Not all roses though as the office has some serious issues but I am lucky in the sense I just do my own thing and get left alone!
woopesh
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 230
Joined: 30 Dec 2015, 22:02
Gender: Male

is it time to take a stand over the overtime/working for free issue?

Post by woopesh »

Chelseablue wrote:our lino has so much complaints against him and the way he treats staff , surely you should have some people skills for this line of work ?
I thought all they had to do was meet financial targets using any means possible? I imagine this is how they are instructed when sent on training.
woopesh
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 230
Joined: 30 Dec 2015, 22:02
Gender: Male

is it time to take a stand over the overtime/working for free issue?

Post by woopesh »

Chelseablue wrote:our lino has so much complaints against him and the way he treats staff , surely you should have some people skills for this line of work ?
I thought all they had to do was meet financial targets using any means possible? I imagine this is how they are instructed when sent on training.
robbertwhitton
Posts: 1132
Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
Gender: Male

is it time to take a stand over the overtime/working for free issue?

Post by robbertwhitton »

Get the actors you see in the courier to do the work.,all seems fine and dandy in their world??
tommyrep
Posts: 561
Joined: 28 Feb 2012, 21:57
Gender: Male

is it time to take a stand over the overtime/working for free issue?

Post by tommyrep »

delfranklin1969 wrote:
andyjackpot wrote:I must be in a good office

every single minute of overtime we worked - we get paid for end off

No arguments no hassle

only problem occurs when you forget to forecast it.

But I have never ever experinced or heard about in our office of working for "free"
Same with my office but we are heavily unionized and they really got our backs, we even have a right of way where we are not allowed to go out before a certain time and management have to get permission from the union guys to bring it forward on a quieter day! I have never had an issue with over time not being paid, my van share is the biggest in the office and lucky for them I don't mind going a little over some days to clear the mail if need be. Not all roses though as the office has some serious issues but I am lucky in the sense I just do my own thing and get left alone!
You have already explained your own failings and the real reason RM management continue to abuse delivery staff. You, in your own description all all right Jack ! You follow the line, get no hassle and left alone. Shame on you for posting such a statement. You are a perfect example of the old divide and rule, keep some happy at the expense of others. You are lucky ? Maybe so far, tables may turn in future and you may wish for some support, the same support sadly lacking on your colleagues that " don't get left alone " !
steveoooo1
Posts: 58
Joined: 11 Aug 2015, 19:40
Gender: Male

is it time to take a stand over the overtime/working for free issue?

Post by steveoooo1 »

wow not very shocked reading some of these comments..

We have a new manager at our place who has never done a days delivery... looking at us all like we are a piece of s**t as we are requesting an hours overtime. I am on a 31 hour contract with a xmas 13.18 finish time(normally 13.48) and don't usually claim as finished before my time most days. obviously the xmas period is more of everything so I requested a provisional 2 hour OT request to be looked at like I had thrown his favorite teddy in the stream. FT's were also claiming one hour.

I bet he won't pay it.

Before anyone says cut off. I was told by previous manager that the dsm had said if anyone cut off they would lose the xmas bonus and be moved off their walk.

Also we have no unit rep which doesn't help.

Merry xmas one and all :thumbup
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

is it time to take a stand over the overtime/working for free issue?

Post by aiden01 »

steveoooo1 wrote:wow not very shocked reading some of these comments..

We have a new manager at our place who has never done a days delivery... looking at us all like we are a piece of s**t as we are requesting an hours overtime. I am on a 31 hour contract with a xmas 13.18 finish time(normally 13.48) and don't usually claim as finished before my time most days. obviously the xmas period is more of everything so I requested a provisional 2 hour OT request to be looked at like I had thrown his favorite teddy in the stream. FT's were also claiming one hour.

I bet he won't pay it.

Before anyone says cut off. I was told by previous manager that the dsm had said if anyone cut off they would lose the xmas bonus and be moved off their walk.

Also we have no unit rep which doesn't help.

Merry xmas one and all :thumbup
how can they make you lose your Xmas bonus and be moved off your walk for finishing at your official time more management bollocks talk :hmmmm
steveoooo1
Posts: 58
Joined: 11 Aug 2015, 19:40
Gender: Male

is it time to take a stand over the overtime/working for free issue?

Post by steveoooo1 »

aiden01 wrote:
steveoooo1 wrote:wow not very shocked reading some of these comments..

We have a new manager at our place who has never done a days delivery... looking at us all like we are a piece of s**t as we are requesting an hours overtime. I am on a 31 hour contract with a xmas 13.18 finish time(normally 13.48) and don't usually claim as finished before my time most days. obviously the xmas period is more of everything so I requested a provisional 2 hour OT request to be looked at like I had thrown his favorite teddy in the stream. FT's were also claiming one hour.

I bet he won't pay it.

Before anyone says cut off. I was told by previous manager that the dsm had said if anyone cut off they would lose the xmas bonus and be moved off their walk.

Also we have no unit rep which doesn't help.

Merry xmas one and all :thumbup
how can they make you lose your Xmas bonus and be moved off your walk for finishing at your official time more management bollocks talk :hmmmm
Hmmm I think the same but I wouldn't put it passed the DSM to try this. She made the manager of a local office dock the pay of a postie because his wife had an accident and he had to go home.
CharlesSpooner
Posts: 383
Joined: 20 Jul 2011, 15:22
Gender: Male

is it time to take a stand over the overtime/working for free issue?

Post by CharlesSpooner »

steveoooo1 wrote: Before anyone says cut off. I was told by previous manager that the dsm had said if anyone cut off they would lose the xmas bonus and be moved off their walk.

Also we have no unit rep which doesn't help.

Merry xmas one and all :thumbup
I'd be calling their bluff on that one. And if they did follow through I'd put in grievances against my lino, DOM and the DSM.
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

is it time to take a stand over the overtime/working for free issue?

Post by aiden01 »

steveoooo1 wrote:
aiden01 wrote:
steveoooo1 wrote:wow not very shocked reading some of these comments..

We have a new manager at our place who has never done a days delivery... looking at us all like we are a piece of s**t as we are requesting an hours overtime. I am on a 31 hour contract with a xmas 13.18 finish time(normally 13.48) and don't usually claim as finished before my time most days. obviously the xmas period is more of everything so I requested a provisional 2 hour OT request to be looked at like I had thrown his favorite teddy in the stream. FT's were also claiming one hour.

I bet he won't pay it.

Before anyone says cut off. I was told by previous manager that the dsm had said if anyone cut off they would lose the xmas bonus and be moved off their walk.

Also we have no unit rep which doesn't help.

Merry xmas one and all :thumbup
how can they make you lose your Xmas bonus and be moved off your walk for finishing at your official time more management bollocks talk :hmmmm
Hmmm I think the same but I wouldn't put it passed the DSM to try this. She made the manager of a local office dock the pay of a postie because his wife had an accident and he had to go home.
disgraceful behaviour maybe whole office should Finnish at official time for a few days. see if she carries out her threat and if she does simply ask cwu HQ for a rule13 ballot I,m sure it would,nt go down well in local press either.
steveoooo1
Posts: 58
Joined: 11 Aug 2015, 19:40
Gender: Male

is it time to take a stand over the overtime/working for free issue?

Post by steveoooo1 »

aiden01 wrote:
steveoooo1 wrote:
aiden01 wrote:
steveoooo1 wrote:wow not very shocked reading some of these comments..

We have a new manager at our place who has never done a days delivery... looking at us all like we are a piece of s**t as we are requesting an hours overtime. I am on a 31 hour contract with a xmas 13.18 finish time(normally 13.48) and don't usually claim as finished before my time most days. obviously the xmas period is more of everything so I requested a provisional 2 hour OT request to be looked at like I had thrown his favorite teddy in the stream. FT's were also claiming one hour.

I bet he won't pay it.

Before anyone says cut off. I was told by previous manager that the dsm had said if anyone cut off they would lose the xmas bonus and be moved off their walk.

Also we have no unit rep which doesn't help.

Merry xmas one and all :thumbup
how can they make you lose your Xmas bonus and be moved off your walk for finishing at your official time more management bollocks talk :hmmmm
Hmmm I think the same but I wouldn't put it passed the DSM to try this. She made the manager of a local office dock the pay of a postie because his wife had an accident and he had to go home.
disgraceful behaviour maybe whole office should Finnish at official time for a few days. see if she carries out her threat and if she does simply ask cwu HQ for a rule13 ballot I,m sure it would,nt go down well in local press either.
I defo feel this is what will happen in our office shortly.. :thumbup